Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

The old passing requirements required push-ups and sit-ups. The only push-ups I did in my assessment was in the doctors office and that was all of 10 of them, some people only had to do 5.

It used to be around 40-ish (can not remember exact amount) in 2 minutes as part of the passing requirements

In the exact same style for standard fitness as before - To get started try to be able to do 3 sets of 10 (aim to finish a set in under 20 seconds) with 15-30 second rests would put you at 3/4s of the way to the old requirement and should serve as a good starting position to improve from
Thank you so much for the delineation

Hi... My daughters Army application has just been rejected due to recurrent or Persistent Otitis Externa (ear Infection) Q - Can anybody advsie me as to what the Army classes as recurrent, as she has only had 4 cases in 12 years. This was following on from a Mastoidectomy, so it was expected. she has now been clear of infection since 2015.

Ozzy00

Clanker
Hi... My daughters Army application has just been rejected due to recurrent or Persistent Otitis Externa (ear Infection) Q - Can anybody advsie me as to what the Army classes as recurrent, as she has only had 4 cases in 12 years. This was following on from a Mastoidectomy, so it was expected. she has now been clear of infection since 2015.
Hello There,
Have a look at JSP 950 its the document the army uses and go down to the Pre Entry section and theres alot of stuff before hand but youll probo find a bit relating to your issue ill have a quick look and see if I can find out on it for you also It would be worth appealing
I would attach the file to thos message but it is too large apparently
Regards
Ozzy

Ozzy00

Clanker
Hi
Hello again,
I have had a look and this is all that I can find on the JSP
DISCLAIMER : I am not a medical physician or part of the recruitment team or anything
But I would say its worth appealing if you can get a doctor to say that theres no on going symptom and she has been clear of symptoms for a few years and you might have a chance
Regards
Ozzy

Attachments

Hello There,
Have a look at JSP 950 its the document the army uses and go down to the Pre Entry section and theres alot of stuff before hand but youll probo find a bit relating to your issue ill have a quick look and see if I can find out on it for you also It would be worth appealing
I would attach the file to thos message but it is too large apparently
Regards
Ozzy
Thanks Ozzy, I have had a good read through of this document, but I see no reference on timelines ( what is classed as recurrent) Thankyou anyway.

Hollz2412

Swinger
Anyone got assessment for 13th March at glencourse?
Also I’ve been trying to get my run time down for 2 weeks and have somehow got worse. I also can’t consistently run the 2k without walking a couple of times?
Anyone got tips to sort this and will I get disqualified for walking?
I was told as I’m going for a priority role I only had to pass and they’d get me training end of March start of April because there’s lots of places available for my job choice. Anyone heard this before seems a bit hopeful?
Thanks

Also I’ve been trying to get my run time down for 2 weeks and have somehow got worse. I also can’t consistently run the 2k without walking a couple of times?
I was told as I’m going for a priority role I only had to pass and they’d get me training end of March start of April because there’s lots of places available for my job choice. Anyone heard this before seems a bit hopeful?
Thanks

If it’s a priority role your applying for and there’s space on the next intake then yes for sure providing you want to start training ASAP then there’s every chance you could be in depot within weeks of passing selection! In terms of your run, over trained maybe? Overthinking your run time? As for stopping during the run I personally believe it’s the mindset that affects people! Your body will allow you to run the whole 2k without stopping it’s just your mind telling your legs to stop and as soon as you let your mind win it will automatically take over your body! Next run next time you feel like stopping slow the pace right down but DONT stop. Your mind will soon get use to not wanting to stop and you will overcome it! Hope that makes sense.

Ozzy00

Clanker
Thanks
Hi mate,
Try running longer distances in practice so its easier just to do the 2k also of your seen walking you lose points of your score and probo get shouted at by the Staff.
Good luck
Ozzy

Hollz2412

Swinger
If it’s a priority role your applying for and there’s space on the next intake then yes for sure providing you want to start training ASAP then there’s every chance you could be in depot within weeks of passing selection! In terms of your run, over trained maybe? Overthinking your run time? As for stopping during the run I personally believe it’s the mindset that affects people! Your body will allow you to run the whole 2k without stopping it’s just your mind telling your legs to stop and as soon as you let your mind win it will automatically take over your body! Next run next time you feel like stopping slow the pace right down but DONT stop. Your mind will soon get use to not wanting to stop and you will overcome it! Hope that makes sense.
Thanks so much I’ve been getting better at covering the distance without stopping and have been focus on sorting this because I wasn’t sure if it was more important to focus on running it all or running it fast. It’s the only thing that scares me about selection and I want to start ASAP but it gives me so much anxiety about having to walk for a couple of seconds to catch my breath but I run quite fast when I am running.

Hollz2412

Swinger
Hi mate,
Try running longer distances in practice so its easier just to do the 2k also of your seen walking you lose points of your score and probo get shouted at by the Staff.
Good luck
Ozzy
Hey
Thanks for the reply. What impact does it have losing points as I was told that I shouldn’t be aiming to smash it just to pass it as my job role is harder to recruit for so I won’t be having to wait to go to training because the spaces are waiting with no one filling them.

Thanks so much I’ve been getting better at covering the distance without stopping and have been focus on sorting this because I wasn’t sure if it was more important to focus on running it all or running it fast. It’s the only thing that scares me about selection and I want to start ASAP but it gives me so much anxiety about having to walk for a couple of seconds to catch my breath but I run quite fast when I am running.

No problem, in terms of running it all or running it fast. Bit of both really but what I will say is just don’t stop because that tells them your giving up! No matter how much it hurts just don’t stop. Slow the pace to what you feel comfortable but not stopping. Also if you’re starting off quite quick but then feeling the need to stop it’s because your not pacing yourself properly! Start off not slow but also not like it’s only a 200 metre sprint either that way you build in for the run and not gas out early! As long as you finish within your time for your role you will be fine and that they can see you’ve put effort in! Good luck on selection

Hollz2412

Swinger
No problem, in terms of running it all or running it fast. Bit of both really but what I will say is just don’t stop because that tells them your giving up! No matter how much it hurts just don’t stop. Slow the pace to what you feel comfortable but not stopping. Also if you’re starting off quite quick but then feeling the need to stop it’s because your not pacing yourself properly! Start off not slow but also not like it’s only a 200 metre sprint either that way you build in for the run and not gas out early! As long as you finish within your time for your role you will be fine and that they can see you’ve put effort in! Good luck on selection
Thanks I appreciate this. I’ll try this on my next run.

How do you know your finishing at the appropriate time? Are we allowed to wear a stop watch?

How do you know your finishing at the appropriate time? Are we allowed to wear a stop watch?

No you can’t I’m afraid, but that’s where your training and learning to pace yourself comes in to it, smash out your 1.2 miles as fast and as comfortable as you can. If your within your time happy days just keep repeating that. As you keep training though your body gets used to what pace you’re going at it’s turn up to you to push it a little further. Make sure your breathing correctly in through your nose out through your mouth, fill your lungs with air! Just don’t stop that’s the main thing no matter how you feel just slow it down until it’s feels you can speed up again then go for it. It’s all in the mindset. Your head with make you stop before your legs ever will as if you let it. Just keep thinking of the end goal! It’s 1.2 miles that’s potentially going to give you the career you’ve always wanted. Providing you give it everything you’ve got and more then there little more you can do.

Ozzy00

Clanker
Hey
Thanks for the reply. What impact does it have losing points as I was told that I shouldn’t be aiming to smash it just to pass it as my job role is harder to recruit for so I won’t be having to wait to go to training because the spaces are waiting with no one filling them.
Well it will affect your passing grade and you could even be failed for not putting the effort in
Regards
Ozzy

Ozzy00

Clanker
Hello,
Your not allowed to even have a watch on as they dont want you to be time watching they want you to put 100% in as they said to me "if your not feeling like your legs are gonna drop off and you dont feel sick you havent pushed yourself enough"
Good luck
Ozzy

Hello,
Your not allowed to even have a watch on as they dont want you to be time watching they want you to put 100% in as they said to me "if your not feeling like your legs are gonna drop off and you dont feel sick you havent pushed yourself enough"
Good luck
Ozzy
Ohh Wow Lol..Thanks for your input.