Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pitcher3n2

Swinger
Had my Ac date for a few weeks now, 16th Dec at Lichfield but not posted in here before, only been reading. Looking forward to it and nervous too. Anyone else got this date?

Did my assessment yesterday up at Glencorse Barracks came away with a good result passing everything except the bleep test as it was too late to conduct the run so now I have to wait till January to go Liverpool and finish my final part then that's me ready for Phase 1 hopefully. These 1 day assessments have a real impact on the staff there as they were constantly battling with the time but at least they are still holding them.

Last edited:
Only took 2 and a half weeks for my medical records to be sent over so I am buzzing. Had a call to say as long as I pass, I will be given my AC date in the next couple of days. He said they are looking at late January, early February dates. Also, to confirm about AC, team building activities are no longer to be done. That is what I was told in my briefing anyway. Now to go even harder with my phys..

What's the best to prepare for basic training I just passed selection. I want some tips for basic training, I've been at an mpct for nearly a year Which has greatly improve my fitness and I run 2km in 10:30 and should I be doing weighed runs and tabs. My lower body strength is very good but I do struggle with pull ups and as of yet I haven't been able to climb a rope

IceKing

Old-Salt
What's the best to prepare for basic training I just passed selection. I want some tips for basic training, I've been at an mpct for nearly a year Which has greatly improve my fitness and I run 2km in 10:30 and should I be doing weighed runs and tabs. My lower body strength is very good but I do struggle with pull ups and as of yet I haven't been able to climb a rope

PT is easy at pirbright, I just finished the basic training last Friday so feel free to ask questions

PT is easy at pirbright, I just finished the basic training last Friday so feel free to ask questions
What sort of stuff are you doing at PT wise at pirbright and to what intensity I'm fairly fit not just wanting to know what Standard should I be at before going to pirbright or Winchester

IceKing

Old-Salt
What sort of stuff are you doing at PT wise at pirbright and to what intensity I'm fairly fit not just wanting to know what Standard should I be at before going to pirbright or Winchester

the hardest things are either carrying weigh or just the pt overall. Focus of burpees and lots of leg work. What reg are you joining as this changes what weight you will carry?

the hardest things are either carrying weigh or just the pt overall. Focus of burpees and lots of leg work. What reg are you joining as this changes what weight you will carry?
Im joining as a RLC chef plus do you have any other tips on basic training in general

IceKing

Old-Salt
Im joining as a RLC chef plus do you have any other tips on basic training in general
You will only carry 15kg then

for basic be out Of the door 5 minutes before ready 10 minutes before, be prepared for late nights and early mornings you will think you are ready but try now to go 5 to 11 at night without resting on the sofa or on the phone and just do PT and cleaning

You will only carry 15kg then

for basic be out Of the door 5 minutes before ready 10 minutes before, be prepared for late nights and early mornings you will think you are ready but try now to go 5 to 11 at night without resting on the sofa or on the phone and just do PT and cleaning
Ok thanks I should be starting pirbright or Winchester in March from now till then I want to do be doing 100 press ups 100 sit ups and 100 squats day plus the obviously running 4-5 times a week mostly 3-7 km

Leedsboy

Swinger
Hi. Hope this helps someone. I went to the assessment centre yesterday and just thought I’d put a few things on here as I know some of the stuff I’d have liked to know wasn’t on this chat. Obviously my experience may be different to others but this is what I’d have liked to know before I went.
1. Have ID read if getting the train because it speeds it all up
2. The instructions are there to help you - ask for help if you need it or don’t understand
3. Females can request a female doctor for the medial if you want
4. If you live fair away you’ll get a blue band for your bib which shows you’re priority- they’ll ask you when you have you’re initial interview after the document checks
5. It helps to bring a spare change of clothes for the interview - it doesn’t need to be smart. Some wore smart clothes other did it in pt kit but I know I felt more comfortable in clean non smelly clothes - you go home after this so you’ll most likely travel in these clothes

Hope that helps someone - I know there’s been a fair few write ups but I haven’t found one for one day answering the questions I had
I'm off to Glencorse in Feb as a rejoiner medical (ex-reg) for the Reserves. Do you think I'll need gym kit or just suit and tie?

Evening all. Just on the train back from my one day assessment at Lichfield and wanted to throw in my experience.

Picked up from the station at 10am (after being on the train since 6am). The day started with number and bib allocation followed by a short h+s brief, plan for the day and document check. We were also given our very generous packed lunch.

After the brief some went and started the medical (height and weight, vision, audiometry, ecg(avoid coffee/energy drinks)) and some went to do the TST/cognitive tests. Prepare to do a lot of standing around. When these were all finished it was in to see a Dr. A few questions, walk like a duck, stretches, 5 push ups etc. Nothing dramatic.

The Dr tells you there and then if you're fit to carry on and gives you a red or green card....you want green. This gives the ok for the phys part.

The phys part: do not stress it. The medicine ball throw is easy. 2.5m to pass (I got 5m) and the mid thigh pull I think was 118 to pass (I got 191 and don't do weight training) just remember to push down through your feet. From there to the bleep test/msft. I found this easier than running but having not done one before lost it a bit on the turn. Shaved 20secs of my pb 2k though. Finish that and it's back to the briefing room for the interview....more waiting. I didn't get asked a whole lot about the job I wanted but did get asked what the 7 main things you learn in p1. Drill/fieldcraft/personal admin/first aid/navigation/weapon handling/dress(?) 1 lad I spoke to got deferred on this so brush up. The interviewer tells you if you pass or fail then it's on the bus back to the station.

Hope this helps some people. Biggest take away I got from it all is don't panic

At what point is it necessary to get a passport? I know you can go to the assessment centre without it as I have my Provisional license and Birth Certificate. Do I need it by training or can I get it whilst in? I've asked my AFCO and no answer so just curious. Could get my intake date quite soon after AC as long as I pass, so it would help knowing. Thanks.

How far should be I running in preparation for pirbright. I'm currently running 3-5k up and down hills, plus I do alot of push ups, sit ups and squats.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads