Recruit assesment day

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Subb0, Sep 26, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello i've got my assessment day coming up on Saturday and i have not trained because I was trying to put weight on and didn't want to burn energy (it worked sorta) any how i was wondering if I fail will I get help with getting up to the right speed and what happens on these day?
    (I can't do 44 press ups in 2 min )

Thank you.

2. Didnt anyone tell you that training will actually help you gain wieght ?

I'm sure you will get all the encouragement required on the day and you may surprise yourself . Have you had any guidance from your TA recruiting staff ?

3. Muscle weighs more than fat.. so if you want to put on weight, a good fitness regime is the way to go. As for the push ups etc.. have more faith in yourself.. you will be surprised what you can achieve when you put your mind to it, and have people there egging you on.

4. well thank you, i'm hoping that if i put in as much effort as I can they will help me out as they will see my effort I got some paper work telling me what to bring when and one bit of paper telling me what press ups and sit ups and aerobic test run do for you
    (e.g. the aim of the press ups test is to asses the muscular endurance of the muscles in your chest...et.c) and on the other side the minimum standard required the pass with male female and age graph mine is 44 press ups in 2 min 50 sits ups in 2 min and the run in 10:30 with some letters in bold saying this is the minimum.

My larger concern is if I fail i'm not going to be in trouble and I'll have some help with getting fit enough I guess I'll just have to take it as it comes. thank you for all the help

5. Bear in mind, 44x PU, 50x SU and 2.4km in 10.30 is the required endstate at the end of phase 1 training ISTR (although a few of the more interesting regiments require green passes before allowing enlistment). Very few regiments will kick you out if you get amber in the BFT/BPFA. However, you should do the best you can, as it's also an assessment of character.

However, if you want to gain weight, you want to gain good (muscular) weight, and the way to do that is train and eat loads. I'm sure your prospective unit will have a PTI you can get advice from. Come to that, I'm sure there are many PTIs on this board....

6. dont worry it will be fine.

how things change. when i did TA selection in 89 we had to do a 2 mile log race race, 8 mile CFT with 35 lb's webbing, and helmet (but without rifle) and sleep in a tent -8 degrees celsius in a tent in hamsterly forest for our selection weekend. it was far harder than anything i did in my (regular) REME basic training. during that regular training, on our first weekend exercise we had to come back to sleep at billet (though we had to sleep on floor in sleeping bags!!!!) - why ?- "cos its too cold and its your 1st weekend outside!!!!

when i rejoined the TA in 1994 they only had to do a 3 mile BFT!!!!

does anyone else think things are easier or is just the "ee when i was young un it wor hard lad, you wouldnt have lasted 2 minutes son!!!!!" syndrome!!!!!???!!!

7. Yes!

8. msr

msr LE

No, we haven't lowered the bar, just lengthened the run up.

msr