Recreational Diving Use of Rebreathers?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Trip_Wire, Jul 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Are there any recreational divers, using rebreather equipment in the UK? :?

If so, what brand of rebreather are you using? Is it Closed circuit or Semi-Closed Circuit?

http://www.nwdesigns.com/rebreathers/Default.htm

I like the Draeger, as tested in this article.:

http://sportdiver.com/article.jsp?ID=10392

I doubt, that I'll buy one anytime soon though when the suggested retail begins at $3,050 (And that was in July/Aug of 2000.) :wink:

An interesting comment on rebreathers:

"How deep can you dive?"

This is a difficult question to answer because it varies based on the unit and circumstances. For instance, an O2 rebreather should be limited to 20 fsw, while there have been chamber lock out dives on closed circuit rebreathers over 1000fsw!

In general, the limits for diving fully closed circuit units revolve around bail-out requirements more than the rebreathers themselves. It's difficult or impossible to carry enough bailout gas for a total system failure on the rebreather when you are making long deep dives.

Having said this there are people in the world who regularly dive rebreathers over 400fsw. 8O More typically rebreather divers stay under 200fsw just like regular divers but with extended bottom times."

2. brettarider

brettarider On ROPs

Knew a diver from Hohne in the mid-late 90's using a rebreather but cant remember his name

3. I've seen a few knocking about but the cost puts a lot of people off I think.

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

True! They are pretty pricy! They also require un-learning, many things one gets used to, when diving normal open circuit, SCUBA gear. The price will hold me off too. :wink:

A lot of professinal UW photographers, either use them or are swtiching to them because of the lack of bubbles and noise, that make it easier to take pictures of fish, etc., UW. (Especially Sharks.)

I have used the military closed circuit oxygen diving apparatust, in the military; however, its use of oxygen, limits it's use for going much beyond 20 to 30 ft or so.

I do like Dräger equipment though. This is why I picked the Dräger rebreather (recreational type) in the report I posted. I liked the bonus of the better buoyancy control, lack of dry mouth and longer bottom times at shallow depths, etc., as well as the advantage when taking pictures, etc.

Dräger Military:

http://www.specwargear.com/images/Update-030307/dive-LAV-compare-2.JPG

5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I dive rebreathers Inspirations, Dolphins and have tried out a couple of others, but have a preference for open circuit - what exactly is your question TW :?

6. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Alsacien:

My question? I think you must have missed the topic, as well as this.:

Quote:

"Are there any recreational divers, using rebreather equipment in the UK?"

You seemed to have answered that question, for yourself. :wink:

BTW: Which of the rebreathers, that you ave used to you trust and like the best?

7. One of the blokes who co-owns my local dive shop does a bit of re-breather diving. Not sure which type he uses, though.

8. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Like, would have to be the Inspiration, especially in its latest edition (which I have not dived yet). But I have lost a good friend on it, so I could not say I trust it or any other CCR.
    Trust would have to be the RB80 from Halcyon, rare in Europe. Dolphins work fine but are soo limited in application as to not be worth the effort and cost IMO.

Megladon looks fantastic, but not dived it yet.

9. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

IMHO all rebreathers should come with this warning.:

THIS DEVICE IS CAPABLE OF KILLING YOU WITHOUT WARNING!

The KISS rebreather seems to be gaining some interest with local divers; however, there has been at least one death locally, with an experienced diver using one.

KISS Rebreather:

http://www.nwdesigns.com/rebreathers/KISS_new/kiss.htm

http://www.tmishop.com/sportkiss.htm

This Inspiration rebreather?

http://www.nobubbles.com/Rebreather/inspiration.htm

10. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Thats a bit like the plastic packaging on US goods "do not put this plastic bag on your head - danger of suffocation".

I prefer open circuit, it lets me do 100mtr wreck dives with my wife and 100% redundancy - I have no need for more.

A friend of mine is the leading Inspiration diver in the world with more time logged than anyone else - he swears by it and foregoes OC backup.

The safest diver I ever knew was another friend of mine who died last year on it, cause not yet known.

The is a rather famous Swiss cave diver who builds his own triple redundant CCR's. He says (with a strong French accent) "I cannot carry more - if all 3 systems fail - it was not your day"!

11. Most I Know Use the AP Valves one (Insperation) some use the Megladon but it seems to have a poor reputation and is a lot more expensive over here never progressed to this level so not realy up on it but will ask around as some of my mate are doing 100m+ dives with this sort of kit.

12. Isn't 100m a bit beyond recreational?

13. Yes.

CCR = Closed Circuit Rebreather

I've heard of CCR being used recreationally.

I've spoken to a few chaps who dive/teach the AP-Valves Inspiration CCR. The concept sounded great (I was young and new to diving, so shiny kit appealed) but I was greatly put off my the approx. £6000 price tag. Apparently at least £1k of that went on the mandatory training course - the kit being delivered to the school you designate to stop you killing yourself & giving the product a bad name.

Pure-O2 CCR are favoured by Military types due to rugged simplicity and no bubbles for guards / hydrophones to see/hear. But I suppose T_W knows more than me.

The ones I were shown had an O2 tank and a "Diluant" tank, so that the Partial Pressure of Oxygen could continually adjusted for the depth. Thus you can go below 6m without Oxygen Toxicity.

For sports-divers the appeal is
    1) Bubbles don't scare the fish
    2) Long endurance at shallow depths
    3) Lengthy endurance at deeper depths, in a small package, while mainaining an optimal gas-mixture for minimal decompression penalty.

It was point (3) that appealed to me, as I was begining to think about working up to do deep wrecks.
    However, a more "Tech" member of my club pointed out that for deep dives, in the event of a faliure, you'd be unlikely to complete safe decompression breathing off the 3ltr Diluant tank in open circuit mode.
    He suggested that given the hassle of carrying enough tanks of appropiate breathing mixture to bail-out at the worst possible point, you might as well bin the CCR and do the whole dive on Open Circuit.

So I guess SCUBA is here to stay...

14. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

Yes, you are right! The recommended limit for recreational divers is 130 feet. Most military diving with SCUBA is limited to that depth as well.

15. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

smiffy_the_ferret:

"So I guess SCUBA is here to stay."

For now any way! I think that in the future, rebreathers will get better and better, as well as less costly and will take the place of the Open Circuit SCUBA, we now use today.