Recruit Remedial Training / Punishments

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by Modfather, Mar 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. The time published a piece yesterday titled 'NCOs get orders to ease discipline in pocket guide for parade ground'

To quote ...

"The guide, which is known as a “reminder card” and is no bigger than a business card, lists the maximum penalties that instructors can mete out to recruits who fail to achieve their exacting demands. The worst punishment an idle or incompetent recruit can receive amounts to no more than a 200-metre run, 15 sit-ups or 25 press-ups. Anything more strenuous is prohibited, as are group punishments."

The full piece is at

Times Article

Wondering if there are any comments anyone has about it?

2. This isn't a new system in some trg establishments, although the card is a new development for me. In general a set of guidelines, IMHO, are no bad thing, particularly for new instructors. Those that have worked in Ph 1 & 2 trg will be aware of the difficulties that this involves especially if you have less than fully motivated and capable recruits. It is very easy for the fresh instructor to be led to believe that a particular set of punishments is acceptable "because it happened to us" when in fact they are illegal, demotivational for the trainees and do nothing to enhance training. Before the flak starts let me also say that removing the prerogative of the JNCO to punish recruits would be a mistake but putting the onus for group punishments on the Pln/Tp Sgt and OC is not necessarily a bad thing. There is a thin and nebulous line between the acceptable and unacceptable and instructors should have this made quite clear to them

IMD

3. We had a 4-5page document saying what was& wasn't acceptable, the punishment hd to be pertinent to the subject being taught.... mapreading, twice 'round that grid square?

A card, as you say would be handy for novice instructors, IMOHO a good thing.

4. Aren't these punishments metered out in one go? Who gives out 100 press-ups exactly? No one does to my mind.

Nothing to stop repeat offenders getting repeat punishments though eh? I can image a 200m sprint performed 10 times could be a bugger.

TB

5. its all good on paper

it won't stop beastings though will it

6. I thought the punishments were far too weak at Lichfield. I was in basic last summer, and the biffs would have been rooted out much quicker if they'd have been given a slap and a proper run around.

Part if the problem with the 'yoof' these days is that they all think they know their 'rights'.

By introducing this kind of stuff the gobby recruits are going to know exactly what the punishment involved is and will be less concerned about making a balls up.

7. Not if they are doing it every few minutes though they won't. :thumright:

8. You are only allowed to use these punishments once every 45 mins.

9. Is that you saying you have seen & posess these cards?

10. If I remember rightly from my time as an instructor, you could only award three of these penalties in a 40 minute period.

In barracks as an orificer I tended to let the screws dish out the physical stuff while I assaulted the young men's minds. Essays were my normal mode of punishment. The recruits absolutely hated it because it took away their spare time in the evening. Length was relevant to the crime, as was the topic. For example, falling asleep in a Map Reading lesson (where a 200m sprint wasn't really workable and having someone knocking out press-ups would have distracted the rest of the class) would result in a 2-4 sided essay on taking bearings and working out 6-figure grid references. They also then had to learn the subject a bit more. As long as it's all recorded I couldn't find any problems with it.

In the field, on ex, of course the punishments had to be more physical as that is the nature of the environment that we were in at the time.

11. I have one and if the new CO is reading this then yes i carry it 24hrs a day! there is so much paper work to fill in now that it is just easer to wait for EX or PT. Looks good for the papers and all the mupits in RHQ

12. I have one and if the new CO is reading this then yes i carry it 24hrs a day! there is so much paper work to fill in now that it is just easer to wait for EX or PT. Looks good for the papers and all the mupits in RHQ

13. I have one and if the new CO is reading this then yes i carry it 24hrs a day! there is so much paper work to fill in now that it is just easer to wait for EX or PT. Looks good for the papers and all the mupits in RHQ

14. "The only way Joe learns, is when Joe feels pain." If I screw up, I should be punished, simple, and I wouldn't call any of those punishments on that card particularly taxing.

15. Punishment / Corrective Trg guides have been around for Yrs!!
    You have just got to be able to use your imagination to keep the litlle F***ers on their toes!