Recruit application and assessment centre sticky 2021 - all related chat in here

Sflynn1970

Clanker
can Anybody tell me what the technical Selection Test Is Like. Like how many Question is on the test.
Just a bit of advice with the TST if anyone is worried. My son was deferred at his initial selection as he didnt get enough on his TST to get his preferred role. I think he got 16 at the time. He was a borderline C student and only passed his GCSE on his 3rd attempt. I know not everyone can afford it, but as he had had to wait I think 6 weeks to resit it, in between that time we went to a tutor and they basically went through every area in the link above. And when he went back he got something like 30 I think. So if you just work on those topics and you should be fine.

Jam12bix

Old-Salt
Just a bit of advice with the TST if anyone is worried. My son was deferred at his initial selection as he didnt get enough on his TST to get his preferred role. I think he got 16 at the time. He was a borderline C student and only passed his GCSE on his 3rd attempt. I know not everyone can afford it, but as he had had to wait I think 6 weeks to resit it, in between that time we went to a tutor and they basically went through every area in the link above. And when he went back he got something like 30 I think. So if you just work on those topics and you should be fine.
thank you could you tell me what are the topic on the TST ?.

Had my AC last week so thought as I've found this site so helpful, it's only fair to give a recount of my experience

Drove myself so after parking up, had to wait outside the main gate. I was told to arrive in sports clothing which is so unnatural for an interview. Saw a couple of others clearly there for the same reason as me so got chatting to them. Thankfully they were in sports attire too which was reassuring.

Eventually a Sgt appeared, checked our IDs, gave us our bib numbers with the clear instruction "don't forget it" and we were then told to line up and wait for the bus. Bus arrived from the station and we then were taken to the AC block. After being taken inside, we were told to leave our stuff on a bunk, provide a urine sample (pot provided!) then line up outside.

At this point, we were split into two. My section were given a briefing (we were given our numbered bibs at this point - thereafter to be known throughout the day as "Number 4" etc) on the different tests. It was very helpful in fairness. After this our paperwork (educational certificated etc) was checked and we were given a sheet of paper stating which tasks we had to complete. For me, I didn't need the TST (wasn't given the option to do so either) or the maths and english. Others did and their form was marked accordingly.

Following this, I did my cognitive test. It was pretty straightforward so please don't worry about this too much. The only advice I would give to anyone is not to rush! It lasted about half an hour or so. Maybe slightly longer but I'm not sure.

After this I was given lunch and told to wait in the accommodation block until called. In fairness, lunch was decent! Baguette, crisps, yoghurt bar, fruit and bottle of water. Was a good time to be able to chat to a couple of others about what they were there for. Some oldies like me applying to join the AR, some teenagers looking to join the Paras (always the Paras...). There was a couple of blokes there to do their medical only before going to Officer selection which I thought was a bit weird but whatever. I guess it's a way of getting the medical out of the way.

After 30 mins or so, my number was called by the Sgt and I was instructed to go for my medical. Cue a long period of time waiting and then doing my audio, visual, ECG, weight tests before finally being summoned for my doctor's review. Probably was with him for 30mins or so for the most vigorous and thorough medical examination of my life! All good thankfully and I was given the desired green card (I'll let you guess what a red card means) which allowed me to progress to the physical assessment.

Bleep test went fine. Did a much better score than I required (Applying for Corps so quite a bit lower). Was amazed how poorly some of the others seemed to perform. Put it this way, it was pretty obvious who had prepared and who hadn't. Med ball throw and mid-thigh pull were no issue so that was fine.

After this we were given the opportunity to shower and get changed. I did (because I'm old and would have stunk of BO if I didn't) but the Sgt was very clear we didn't have to wear suits or anything. So I didn't. I just wore what I was in previously, minus sweat-sodden t-shirt.

After a little wait, my number was called and I had my interview. It lasted probably around 5 minutes or so. Consisting of why my chosen unit, then going through all my various scores. After which it was a "well done and best of luck for your career" and I was out the door and in a minibus back to the main gate!

Overall I really enjoyed myself and found it very satisfying. Be prepared for a lot of hanging around but it was fine. Everyone I dealt with was, while direct at times, very helpful and happy to answer any questions I or anyone else had.

As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit apprehensive about going to an AC in sports clothing (it just didn't feel right) but it was fine. A couple of lads turned up in suits but they were the ones who looked a bit out of place.

Hopefully this is helpful to some and I wish you all the very best in your upcoming AC!

M3nsa

Swinger
Had my AC last week so thought as I've found this site so helpful, it's only fair to give a recount of my experience

Drove myself so after parking up, had to wait outside the main gate. I was told to arrive in sports clothing which is so unnatural for an interview. Saw a couple of others clearly there for the same reason as me so got chatting to them. Thankfully they were in sports attire too which was reassuring.

Eventually a Sgt appeared, checked our IDs, gave us our bib numbers with the clear instruction "don't forget it" and we were then told to line up and wait for the bus. Bus arrived from the station and we then were taken to the AC block. After being taken inside, we were told to leave our stuff on a bunk, provide a urine sample (pot provided!) then line up outside.

At this point, we were split into two. My section were given a briefing (we were given our numbered bibs at this point - thereafter to be known throughout the day as "Number 4" etc) on the different tests. It was very helpful in fairness. After this our paperwork (educational certificated etc) was checked and we were given a sheet of paper stating which tasks we had to complete. For me, I didn't need the TST (wasn't given the option to do so either) or the maths and english. Others did and their form was marked accordingly.

Following this, I did my cognitive test. It was pretty straightforward so please don't worry about this too much. The only advice I would give to anyone is not to rush! It lasted about half an hour or so. Maybe slightly longer but I'm not sure.

After this I was given lunch and told to wait in the accommodation block until called. In fairness, lunch was decent! Baguette, crisps, yoghurt bar, fruit and bottle of water. Was a good time to be able to chat to a couple of others about what they were there for. Some oldies like me applying to join the AR, some teenagers looking to join the Paras (always the Paras...). There was a couple of blokes there to do their medical only before going to Officer selection which I thought was a bit weird but whatever. I guess it's a way of getting the medical out of the way.

After 30 mins or so, my number was called by the Sgt and I was instructed to go for my medical. Cue a long period of time waiting and then doing my audio, visual, ECG, weight tests before finally being summoned for my doctor's review. Probably was with him for 30mins or so for the most vigorous and thorough medical examination of my life! All good thankfully and I was given the desired green card (I'll let you guess what a red card means) which allowed me to progress to the physical assessment.

Bleep test went fine. Did a much better score than I required (Applying for Corps so quite a bit lower). Was amazed how poorly some of the others seemed to perform. Put it this way, it was pretty obvious who had prepared and who hadn't. Med ball throw and mid-thigh pull were no issue so that was fine.

After this we were given the opportunity to shower and get changed. I did (because I'm old and would have stunk of BO if I didn't) but the Sgt was very clear we didn't have to wear suits or anything. So I didn't. I just wore what I was in previously, minus sweat-sodden t-shirt.

After a little wait, my number was called and I had my interview. It lasted probably around 5 minutes or so. Consisting of why my chosen unit, then going through all my various scores. After which it was a "well done and best of luck for your career" and I was out the door and in a minibus back to the main gate!

Overall I really enjoyed myself and found it very satisfying. Be prepared for a lot of hanging around but it was fine. Everyone I dealt with was, while direct at times, very helpful and happy to answer any questions I or anyone else had.

As I mentioned earlier, I was a bit apprehensive about going to an AC in sports clothing (it just didn't feel right) but it was fine. A couple of lads turned up in suits but they were the ones who looked a bit out of place.

Hopefully this is helpful to some and I wish you all the very best in your upcoming AC!

Thanks very much for the heads up... I would like to know which AC you attended and if you got your phase 1 start date. Thanks

Really insightful writeup, cheers for that!

Jimmyfmj

Swinger
Had my AC yesterday, passed everything with flying colours (11.6 mft 5m med ball, 146 mid thigh and smashed tst/cof test) but i have a few sunspots on my hands so the doctor requested i get a gp letter to confirm they’re nothing worse. Doctor deffered my medical but i still got my green card. Assumed i’d just get a letter sent from my go and it’d all be fine. Just had a message saying i’ve failed and would have to re-apply from the same doctor. Anyone have any advice? Will i have to re-start from the beginning and re-apply? Massively gutted at the moment!

I know how that feels man, went on the 11th and was medically deferred because I need to be checked for sickle cell disease and they also want a second opinion on my hayfever.
They didn’t allow me to run though, I was told I wouldn’t need to redo anything if I passed the further medical checks. I’d just have to come in for the fitness and that’s it. Massively gutted as I got on really well with everyone on the day :/
Probably worth giving your recruiter a call for some further clarification on what’s going on.

M3nsa

Swinger
I know how that feels man, went on the 11th and was medically deferred because I need to be checked for sickle cell disease and they also want a second opinion on my hayfever.
They didn’t allow me to run though, I was told I wouldn’t need to redo anything if I passed the further medical checks. I’d just have to come in for the fitness and that’s it. Massively gutted as I got on really well with everyone on the day :/
Probably worth giving your recruiter a call for some further clarification on what’s going on.

Too bad mate, have already been booked for the sickle cell trait?

By the way, are you a Commonwealth applicant?

Jimmyfmj

Swinger
Gutting isnt it, at least the test results are good for a year, hoping mine doent take long to resolve! Good luck to you

Kaytemonn

Clanker
Gutting isnt it, at least the test results are good for a year, hoping mine doent take long to resolve! Good luck to you

Hey guys don't get too disheartened by any medical delays. I got deferred for 3 years, now I'm ending my phase 2 training and will be going to my unit in a few weeks.
It's shit now but persevere and you'll get here eventually ☺

Hey guys don't get too disheartened by any medical delays. I got deferred for 3 years, now I'm ending my phase 2 training and will be going to my unit in a few weeks.
It's shit now but persevere and you'll get here eventually ☺
Thanks a lot for the words of encouragement, I’ve been putting things together just to have a chance at joining for 2 years now and I’m not about to throw in the towel at the last hurdle

ScootScoot

Swinger
Hi All,

Have selection in a few days - Is it true that you don't get any chance to warm up/ stretch before beep test? I have seen a few posts saying it was straight into it... considering they are so tight on medical and wont allow you to perform physical tests at the slightest of issues why would they risk you running to your max heart rate and risk injuries without proper stretching and warming up?
Also there are many studies that you dont perform your best on a beep test without a decent warm up?
I need to stretch im late 20s ha! Also have been getting low level 9s for infantry and would hate for this to drop to below 8.7.

Any advice?

somme2195

Swinger
Hi All,

Have selection in a few days - Is it true that you don't get any chance to warm up/ stretch before beep test? I have seen a few posts saying it was straight into it... considering they are so tight on medical and wont allow you to perform physical tests at the slightest of issues why would they risk you running to your max heart rate and risk injuries without proper stretching and warming up?
Also there are many studies that you dont perform your best on a beep test without a decent warm up?
I need to stretch im late 20s ha! Also have been getting low level 9s for infantry and would hate for this to drop to below 8.7.

Any advice?
I did my assessment on the 1st of March and it was straight into it. We never done any warmups or stretching prior to the bleep test.

ScootScoot

Swinger
I did my assessment on the 1st of March and it was straight into it. We never done any warmups or stretching prior to the bleep test.
Cheers for the heads up mate - think thats ridiculous but hey ho guess ill be stretching all day during the times im waiting around then ha!
how did you get on with everything? got a date for basic yet ?

It may not be ideal, but a multi stage fitness (beep) test has a steady build up, and the passing levels are low enough for most that any reasonably fit individual should barely break a sweat to reach them.

You won't always have the luxury of a warm up for certain runs around the block etc, when in phase 1

ScootScoot

Swinger
It may not be ideal, but a multi stage fitness (beep) test has a steady build up, and the passing levels are low enough for most that any reasonably fit individual should barely break a sweat to reach them.

You won't always have the luxury of a warm up for certain runs around the block etc, when in phase 1
yeah gotcha mate thanks - just thought a small lower limb stretch would be good especially with the motion of turning back and forth etc but its fine. More worried about the randomness that is the medical but nothing i can do but keep fingers crossed i dont have a dodgy heart ha! Thanks for the heads up!

yeah gotcha mate thanks - just thought a small lower limb stretch would be good especially with the motion of turning back and forth etc but its fine. More worried about the randomness that is the medical but nothing i can do but keep fingers crossed i dont have a dodgy heart ha! Thanks for the heads up!
Yep a warm up would be ideal, but the current situation and time restrictions are probably not helping.

Honestly don't worry about that at all, just keep plugging away at the things you can control and you'll do absolutely fine.

Good luck, keep us posted about how you get on :)

Latest Threads