Recruit in public wearing uniform?

Well basically I'm a recruit at the moment. A reservist for now to see where it takes me etc. So have all my kit and uniform etc. My partner works at a large sport complex and the chairman out of the blue has asked if I can lay a wreath on behalf of them this Sunday at the war memorial nearby by as the usual member of the club who does it is away on exercise in Norway. Now hes been in the regs for a number of years so always does it in dress. I'm just a recruit at the moment I know but could I do this in my combats? Barrack shirt and beret etc. Or is that not a thing to do. Especially as a recruit. I'm used to seeing people do similiar in dress or vets wearing berets with jackets in regimental colours and medals. Don't want to be looking daft or even worse and looking like some walt.
Thanks and piss taking more than welcome.

ste14w

MIA
The best person to ask is one of your superiors.
Wearing uniform when not on duty is frowned upon, or at least it used to be.

What he said.

Piss taking coming up: Apart from that as a recruit you have not been taught the difference between your left foot and right foot so you may trip over and look silly.

RangdoOfArg

LE
Book Reviewer
As @ste14w says, run it by your unit. If it isn’t part of an official show, I doubt they will sanction it.
If it means that much to this organisation, perhaps the head honcho could lay a wreath?

Well basically I'm a recruit at the moment. A reservist for now to see where it takes me etc. So have all my kit and uniform etc. My partner works at a large sport complex and the chairman out of the blue has asked if I can lay a wreath on behalf of them this Sunday at the war memorial nearby by as the usual member of the club who does it is away on exercise in Norway. Now hes been in the regs for a number of years so always does it in dress. I'm just a recruit at the moment I know but could I do this in my combats? Barrack shirt and beret etc. Or is that not a thing to do. Especially as a recruit. I'm used to seeing people do similiar in dress or vets wearing berets with jackets in regimental colours and medals. Don't want to be looking daft or even worse and looking like some walt.
Ask your chain of command. They’ll need to okay it anyway as you’re wearing uniform ‘off duty.’
The army is actively encouraging community engagement so they might just give you the go ahead.
If you are, make sure you’re squared away and don’t big time it when asked, people will be very supportive of you as a recruit.

If not, suit/smart civvies.

ste14w

MIA
What he said.

Piss taking coming up: Apart from that as a recruit you have not been taught the difference between your left foot and right foot so you may trip over and look silly.
I imagine his recruit beret will also be a piss takers dream.

Countryboy

Old-Salt
If I were you I'd check the Army Dress Regulations (ADR), they are normally quite comprehensive and also check with your superior staff, just to be on the safe side.

Piss taking begins, As a recruit WTF are you doing with time of ya fcuking CROW, get ya boots bulled and ya bed space squared away......mutter, chunter, bollox, yoof of today etc.

Not been pulled once on my beret yet. No helicopter is landing on mine. My drill though yeah lots of work to do still and I know it lol all part of being a CROW

If you are on your own, please try to be in step.

The days of wearing uniform to thumb your way home on leave came to an end when PIRA targeted off duty soldiers and their families.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In fairness, I can think of no-one better to lay a wreath than someone who has only very recently and voluntarily, decided to put their life to the service of Queen and country.

Quite fitting.

'I know from moments such as these what I may be asked to do, but I gladly follow in the steps of boots bigger than mine.'

Piss take hat on - you crow ****. :)

Latest Threads