Recruiting Group

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, Aug 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Too easy to just call them for the shower of shit that they actually are so I won't.

I will simply ask, why, on the day of A-level results are they not on the news saying "if you didn't get to the university of your choice and want something to add to your CV, join the TA as we have more Officer and Soldier vacancies than we can fill".

2. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Probably because it would have to be a phenomenally slow news day before some TA recruiter was given air time on news show to plug STAB-life. Silly season aside, there's plenty going on I'm guessing. If you mean why wasn't a recruitment drive/media campaign launched to coincide with this, I don't know, but I'd question the effectiveness of it in any case.

What I think would be a more fruitful approach would be for the Army recruitment stalls at Sixth Form careers fairs to proactively discuss the options of joining the TA or OTC whilst at or before Uni. I talked to a couple of the Sixth Formers at the school that I work at, who had expressed an interest in the Armed Forces and they had been completely unaware of the option. They'd just assumed that it was either a) Army or Uni. or b) Army after Uni. Perhaps units should liase with their local ACA so that they set up their own stalls at local schools and colleges?
  3. I've had a media studies student turn up adamant he had what it takes to be a VM. The cretin could hardly string a coherent sentence together yet some Guardian reading mong of a teacher had convinced him his mickey mouse degree would open any door for him.
  4. Sorry MSR, but that type of big picture thinking is three levels on an exponential scale beyond their capability. They spend millions on basic marketing which have little return apart from some marketing agencies making a fortune. Absolute shambles. I've approached somebody in a Bde and said "I can save you a good six figure sum per year (one contract not the many) if you go through me (TA business contacts etc.) but the answer was no, contracts in place etc etc.
  5. Not sure if you meant it this way but that makes it sound like a fall back option. "Can't do what you want to do? Sod it, we'll take you in!" I know everyone has to have a Plan B but there's a risk of making it sound like anyone can do it.

I agree with this. When I was in sixth form I was equally as ignorant. I had no idea I could join the Army AND study at the same time. Having joined the TA in my second year of uni my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner.
    TA and OTC stalls are at uni events but only the Regs came to our school.
  6. msr

msr LE

Surely that is their raison d'etre and the reason they have a multimillion pound budget?

All you need is one Uni Admissions Tutor to say 'We would look favourably on someone who has shown some initiative during the gap year, say by joining the TA' and we would be beating people off with a stick.

Another golden opportunity wasted.
  7. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

msr, all the funding in the world doesn't guarantee air time on a news programme (with the exception of BFBS, and even then ...) if they don't rate it as interesting or newsworthy. The TA/Army/MoD has no control over that. Believe me, I have witnessed Media Ops desperatrely trying to pump good news stories down the throat of a disinterested media.

As foir the Uni Admissions Tutor, well first you've got to find one willing to say that and then you've got to find a news organisation willing to give your mouth piece (and that's how s/he'll be viewed) air time. "Army wants to recruit school leavers" just isn't news.

Their multi-million pound budget would be better targeted at carrers advice literature that get handed out to school leavers and prospective under-graduates rather than on 10 secs of air time on the 6 o'clock news which most students won't be watching in any case. If you really want to tap into this market, coordinate with your local ACA (find them here: Army careers advisers ) and set up a stall at every fresher fair in your catchment area with a banner that says something like, "You can study and get paid to serve your country at the same time!" with appropriate images.
  8. msr

msr LE

Don't tell me, I already know. This is what RG are supposed to be doing. And they aren't.

9. I believe there is a hold on the money for things like that. The money is there but you're not allowed to touch it currently. (I'm talking specifically freshers fairs here, I'm not sure what the extent of the "ban" is or what it specifically involves ie if its units asking for money from RG or RG not being allowed to spend it.)
  10. RG, DRT(Ops) as it now is, has no money at the moment. All advertising, like the rest of the MOD, has been curtailed pending SDSR.

SDSR will change the dynamics and size of the Army and the TA. We know that much for sure.

Is now a good time to make promises in recruiting that will, in all liklihood, be incapable of delivery?
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Well that makes sense I suppose.
  12. More to the point where is the Multi million pound budget people are talking about??? Regional RLC TA recruiting got less than 50 grand for this year!!!
  13. msr

msr LE

14. Army recruiting is one thing but remember the Regualrs get the Lions share. I have been begging my way into various events in my local area trying to get some recruitment.
    50 Grand is what we have been told we can spend.
    Remember that a recruiting drive for the Regular army is cheaper than for the TA.
    The shop in Dalston came in a lot cheaper than the office they closed down.
  15. Just as Haldane predicted. RG have the recruiting money and it goes on the REGULAR Army.

....and FFS why the hell are Recruiting Offices not open on Saturdays !!