Recruit application and assessment sticky 2020 - all related chat in here

Joeyy13

Swinger
How can people fail the bleep test? Until you reach level 5 it’s light jogging. Annoying how unprepared people are getting dates and others are sat around when they can pass and move onto basic.

My unit has sent me dates for basic until end of the year, but I can’t book any of them as I’ve not been to AC yet and then still have to attest etc. before starting basic.

I’ll be surprised if I get a date in July going off what my CSM has said so far......
I'm sure there's alot of prepared people to, but that's the whole point of selection... Find out who and who isn't fit enough for Army training.

AB2020

Swinger
I'm sure there's alot of prepared people to, but that's the whole point of selection... Find out who and who isn't fit enough for Army training.
I know what you’re saying but certain aspects you can know beforehand, bleep test/2km run being one of them.

ACT test and interview can’t be replicated (although you can practice) and as for the medical they might find something you weren’t aware of. But the physical stuff you know before you go.

Jam12bix

Old-Salt
So how does one day assessment work ?. Is it medical first or act test first ?. Back when I did it it was two day selection. I am a re enlister

Joeyy13

Swinger
I know what you’re saying but certain aspects you can know beforehand, bleep test/2km run being one of them.

ACT test and interview can’t be replicated (although you can practice) and as for the medical they might find something you weren’t aware of. But the physical stuff you know before you go.
I do undertsand also were you are coming from like people are not putting in the hard work, but then alot of the people who are currently doing selection were only told in the last few weeks that it's going to be a bleep test, and for even the fittest people, may not have even done a bleep test before, may have not had enough time to practice before going. Running fast for 2k and a stop, start, turning for a bleep test you have to train different!

But its down to the indervidual to train, and the recruitment can ask people what times they get, most people are not honest with there answers which shows at selection. They can't just go on what people are saying there fitness levels are, best go selection first.

Just be patient man, your time will come!

AB2020

Swinger
I do undertsand also were you are coming from like people are not putting in the hard work, but then alot of the people who are currently doing selection were only told in the last few weeks that it's going to be a bleep test, and for even the fittest people, may not have even done a bleep test before, may have not had enough time to practice before going. Running fast for 2k and a stop, start, turning for a bleep test you have to train different!

But its down to the indervidual to train, and the recruitment can ask people what times they get, most people are not honest with there answers which shows at selection. They can't just go on what people are saying there fitness levels are, best go selection first.

Just be patient man, your time will come!
Yes 100% true that bleep test running is completely different to constant running, it’s just they set the levels to compare to 2km time. Level 7.2 is required for majority of roles which is 11m15s 2km time.

I think you hit the nail on the head with your suggestion that people aren’t honest. If they’re not running 2km in the time required, they can’t expect to run the bleep test to appropriate standard. I was only told last week and did one for first time in years and because I could run 2km to relevant time, I can complete bleep test to appropriate time.

You’re right, I’ll wait my turn, just getting impatient (apologies). I just think it’s poor and shows a lack of planning if you’re attending aware that you can’t complete certain aspects.

Towelie

Swinger
Cheers mate. I'll have to get practicing, I was running 2km in 8 mins but could be caught out not being prepared for the beep test.
Same situation mate, just gota do enough you know how long you got till the next one to avoid waiting for the next beep for ages and liking the name btw lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I applied to join the military two and a half years ago. I've had about 11 setbacks during that time. I had originally wanted to join the RM but had also considered the army and French Foreign Legion. I preferred the British military because I wanted to be closer to home, and I know a lot of people in the army. But at this point I've been fucked about and strung along to such an insane degree that I'm seriously starting to consider cutting my losses with the UK and going to the FFL.

Here's a basic recap of the process so far.

Jan 2018 - I applied for the marines in 2018 when I was 19, and got to the medical stage. There was a small amount of ear wax in one of my ears, so the application was delayed three months. The wax took about 10 minutes to clear. Every appointment took at least a month to organise, so it took me about seven months to get past the medical stage.

Sep 2018 - I failed the interview because the interviewer didn't like the look of me, so he basically made up a load of reasons to fail me. These included 'I'm too nice', 'I can't pass the fitness tests' (I could, so he made up some new standards and then asked me if I could pass them, and since I hadn't done those exact tests, he concluded I couldn't), and I couldn't prove that I was willing to kill someone (he never specified what proof he wanted). He said he wouldn't want me on his squad because 'I didn't look like a cold blooded killer' his words.

Dec 2018 - I changed my application to Navy Pilot and had an interview with another interviewer (who was close friends with the first) and who also didn't like the look at me. I was failed for reasons such as 'not knowing enough about world events' even though I studied international relations and history in university for 18 months... and he never actually asked me about world events. He said I was 'not nice enough', that I kept 'sneering' (I informed him that what I was doing was smiling), and I didn't know enough about submarines and mine sweepers (he never actually asked about planes and choppers, which were what I learned about... since I was joining as a pilot.

Jan 2019 - I changed my application to Navy Air Crewman and managed to get an interview with a recruiter from a different afco (who had no connection to the previous interviewers). He quickly passed me but told me there was a 22 month waiting list to join as an aircrew - however he said I could join as a technician and then switch to the marines once I had joined.

Mar 2019 - I went to the pre joining course, which I breezed through, and was told that I could not, in fact, switch to the marines once I joined.

Mar 2019 - I called up the Careers Office and asked for a second Marines interview (you are entitled to a second attempt after three months) and this was refused. So I called up the recruitment helpline. I managed to get my second interview in a different afco but the recruiter from my home afco had to organise it, and I assume he got talking to the recruiter so that interview was immediately doomed.

Apr 2019 - I had my second marines interview in at this second afco and was failed for such reasons as 'my fitness diary didn't contain enough exercise' (I was exercising 7 hours a day on some days) and I couldn't provide an accurate time for the fitness test run (I was following the older, harder run and was getting good times, but I didn't know the standards had since been lowered. And since I couldn't provide a time for the newer, easier one, the interviewer said he had to presume I had never done it at all.) I was told that if I stepped up my exercise I would be able to get another interview.

May 2019 - I stepped up my exercise to the point where my body literally couldn't keep up and after a month I had a serious back injury which lasted a week or so. I went to the doctors about this but it cleared up quickly.

Jul 2019 - I realised I was never going to get past the recruiters for the Navy so I went for the Army, since I could join the Royal Artillery and then go from there to 29 Commando.

Sep 2019 - The Army went through my medical history and highlighted no less than 12 issues which they said made me permanently medically unfit - which included me stubbing my toe when I was 2 and falling over in the bath when I was 13. My application was cancelled by the army.

Oct 2019 - I set up an application for the RAF Regiment because I could see that they were setting up a lot of roadblocks for the Army. I got to the medical, where I was declared PMU because the doctor wanted more info. Even though it was THE SAME doctor who had seen me in early 2018 - and he had even copy and pasted over a lot of the info from the 2018 health report to the new one, because he admitted my health was largely the same. At the same time, I went to my GP and set up an appeal for the army. The GP thought the list of problems they had highlighted was insane and he wrote a letter saying I was perfectly healthy. I sent that off to the army and a month later my appeal succeeded.

Dec 2019 - I went to the army pre-joining course where I had another medical, and a scan was taken of my heart. They found that I had a very strong heart due to a condition called 'Athlete's heart' which means that if you do a lot of weight lifting, or are descended from long distance runners, you can have a large heart. They concluded that either I was having a heart attack, was high on coke, or there was a problem with the ECG machine... so they failed me and told me to go to the GP and get proof I wasn't having a heart attack.

Jan 2020 - The army then set up an 11am appointment to examine my ankle in Southhampton (5 hours away), but refused to tell me why. This was scheduled for mid-may and was then cancelled due to the virus. They still haven't set up another one and I can't get it examined privately or through the NHS - it has to be an army doctor. I have contacted the National Recruiting Centre multiple times over the lockdown, and they still haven't given me any indication of when I might be able to get another appointment.

Jan 2020 - Due to the RAF medical guy accidentally writing 'months' instead of 'weeks' in his report in regards to my back injury, The RAF declared me permanently medically unfit.

Feb 2020 - I appealed for the RAF (again) which took another month. My doctor wrote a letter confirming that my back is totally fine and that the military needed to stop ******* about (he phrased it more diplomatically though). The RAF approved the appeal.

Mar 2020 - I was asked to do an RAF fitness test and had three days notice. I was, at that time, in Egypt on the border of Sudan (on holiday). So I asked for a delay - they gave me a date on the 30th April... which they cancelled because of the Coronavirus.

June 2020 - I am still waiting for a fitness test for the RAF. They are currently accepting 8 candidates per test rather than the usual 60 due to social distancing, so there's no telling how long that could take. The Army has remained silent.

The French Foreign Legion is still recruiting and generally get you through to basic training within a couple of weeks. I'm seriously starting to think it might be worth it to cut my losses and just book that flight to Paris. Bit I know that a LOT of people have had problems with military recruitment so I wanted to ask about your experiences, and whether it's worth it for me to hang in there with this.

The current plan is the call the RAF and army on 1 July, and if they can't give me any hint of progress, book a flight to Paris for early August. I'll call again on the 1st August and if they STILL can't give me anything, I'll take the flight.

Last edited:
Went to the assessment centre today, a couple small blips which I’m sure will be ironed out. Try not to overly pre-empt what happens at selection. I wasn’t asked what specifically I knew about the roles I had applied for (others have previously mentioned questions about history, culture etc). Practice press-ups as the Army doctor asks you to do this as part of the medical. And make sure you address staff members as “Staff” and interviewers as “Sir” etc as this was something I was told off for today.

I’m 6’1 and can easily deadlift 90kg+ in the gym and today I did over 100kg on the mid thigh pull bar and about 3.5m for the med-ball throw.

I pulled a muscle on the beep test due to how I was turning and fell just short of the Infantry standard. The beep test is so much harder than doing a normal 2km run. As a result I was turned down for Infantry/Guards and gutted. Probably a season of refereeing, working and daily running since the start of lockdown has all caught up on me!! Potentially looking at RAF/Navy instead.

There’s thousands of candidates ready to be sent to selection... Good luck everyone :)

Last edited:
Went to the assessment centre today, a couple small blips which I’m sure will be ironed out. Try not to overly pre-empt what happens at selection. I wasn’t asked what specifically I knew about the roles I had applied for (others have previously mentioned questions about history, culture etc). Practice push-ups as the Army doctor asks you to do this as part of the medical. And make sure you address staff members as “Staff” and interviewers as “Sir” etc as this was something I was told off for today.

I’m 6’1 and can easily deadlift 90kg+ in the gym and today I did over 100kg on the mid thigh pull bar and about 3.5m for the med-ball throw.

I pulled a muscle on the beep test due to how I was turning and fell just short of the Infantry standard. The beep test is so much harder than doing a normal 2km run. As a result I was turned down for Infantry/Guards and gutted. Probably a season of refereeing, working and daily running since the start of lockdown has all caught up on me!! Potentially looking at RAF/Navy instead.

There’s thousands of candidates ready to be sent to selection... Good luck everyone :)
How many press ups were you asked to do?

I remember there being about 10-12 of us (I wasn’t counting but going by the seating format). Also make sure you have a vague idea before you go that you aren’t deaf!! I took my hearing test and it wasn’t until after I finished the test that the med centre clinician found out the hearing booth was in fact broken and it came out with a failed result. She then asked me to go into the opposite booth to repeat the test and I passed!

Also the role descriptions on the Army Jobs role finder are incorrect - this is something which was picked up on at the AC. And make sure you know you have GCSE’s in English and Maths etc as I had to specifically point these out on my exam certificates after the “Staff” mistakenly said “No English, no Maths!”

I know other candidates have been given more leeway on the fitness tests. Remember that you cannot repeat the Beep Test for a minimum of 28 days from your selection date if you fail it. And it’s likely months before there’s availability again.

Bob65

Old-Salt
How can people fail the bleep test? Until you reach level 5 it’s light jogging. Annoying how unprepared people are getting dates and others are sat around when they can pass and move onto basic.
In my experience people who under-perform on the bleep test because they think they can sprint each leg flat out and recover between bleeps, rather than pacing themselves. Pacing is as essential as raw fitness and needs to be practiced beforehand.

AB2020

Swinger
In my experience people who under-perform on the bleep test because they think they can sprint each leg flat out and recover between bleeps, rather than pacing themselves. Pacing is as essential as raw fitness and needs to be practiced beforehand.
Agreed it’s much better to arrive at the beep and keep a constant pace

I remember there being about 10-12 of us (I wasn’t counting but going by the seating format). Also make sure you have a vague idea before you go that you aren’t deaf!! I took my hearing test and it wasn’t until after I finished the test that the med centre clinician found out the hearing booth was in fact broken and it came out with a failed result. She then asked me to go into the opposite booth to repeat the test and I passed!

Also the role descriptions on the Army Jobs role finder are incorrect - this is something which was picked up on at the AC. And make sure you know you have GCSE’s in English and Maths etc as I had to specifically point these out on my exam certificates after the “Staff” mistakenly said “No English, no Maths!”

I know other candidates have been given more leeway on the fitness tests. Remember that you cannot repeat the Beep Test for a minimum of 28 days from your selection date if you fail it. And it’s likely months before there’s availability again.
Tthanks for letting us know how it went as im sure some of this advice will help others. Unlucky with the assessment day, but good luck when you try another path to your chosen career.

Spoke to my careers officer this morning, waiting on an assessment date and been told the same thing. Assessment weekend being shortened to 1 day, and bleep test rather than 2k run. I asked what level of bleep would be required for Infantry and was told 8.6.
Haven’t done a bleep test since I was in cadets, so I can’t remember if that’s a challenging level, going to have to set one up in the garden and practice.
Don’t imagine I’ll be given a date anytime soon anyway, I didn’t already have one before lockdown as I’d just began my application and have been told they have a large backlog and that those who’d had their dates cancelled, or those waiting for a retest will be prioritised.
Also they’ll be running the assessment days with half the normal capacity.
Has anybody been giving dates to the assessment, as they have told me with covid there trying to sort out the spirometry test, and would be in touch with me when they know as it could change with what has been said today with Boris

Towelie

Swinger
Has anybody been giving dates to the assessment, as they have told me with covid there trying to sort out the spirometry test, and would be in touch with me when they know as it could change with what has been said today with Boris
Change in what way? More people on assessment day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest Threads