Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

Crow22

Swinger
Speaking of the Beep test / MSFT how is everyone finding them? I can get my 2km run done in 8.30 on a regular basis, but just hit an 8.6 on the beep test. Anyone else struggle more?

BigB24

Swinger
Speaking of the Beep test / MSFT how is everyone finding them? I can get my 2km run done in 8.30 on a regular basis, but just hit an 8.6 on the beep test. Anyone else struggle more?

I'm definitely better at the run. Pre AC I was averaging around 8:30 on the 2k. At Glencorse AC I did a 9.6 which is a bit lower than I wanted.

To be fair, on the day it was a minimal breakfast, it was raining slightly so very slippery as the MSFT is done in the car park.

I had 2 others running with me. One gassed at level 5 but the other guy was going infantry so we ran together for the majority.

Crow22

Swinger
I'm definitely better at the run. Pre AC I was averaging around 8:30 on the 2k. At Glencorse AC I did a 9.6 which is a bit lower than I wanted.

To be fair, on the day it was a minimal breakfast, it was raining slightly so very slippery as the MSFT is done in the car park.

I had 2 others running with me. One gassed at level 5 but the other guy was going infantry so we ran together for the majority.

Oh no, imagine falling over during it :O

Did the other guy just not qualify then? Congrats on passing!

BigB24

Swinger
Oh no, imagine falling over during it :O

Did the other guy just not qualify then? Congrats on passing!
I slipped on some wet loose gravel towards the middle of level 9. Impossible to catch up after that .
Nah he got deferred for BMI. Thanks man, passed with an A but I'm hoping to go Int Corps so gotta wait for another assessment!

Crow22

Swinger
I slipped on some wet loose gravel towards the middle of level 9. Impossible to catch up after that .
Nah he got deferred for BMI. Thanks man, passed with an A but I'm hoping to go Int Corps so gotta wait for another assessment!
Ooft, that's tough. I've been training on grass as I don't really have many concrete areas to practise a beep test near me.

Oh good luck, I'm hoping to go for the same! Do you know how often they do the Int Corps assessments?

BigB24

Swinger
Ooft, that's tough. I've been training on grass as I don't really have many concrete areas to practise a beep test near me.

Oh good luck, I'm hoping to go for the same! Do you know how often they do the Int Corps assessments?

At the end of my interview, the lady interviewing explained that last month she had a list of available dates next to her. But at the minute they're all full, just a case of waiting now.

It's been 3 weeks since my assessment and when my recruiter called I reminded her I need to give a minimum of 28 days notice to work. Nothing as of yet, hopefully soon!

Hi all! I'm applying to do student nursing and I have my nursing board next week. Is there anything I should prepare and research, I havent been given anything to look at and prepare for as yet and would like to get started ASAP
Thanks in advance
Hi I just had my student nursing board in July and passed it so if you message me can give you advice. If you pass this would you want to start basic September? I have been given a date for 13th September at Winchester. I’m not going to lie the board was realllyy intense as I thought I had failed it and worried as there is limited spaces, they said they had loads of people applying so therefore had to put more board on. The general questions were mainly about uni life and then just experience I had have already with placement in my course and they were just bothered about my grades / whether I would be able to get through basic. There is 4-5 people interviewing you from what I remember , and there is a time period they have so they move on pretty fast so keep your answers short, be prepared for them to grill you. If you have anymore questions just ask away I’m sure you will be fine just try your best! From your references and grades / assessment centre they pretty much decide before the board whether they like the look of you not from what I gathered and then the board just confirms it more. Also it is on skype and I only got 5 mins of free credit and it cut out after that so unfortunately you have to pay for more. Hope this helps!☺️

Hi, from reading your post, I can see you did ac pretty recently , I have my assesment in the morning just wondering what to wear for train down there/arriving, can you give me an insight into what everyone was wearing when they arrived at the train station/ what to wear

BigB24

Swinger
Hi, from reading your post, I can see you did ac pretty recently , I have my assesment in the morning just wondering what to wear for train down there/arriving, can you give me an insight into what everyone was wearing when they arrived at the train station/ what to wear
I got a call from someone at Glencorse the morning I was due to travel just confirming attendance etc. I mentioned it stating "arrive in sports gear" and he said ignore that, travel in what you feel comfortable in. I arrive in joggers as I had a 4 hour train ride ha! A few arrived in jeans.
The first night was a lot of paperwork and the ACT & TST tests. If you can eat before you get there, do that. The cookhouse won't be open and you'll be offered a sausage roll or two when you get there.

BigB24

Swinger
Any advice for the ice breaker eg what should I talk about
There isn't one. Just the TST/ACT test and the physical tests and then the interview at the end. I don't know whether the instructors take little notes on candidates that they pass along but it's worth joining in the small talk the instructors try to instigate.

I got a call from someone at Glencorse the morning I was due to travel just confirming attendance etc. I mentioned it stating "arrive in sports gear" and he said ignore that, travel in what you feel comfortable in. I arrive in joggers as I had a 4 hour train ride ha! A few arrived in jeans.
The first night was a lot of paperwork and the ACT & TST tests. If you can eat before you get there, do that. The cookhouse won't be open and you'll be offered a sausage roll or two when you get there.
Perfect cheers mate, I’m in similar situation , got a 4 hour train then 2 hour wait once I’m there so going in joggers

hi guys, if you fail your BMI TEST or BEEP TEST are you allowed to re apply in a couple of months?
If you fail your bmi if it’s over for example you get deferred until you can loose the weight and until the doctor signs it off. If you fail your run you have 2 more chances so yes you will go back to the assessment centre , it’s not a complete fail

A new sticky thread for those hoping to undertake the recruit application process including attending an Assessment Centre (AC) during 2020.

The rules:

1. Think before you post - No personal details, no times of trains etc. Absolutely no FB links. Read the sticky thread on personal security before you start posting.

2. No such thing as a stupid question, but please make sure you use the search engine before you ask.

3. Use the medical sticky thread for medical enquiries. Make sure you look up the relevant parts of the JSP contained therein before you become the 50th person to ask that week if your asthma/depression/ADHD might cause you a problem.

4. Give (and receive) advice cautiously. We are lucky to have some true recruiting/ADSC subject matter experts who support these boards. Listen to them, not the bloke who might have passed but has no real idea how or why.

5. Keep it civil. For the "old and bold", if you can't help with accurate and current information, then head over to the NAAFI to play. Breaking this rule will result in ROPs.

Long before policies that could be blamed on the Covid 19 pandemic, the AT EASE advice service was gravely concerned about the unfair treatment of candidates, serving members and veterans of the UK Armed Forces who are Nationals of Commonwealth Countries.

The Army is not currently accepting applications from Commonwealth candidates or inviting them to the UK for assessment during the Covid 19 restriction

Before the Covid crisis the British Army conducted a major recruitment campaign aimed at Commonwealth Nationals. Those who had not travelled to the UK before the Covid 19 restrictions may now be regarded as having had a lucky escape.

Those who travelled to the UK, at the Army's invitation, just before the restrictions are now in a situation that can cause hardship and humiliation. Overseas recruits are obliged to have sponsors who are resident in the UK. The sponsor has to sign an undertaking to provide accommodation for the candidate whilst he is in the UK.

Some sponsors may not have realised the extremity of this undertaking. They assume they will just be accommodating the recruit during the recruitment process which for British Nationals is a comparatively short time. After that they may think that they will just be providing a UK address which will be needed, when on leave from the Army, by a full time soldier in receipt of a wage.

Before they actually are in the Army, candidates are not allowed to work or have recourse to any public funds. They may be totally dependent on their sponsors and face being so for as long as the covid 19 pandemic lasts.

There is some acknowledgement of this in the Army website.

...we recognise the additional strain placed on Commonwealth candidates and their sponsors by their visa restrictions. The Home Office has agreed to extend all visas to 31July and the Army is now working hard to ensure that those who require further extensions in order to complete their application will receive them.

If they are not able to leave before their visa expires, the instruction is to return to their country at their own expense and then apply for a new visa.

If some do mange eventually to join the British Army, their troubles may not be over. They are told that after four years or more service they may apply for British Citizenship but if they leave before they have served four years, they have to return to their own country.

This is not to deter recruits from leaving too early voluntarily, because they cannot leave voluntarily before the minimum full time service of four years. However, their one sided engagement means that they can be discharged "Services no longer required" before the four years is up. Some NCOs and Officers who are opposed to immigration know these rules. The hope of gaining British Citizenship can be lost if the soldier is discharged before four years. A series of unjust charges for petty offences can build up a disciplinary record to justify discharge. The discharged soldier then receives a letter from the Home Office ordering him to leave the country or be deported. Whist they remain in this country they are not allowed to work or have recourse to public funds. Their sponsors are expected to accommodate them in that situation.

Gwyn Gwyntopher

AT EASE voluntary counsellor