Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

I don’t want to hijack the thread but one detail I did miss out from my last couple of posts is that the Army medical team do an eye test, hearing test, hook you up to an ECG machine to measure your heart’s rhythm (regardless of age) before finishing with the closeup medical with the doctor (who you must address as “Doctor”). This medical does not involve the ‘cupping’ of genitalia (the old style medical) but does include things like testing knee joints, legs and feet strength through squats and walking in the squatting position and the doctor listening to your heartbeat from your chest, back & arms. Also practice your press-ups!

When you arrive you will have to provide a urine sample using the pot they supply you in the room.

As my doctor’s computer froze I was sat in the waiting room for a whole hour staring at blank walls and a muted tv - something which you cannot imagine how frustrating it is after the med team initially & mistakenly were going to say that I was deaf!! Turned out the hearing test machine was identified as broken. After the doctor consultation he forgot to hand my notes to the reception so I was waiting still in the med centre for another 15 mins. There is a lot of sitting waiting around from when you arrive to before you do the bleep test & be aware that you are being watched even when sat down.

nicc94

Crow
Hey guys, can anyone who’s been on their assessment post-lockdown with the new changes tell me, is there still a formal interview? If so, did you arrive in fitness gear and change for the interview? How is it formatted?

I called my army careers women yesterday after seeing others had been given dates, as I haven’t heard anything in a while. Was told her coworker was arranging assessment dates and that they’ve received my medical records so I should be getting processed soon. She then called me back 5 minutes later to tell me that they won’t be able to give me a date for assessment until I’ve been in to the careers office and they’ve taken my height and weight, and that the careers office isn’t open for visitors yet so it’s basically a waiting game.

I’m a bit confused as this is the first time I’ve heard of this, and I don’t understand why if the assessment centres are open, they can’t have people in to the careers office if it’s something so simple? And also every time I go to the doctors my weight and height is taken, so I thought this would be on my medical records? Has anyone else had this issue?

AB2020

Swinger
Has anyone got a date for anywhere other than Pirbright? I’m still being told that only Pirbright is currently open.......

Towelie

Swinger
Hey guys, can anyone who’s been on their assessment post-lockdown with the new changes tell me, is there still a formal interview? If so, did you arrive in fitness gear and change for the interview? How is it formatted?

I called my army careers women yesterday after seeing others had been given dates, as I haven’t heard anything in a while. Was told her coworker was arranging assessment dates and that they’ve received my medical records so I should be getting processed soon. She then called me back 5 minutes later to tell me that they won’t be able to give me a date for assessment until I’ve been in to the careers office and they’ve taken my height and weight, and that the careers office isn’t open for visitors yet so it’s basically a waiting game.

I’m a bit confused as this is the first time I’ve heard of this, and I don’t understand why if the assessment centres are open, they can’t have people in to the careers office if it’s something so simple? And also every time I go to the doctors my weight and height is taken, so I thought this would be on my medical records? Has anyone else had this issue?
I got my last f2f skype call tomorrow before assessment and she said if i can weight and take my own height i can give it to her on skype tomorrow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently it’s turn up in sportswear (tracksuit) and you can get changed into your shorts using the toilets. That may change with the proposed change back to an overnight stay.

Yes there’s still an interview but each interview is now currently restricted to 10-15 minutes maximum due to Covid. Very few questions are asked apart from any change in personal circumstances (deaths in the family or broken relationships), driving penalty points or speeding tickets & any criminal convictions. The only real question Sir asked me was “why have you chosen X role” before he either defers your application to come back for fitness retests or offers you a role(s).

The “coworker” at your careers office may well have the job title of head recruiter for your local careers office - this would be the person to book people onto AC’s.

The careers offices are more run by a company called Capita vs the AC’s being run by Army personnel (with a few civilian staff). The careers offices are probably not seen as essential in Capita’s eyes with covid-19 posing a risk to their staff who are likely not wearing PPE. You get your height and weight measured at the AC as part of the eye test room anyway!

kidinashed

Clanker
I had my selection date cancelled at the Beginning of May, I’ve gone for a priority role with the RLC anyone have any idea if I’m gonna hear something soon it’s driving me crazy waiting around

nicc94

Crow
I had my selection date cancelled at the Beginning of May, I’ve gone for a priority role with the RLC anyone have any idea if I’m gonna hear something soon it’s driving me crazy waiting around
Have you called your careers office? I feel like you don’t find out anything unless you get on to them yourself. They have a massive backlog so it could take them a good while to get around to you, but they are prioritising those who have had previous dates cancelled.

Anyone know what the fitness tests are during week 1 in phase 1 ? Will they still do press-ups and sit-ups or will it be mainly what I did at assessment centre ? 1.2mile, deadlift, medicine ball throw etc ....

Towelie

Swinger
Had a call today with office, idk if its been said already but the night before your day assessment its now an over night stay the evening before

AB2020

Swinger
Litchfield is open. My daughter was one of the first back to do her assessment on 12th June.
I’ve been informed by 2 different people both at NRC that have said only Pirbright is open. I’ve given up hope of going anytime soon.....

Skelly87

Crow
I am currently 32, I'll be 33 in October.

Long story short, I've spent the last several years in and out of university, moving down a route that I eventually realised is not for me. One regret I have is not joining the military when I was younger, but life happened, I had kids and my priority was to be around them as they grew up. I'm not getting any younger and I feel like my options are limited, I really want to invest in a full time, long term career, and the army seems like a good option, and with the official army website stating that you must be enlisted before your 36th birthday (regular solider), I feel like there's no reason why I shouldn't at least apply and give it a crack. Even if I don't make it all the way, I want to at least try.

I would look to go into the Royal Signals and do some form of IT/Cyber role. My main focus right now is to spend some time working on my overall fitness. I'm going to get the ball rolling and begin talking to a recruiter and go from there. However, with everything going on with covid I imagine it might be a lengthy process.

Wish me luck! I'll keep you posted.

Latest Threads