Recruiting and retaining for the Army Reserve - some TTPs

MightyBigEgo

War Hero
And the number of spaces on the SAAI course are cap badge specific. My cap badge, for four units, can send ONE per course. Bonkers. We have six people in my unit alone requesting to go on it.

Sent from my WM8850-mid using ARRSE mobile app

TamOShanter

Swinger
I know I am jumping on this quite late, however i have a few points. One major problem with the TA recruiting, and probably regular army also, is the lack of interest or understanding on social media at the local unit level. I am an ex regular now AR, and have contacted various unit PSAO's about joining units through Armynet and RFCA as well as individual units websites and their response either was very long in coming or did not happen. This is a first point of contact for many people and this can put people off or make them not even try any further. This is not a new phenomena, it was apparent when i first joined in 2007 as well as recently. The army and local units seem to be very poor as social media, I use it a lot and i guess the target market (probably 20 years younger then me) would find it the only method of finding out more information.
Not to be too much of a moaner I do think that in general the PSAO's have not been up to much in this respect (and for some in all aspects).
I could go on, as i am a bit of a gabbler me, about retention and compulsory training, but i won't as i have another job to do as well as help out with the kids. I didn't read the report attached, and i am guessing it is comprehensive, but i might try to soon as it seems to be well received and it is always good to see someone trying to tackle issues rather than moan about them.
rant over

TamOShanter

Swinger
Oh yeah, and courses, i agree, not much for AR, also I find it easier to do a week course than 2 weekend, but i can't get on any as i am not regular

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
One of the best approaches is to target regulars before they leave the Army and emphasise the joys of retained trades and rank.Also stress it can be a half way house if civvy life is not as hoped.

The other good approach is to give them a nominated contact rather than ringing the unit cold.

B

bokkatankie

One of the best approaches is to target regulars before they leave the Army and emphasise the joys of retained trades and rank.Also stress it can be a half way house if civvy life is not as hoped.

The other good approach is to give them a nominated contact rather than ringing the unit cold.
Question, how does all the retained rank stuff work in, say, a Yeomanry Sqn., would you not end up with way too many ranks for the roles available?

Purple_Emperor

War Hero
Question, how does all the retained rank stuff work in, say, a Yeomanry Sqn., would you not end up with way too many ranks for the roles available?
You can overbear and most Army Reserve units are understrength at the moment.

The_Duke

LE
But there is no guarantee of retaining rank - you only get to retain it if the reserve unit you want to join have the ability to offer you a post in that rank, overborn or otherwise.

Short term pain for long term gain?

If they join (sic) a flawed system, the will to get to CIC / trade training will fade away. The choice would be between a temporary numbers blip, until such time as the flaws in the new system are properly identified and ( one hopes ) remedied; vs. a gradual death by a thousand cuts...
Problem is if 1 person has a bad experience they tell 3 other people and multiple that out

Latest Threads