Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

Ozzy00

Clanker
I leave this week to lichfield, on my kitlist, it specifies that my clean clothing should be for an office environment, does that mean nore shirts and trousers? or stuff like jeans, ect?
Also, do i arrive in shirt, trousers and smart shoes too? and should i wear a tie for my face to face meeting at the end?
Another thing, how lenient are they with shaving? i dont really have facial hair, but its noticable-ish. you thing the staff will care if i dont shave?
First of I would like to say good luck
I went to Pirbright so may be wrong but should be pretty similar id imagine
Arrive in a Suit it makes a good impression
And at the Face to Face meeting again wear a suit tho you do get told too
Honestly I took both with me however I think I pretty much stayed in sports kit the whole time tho make sure you have trousers so you can go to the mess
Again
Good luck
Ozzy

MarsR

Crow
First of I would like to say good luck
I went to Pirbright so may be wrong but should be pretty similar id imagine
Arrive in a Suit it makes a good impression
And at the Face to Face meeting again wear a suit tho you do get told too
Honestly I took both with me however I think I pretty much stayed in sports kit the whole time tho make sure you have trousers so you can go to the mess
Again
Good luck
Ozzy
Thanks, another thing too, for the face 2 face meeting, what types of questions do they ask for you chosen job roles? stuff like why you want to join them? or specific info? Thanks for the reply

Ozzy00

Clanker
Thanks, another thing too, for the face 2 face meeting, what types of questions do they ask for you chosen job roles? stuff like why you want to join them? or specific info? Thanks for the reply
For me they told me what roles I could choose from and because I did well they suggested other roles but didnt make me feel like I had to choose another role and we talked about how I found Selection etc and asked why I chose the role I did

Email

Clanker
I leave this week to lichfield, on my kitlist, it specifies that my clean clothing should be for an office environment, does that mean nore shirts and trousers? or stuff like jeans, ect?
Also, do i arrive in shirt, trousers and smart shoes too? and should i wear a tie for my face to face meeting at the end?
Another thing, how lenient are they with shaving? i dont really have facial hair, but its noticable-ish. you thing the staff will care if i dont shave?
It only takes about a minute to shave so why wouldn't you? It will make you look cleaner and more presentable and there isn't a reason not to.

Mrsheeny

War Hero
This is what you’ll need ;

Day 1 - Travel down in smart clothing. Shirt, pants, tie, etc. You’ll get there, go for evening meal, sit around in lecture theatre until you go to bed.

Day 2 - You’ll be either having your medical, short physical tests (10mins Max) medicine ball throw, deadlift etc. Or waiting around all day either in the medical waiting room or waiting in the leisure room. So you’ll need a tracksuit and t shirt.

Day 3 - Clothes to do your run in ; shorts, t shirt and trainers. You do the team tasks after this and wear fatigues over the top, after the team tasks it’s shit/shower/shave for the interview in your smart clothes, straight after the interview you go home.

You don’t get chance to wear that second pair of trainers they ask for, nor will you get chance to wear any other clothes other than what I’ve stated. But if you must, throw in a pair of jeans, polo shirt and a jacket.

Tip - Shave the night before if you must, shower the night before too, fill up with food on the second day at breakfast (get a full English) because you’ll be fecking starving waiting round after the medical waiting for your dinner, fill up on your dinner too as you’re waiting again for evening meal.

Tip - Don’t drink too much water on the morning of day 2 before you have the blood pressure taken, don’t take salt the few days before either otherwise it could increase it and see that you’re sent home, don’t have coffee or tea at breakfast or any fizzy drinks.

Last edited:
Hi everyone. I finally got my deferral lifted today and was told that my assessment centre will be at the end of march.
Is there anything you guys could recommend for me to do to fully prepare.
I'm definitely going to up the amount of runs I'm doing. I'm running the 2k in 11 minute 25 atm so I need to get it down at least by 10 seconds which j think I will be able to do.
Also, will I be told what to bring to selection with me and are there people at the train station waiting for me??
Cheers in advance

Number 30

Swinger
Hi all,

I’ve just finished completing my 2 day Army selection at AC Lichfield, hopefully this post might help others in preparing and also what to expect when it’s your turn!

You have to arrive the late afternoon of the day before the 2 day selection. I arrived about 3.45pm at Lichfield train station, as soon as you get there it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who else is there waiting for the same reason! 40 lads standing there looking slightly apprehensive with cases and bags.

Not everyone is in a suit or clean shaven, there where people in jeans and even tracksuits, it didn’t seem to make any difference. But at the least I’d suggest smart casual, so you don’t look like a dick.

Arrival Day
At 4pm we where met by a SGT and walked across the road to a waiting coach. We where then told to stand against the wall in single file and produce a form of photographic ID and also that he would be searching bags randomly (don’t take anything with you you shouldn’t have or you’ll be history before you arrive at the AC) as he was giving us our number, which then basically becomes your name for the next 2 days. On the coach try and talk to a few of the lads as everyone feels the same and over the next 2 days you will have a laugh and bond.

After a short coach journey we arrived! We where staying in Dyott block and dropped off outside. We got our bags and taken into the lecture room where you will see a chair with 2 bibs with your number on. You take a seat, put on both your bibs and for next two hours it’s admin, don’t forget your ID or exam certificates because if you haven’t got it you can’t use it. Some things can be produced afterwards but other things can’t be, so try and be organised before you get there. You also get given a water bottle with your number on, which must be taken everywhere with you, this is to simulate a weapon and the SGT promised to mark anyone who lost it down.

The next part is the Icebreaker, I was dreading this as I hate talking in front of people but it ended up being a good laugh, we got given partners and had to get five pieces of information about each other and then present it to the rest of the group. It did exactly what it said on the tin and to be fair a lot of the anxiety left the room when we finished and a lot more of the lads where chatting to each other afterwards. Definitely not worth stressing over like I was!

Once all that’s out the way you get taken down the Mess for some food, to be fair I enjoyed the food there, always say please and thankyou and talk loud because the chef is a bit deaf and just bombards your plate with food if he doesn’t hear you say you don’t want something!

After evening meal it’s another presentation from the AC boss for about an hour then you get taken to your accommodation and allocated a room. The room sleeps 10-12 people and the SGT shouts out your number and tells you what room your in.
Top tip... when you walk in the room and are looking for a bed have a look where the sockets are placed because there are only 4 in the entire room. Also and trust me when I say this... take ear plugs unless you can sleep through snoring, we had a lad who’s snoring definitely could have caused an earthquake and it was a nightmare honestly!

Next it was time to make our beds and shower, the SGT insists you shower because Day 1 is medical day and your up at 5.30am and have to be dressed and stood by your bed at 5.55am to leave for breakfast. About 9pm your all sorted and you get an hour chill time before lights off at 10pm.

Day 1
Your up early and down the mess for breakfast, today will basically be the most boring day of your life so make sure you at least have a decent breakfast because being hungry will just make it worse.

After breakfast you have a brief on the days events. Our group was split up and half went to medical and half went to the classroom for the Cognative test and TST. Try and revise for your tests as they have a direct effect on what job choices are available to you. The Cognative test is a multiple choice test done on the computers and it’s basically the same as the practice one you get sent before selection, honestly it’s easy and nothing to worry about takes around 30min to complete. The TST is a bit harder and more maths based, it’s GCSE level but if you revise you shouldn’t have too much trouble with this either this one you get a timed 45mins to complete. I think the lads that didn’t have Maths or English qualifications had to sit some functional skills tests also. When you do your job choices you will need a certain score to be able to do them, if you don’t get your required score they let you do them again on day 2, there where a couple of lads that missed their scores by 1 or 2 marks and they did them again and passed.

The dreaded medical.....for me this was the worst part, it’s very much a hurry up and wait kind of situation. They look for any reason to defer you, so If you have a sore leg or grazed your knee when you where 10 and it’s not on your medical, my advice is don’t tell them. One of the lads got pulled up over a broken wrist when he was 4, bearing in mind he’s now 28 and it hasn’t bothered him since, he got grilled about it. Don’t have any fizzy drinks or loads of coffee at breakfast either, lots of lads had to have the more in depth heart check, and we lost about 7-8 lads at the medical for various different reasons. Just be patient and only answer what they ask and you will be fine. For everyone to complete the medical it takes allllllll day and is mind numbing.

They also do the mid thigh pull and the medicine ball throw at the end of the day, but it takes best part of 5 mins and is super easy, so again nothing to worry about.

After everyone has completed their medicals and exams you get rid of one of the bibs and get time for a shower and have your evening meal. After this there’s a presentation on phase 1 training and you get time to research your role etc in the classroom to prepare for the final interview the next day. Then it’s a bit of free time for a shower and bed. Day 1 is long and boring it does drain you so to be honest I was looking forward to bed.

Day 2
Today you will do your best effort 2km run, team tasks and interview.
The 2km run route isn’t to bad, it’s all on tarmac and you do 2 laps, it’s near enough rectangle in shape the two long straights are flat and the two shorter sides are about 50m in length and one goes uphill and one goes downhill. The hills are not huge maybe goes up/down approximately 6m over the 50m so nothing crazy as far as runs go. But definitely worth practicing something similar while your preparing for your assessment so your used to it. We had some fit lads at my intake and a couple where going for the para’s so they where off like greyhounds at the start. Don’t try and keep to anyone else’s pace or you will be blowing out your arse after the 1st lap. I just went at a decent pace the first lap and picked it up on the 2nd, when you can see the finish give it everything you have, the assessors will certainly mark your effort and you might need the seconds you save for your choice of job. I got 8.45 for my run and was happy with that.

You get about 5 mins after the run to have a drink and catch your breath before your marched down to the team task area. Your given some waterproof camo jacket and trousers and a helmet.

First it’s the grenade throw where you crawl through some mud and throw a grenade at the target. Make sure you shout grenade as loud as you can. But other than that it takes 5 min and is simple

Next it’s 3 different team tasks. You are divided into groups of 8 and given different tasks to do involving planks, Jerry cans and ammo tins. You compete against another group. Make sure you listen to the rules and have an input in the plan the assessors are listening and watching the whole time, make sure you listen to others and encourage everyone right the way through the exercise, if someone fucks up don’t shout or make a fuss, suck it up and crack on. It’s a good laugh so get stuck in, keep talking, encouraging and be positive the whole time and you will pass no problem. For me I enjoyed this part the most out of everything on selection.

After this finishes you have maybe 30 mins to pack, shower and get dressed into your interview clothes. It’s stress, and hectic but bear this in mind the night before and have as much ready as you can. Bring something for the interview, preferably a suit or shirt and tie, at the very least jeans, a smart t shirt. One lad didn’t have anything to wear and had to go in shorts and a hoody, the interviews are all given by officers and he got bollocked before he even got into the room with him. It’s not the start you want or need to an interview.

My interview lasted about 15mins and was pretty straight forward it went as follows -

How I had found selection? Did I enjoy it?

I was asked how I think I have done on selection? Could I have worked any harder or prepared better? (Don’t say you could of worked any harder because they want maximum effort the entire time)

What role I was going for?

What I knew about the role?

Do I know the CDRILS? and I had to list them

What CDRILS quality best related to me and why?

And phase 1 training and what it involved?

We then discussed my test scores, run time and team task assessment notes and job role suitability based on this. I scored well and qualified for every job except the para’s because my run time wasn’t good enough for them, but I was really pleased.

All the other conversation we had was easily answered, make sure you sit up straight with your hands on your knees, always make eye contact when speaking and getting spoken to, have manors and always call them Sir or Ma’am. Collect your certificate and shake their hand.

After the interview a few lads go sent to a fast track office for starting dates for phase 1 training depending on what trade they where doing. The rest of us got our bags, said our goodbyes and got dropped at the station again for the journey home.

Overall I enjoyed selection, I met some good lads and had some laughs. So when you go just embrace it and give it your all and hopefully you will enjoy it too and get the role you are going for.

Hope this helps those of you heading to AC Lichfield in the future.

AndyM7

Crow
Hi all,

I’ve just finished completing my 2 day Army selection at AC Lichfield, hopefully this post might help others in preparing and also what to expect when it’s your turn!

You have to arrive the late afternoon of the day before the 2 day selection. I arrived about 3.45pm at Lichfield train station, as soon as you get there it doesn’t take a genius to figure out who else is there waiting for the same reason! 40 lads standing there looking slightly apprehensive with cases and bags.

Not everyone is in a suit or clean shaven, there where people in jeans and even tracksuits, it didn’t seem to make any difference. But at the least I’d suggest smart casual, so you don’t look like a dick.

Arrival Day
At 4pm we where met by a SGT and walked across the road to a waiting coach. We where then told to stand against the wall in single file and produce a form of photographic ID and also that he would be searching bags randomly (don’t take anything with you you shouldn’t have or you’ll be history before you arrive at the AC) as he was giving us our number, which then basically becomes your name for the next 2 days. On the coach try and talk to a few of the lads as everyone feels the same and over the next 2 days you will have a laugh and bond.

After a short coach journey we arrived! We where staying in Dyott block and dropped off outside. We got our bags and taken into the lecture room where you will see a chair with 2 bibs with your number on. You take a seat, put on both your bibs and for next two hours it’s admin, don’t forget your ID or exam certificates because if you haven’t got it you can’t use it. Some things can be produced afterwards but other things can’t be, so try and be organised before you get there. You also get given a water bottle with your number on, which must be taken everywhere with you, this is to simulate a weapon and the SGT promised to mark anyone who lost it down.

The next part is the Icebreaker, I was dreading this as I hate talking in front of people but it ended up being a good laugh, we got given partners and had to get five pieces of information about each other and then present it to the rest of the group. It did exactly what it said on the tin and to be fair a lot of the anxiety left the room when we finished and a lot more of the lads where chatting to each other afterwards. Definitely not worth stressing over like I was!

Once all that’s out the way you get taken down the Mess for some food, to be fair I enjoyed the food there, always say please and thankyou and talk loud because the chef is a bit deaf and just bombards your plate with food if he doesn’t hear you say you don’t want something!

After evening meal it’s another presentation from the AC boss for about an hour then you get taken to your accommodation and allocated a room. The room sleeps 10-12 people and the SGT shouts out your number and tells you what room your in.
Top tip... when you walk in the room and are looking for a bed have a look where the sockets are placed because there are only 4 in the entire room. Also and trust me when I say this... take ear plugs unless you can sleep through snoring, we had a lad who’s snoring definitely could have caused an earthquake and it was a nightmare honestly!

Next it was time to make our beds and shower, the SGT insists you shower because Day 1 is medical day and your up at 5.30am and have to be dressed and stood by your bed at 5.55am to leave for breakfast. About 9pm your all sorted and you get an hour chill time before lights off at 10pm.

Day 1
Your up early and down the mess for breakfast, today will basically be the most boring day of your life so make sure you at least have a decent breakfast because being hungry will just make it worse.

After breakfast you have a brief on the days events. Our group was split up and half went to medical and half went to the classroom for the Cognative test and TST. Try and revise for your tests as they have a direct effect on what job choices are available to you. The Cognative test is a multiple choice test done on the computers and it’s basically the same as the practice one you get sent before selection, honestly it’s easy and nothing to worry about takes around 30min to complete. The TST is a bit harder and more maths based, it’s GCSE level but if you revise you shouldn’t have too much trouble with this either this one you get a timed 45mins to complete. I think the lads that didn’t have Maths or English qualifications had to sit some functional skills tests also. When you do your job choices you will need a certain score to be able to do them, if you don’t get your required score they let you do them again on day 2, there where a couple of lads that missed their scores by 1 or 2 marks and they did them again and passed.

The dreaded medical.....for me this was the worst part, it’s very much a hurry up and wait kind of situation. They look for any reason to defer you, so If you have a sore leg or grazed your knee when you where 10 and it’s not on your medical, my advice is don’t tell them. One of the lads got pulled up over a broken wrist when he was 4, bearing in mind he’s now 28 and it hasn’t bothered him since, he got grilled about it. Don’t have any fizzy drinks or loads of coffee at breakfast either, lots of lads had to have the more in depth heart check, and we lost about 7-8 lads at the medical for various different reasons. Just be patient and only answer what they ask and you will be fine. For everyone to complete the medical it takes allllllll day and is mind numbing.

They also do the mid thigh pull and the medicine ball throw at the end of the day, but it takes best part of 5 mins and is super easy, so again nothing to worry about.

After everyone has completed their medicals and exams you get rid of one of the bibs and get time for a shower and have your evening meal. After this there’s a presentation on phase 1 training and you get time to research your role etc in the classroom to prepare for the final interview the next day. Then it’s a bit of free time for a shower and bed. Day 1 is long and boring it does drain you so to be honest I was looking forward to bed.

Day 2
The 2km run route isn’t to bad, it’s all on tarmac and you do 2 laps, it’s near enough rectangle in shape the two long straights are flat and the two shorter sides are about 50m in length and one goes uphill and one goes downhill. The hills are not huge maybe goes up/down approximately 6m over the 50m so nothing crazy as far as runs go. But definitely worth practicing something similar while your preparing for your assessment so your used to it. We had some fit lads at my intake and a couple where going for the para’s so they where off like greyhounds at the start. Don’t try and keep to anyone else’s pace or you will be blowing out your arse after the 1st lap. I just went at a decent pace the first lap and picked it up on the 2nd, when you can see the finish give it everything you have, the assessors will certainly mark your effort and you might need the seconds you save for your choice of job. I got 8.45 for my run and was happy with that.

You get about 5 mins after the run to have a drink and catch your breath before your marched down to the team task area. Your given some waterproof camo jacket and trousers and a helmet.

First it’s the grenade throw where you crawl through some mud and throw a grenade at the target. Make sure you shout grenade as loud as you can. But other than that it takes 5 min and is simple

Next it’s 3 different team tasks. You are divided into groups of 8 and given different tasks to do involving planks, Jerry cans and ammo tins. You compete against another group. Make sure you listen to the rules and have an input in the plan the assessors are listening and watching the whole time, make sure you listen to others and encourage everyone right the way through the exercise, if someone fucks up don’t shout or make a fuss, suck it up and crack on. It’s a good laugh so get stuck in, keep talking, encouraging and be positive the whole time and you will pass no problem. For me I enjoyed this part the most out of everything on selection.

After this finishes you have maybe 30 mins to pack, shower and get dressed into your interview clothes. It’s stress, and hectic but bear this in mind the night before and have as much ready as you can. Bring something for the interview, preferably a suit or shirt and tie, at the very least jeans, a smart t shirt. One lad didn’t have anything to wear and had to go in shorts and a hoody, the interviews are all given by officers and he got bollocked before he even got into the room with him. It’s not the start you want or need to an interview.

My interview lasted about 15mins and was pretty straight forward it went as follows -

I was asked how I think I have done on selection? Could I have worked any harder or prepared better? (Don’t say you could of worked any harder because they want maximum effort the entire time)

We then discussed my test scores, run time and team task assessment notes and job role suitability based on this. I scored well and qualified for every job except the para’s because my run time wasn’t good enough for them, but I was really pleased.

All the other conversation we had was easily answered, make sure you sit up straight with your hands on your knees, always make eye contact when speaking and getting spoken to, have manors and always call them Sir or Ma’am. Collect your certificate and shake their hand.

After the interview a few lads go sent to a fast track office for starting dates for phase 1 training depending on what trade they where doing. The rest of us got our bags, said our goodbyes and got dropped at the station again for the journey home.

Overall I enjoyed selection, I met some good lads and had some laughs. So when you go just embrace it and give it your all and hopefully you will enjoy it too and get the role you are going for.

Honestly, thanks a lot. That helped more than you know! I am at Lichfield on the 10th of March and I’m doing as much research as I can before hand. Appreciate the help!

jave1

Crow
So have my Assessment next month, and have received my Event details sheet with what to take with you.

Now I can have pretty much everything I need packed in a medium sized holdall, but the formal outfit for the interview would probably end up creased quite a bit, what I want to check is if it Would be fine to have that outside of my holdall in a suit carry bag (trying to keep it in the best condition).
I had mine in a suit carrier bag, and don't feel weird if your the only one

People who are already employment is it normal to be worried before selection?
Like if I pass by some miracle, I’m a bit scared “the grass isn’t greener on the other side”
Realistically I know it is because I’ve been in the same job for ten years without promotion/pay rises/and being overlooked for everything even though my managers have said my performance is better then everyone else’s?

Are these thoughts normal?

Number 30

Swinger
Honestly, thanks a lot. That helped more than you know! I am at Lichfield on the 10th of March and I’m doing as much research as I can before hand. Appreciate the help!
Mate did exactly the same, think I read every post on here about selection, hope it all goes well for you. Good luck!

Mrsheeny

War Hero
People who are already employment is it normal to be worried before selection?
Like if I pass by some miracle, I’m a bit scared “the grass isn’t greener on the other side”
Realistically I know it is because I’ve been in the same job for ten years without promotion/pay rises/and being overlooked for everything even though my managers have said my performance is better then everyone else’s?

Are these thoughts normal?
Yes. Sod work just go for it. Nobody looks back over old photos of where they used to work telling stories about what happened and the things they got up to because it’s boring drudgery, so go for it and don’t look back, and don’t think too much otherwise you’ll overthink it.

Number 30

Swinger
Tubbs_1966

Be confident in yourself, if you go into it doubting your ability to do well you less likely to succeed. If you have prepared well you will smash it

Number 30

Swinger
Yes think you can join as a regular up till age 36

Leo93

Swinger
Hi all,

Stolen this post from Number 30, but just wanted to give my insight as I just completed my selection yesterday at AC Lichfield. Bits in bold is how my experience differed. Hope this helps someone.

Arrival Day

After evening meal it’s another presentation from the AC boss for about an hour then you get taken to your accommodation and allocated a room. The room sleeps 10-12 people and the SGT shouts out your number and tells you what room your in. Try and get a bottom bunk near a window, the room is like a furnace.

Day 1

The dreaded medical.....for me this was the worst part, it’s very much a hurry up and wait kind of situation. They look for any reason to defer you, so If you have a sore leg or grazed your knee when you where 10 and it’s not on your medical, my advice is don’t tell them. One of the lads got pulled up over a broken wrist when he was 4, bearing in mind he’s now 28 and it hasn’t bothered him since, he got grilled about it. Don’t have any fizzy drinks or loads of coffee at breakfast either, lots of lads had to have the more in depth heart check, and we lost about 7-8 lads at the medical for various different reasons. Just be patient and only answer what they ask and you will be fine. For everyone to complete the medical it takes allllllll day and is mind numbing. Very Very boring.

Day 2
The 2km run route isn’t to bad, it’s all on tarmac and you do 2 laps, it’s near enough rectangle in shape the two long straights are flat and the two shorter sides are about 50m in length and one goes uphill and one goes downhill. The hills are not huge maybe goes up/down approximately 6m over the 50m so nothing crazy as far as runs go. But definitely worth practicing something similar while your preparing for your assessment so your used to it. We had some fit lads at my intake and a couple where going for the para’s so they where off like greyhounds at the start. Don’t try and keep to anyone else’s pace or you will be blowing out your arse after the 1st lap. I just went at a decent pace the first lap and picked it up on the 2nd, when you can see the finish give it everything you have, the assessors will certainly mark your effort and you might need the seconds you save for your choice of job. I got 8.45 for my run and was happy with that. My advice is practice 2k runs, aim to get a decent pace, everyone on my intake got under 10 minutes which was good, I got 7:50 which I was very happy about.

Next it’s 3 different team tasks. You are divided into groups of 8 and given different tasks to do involving planks, Jerry cans and ammo tins. You compete against another group. Make sure you listen to the rules and have an input in the plan the assessors are listening and watching the whole time, make sure you listen to others and encourage everyone right the way through the exercise, if someone fucks up don’t shout or make a fuss, suck it up and crack on. It’s a good laugh so get stuck in, keep talking, encouraging and be positive the whole time and you will pass no problem. For me I enjoyed this part the most out of everything on selection. If you want to stand out, just be the one who organises the team, the staff like that.

Number 30

Swinger
Good point about the heat levels in the dorms haha forgot to mention that, absolutely boiling!! I slept with just the sheet, I managed to avoid the bunk beds and was lucky enough to get a single bed next to the plugs.

Good run time that also mate

Leo93

Swinger
Good point about the heat levels in the dorms haha forgot to mention that, absolutely boiling!! I slept with just the sheet, I managed to avoid the bunk beds and was lucky enough to get a single bed next to the plugs.

Good run time that also mate

We were in room 1 with 18 of us lads in it on the first night! Was a sauna, we lost 6 due to medical reasons so wasn't as bad second night. Really enjoyed it though! What unit are you going into now? You reg or reserve?