Recovery from Stroke

Yokel

LE
One of the local community nurses will be seeing Mum today. The sore on Mum's arse is bleeding. A blow up cushion sounds like a good plan

She did try a reclining chair but did not get on with it.

Mum only has carers coming in for morning wash and dress visits. She was just been weak due to the cellulitis (in her good leg she can use) and antibiotics, and not eating much.

It does not help that I am going through stressful stuff myself!

Yokel

LE
Correction - no nurse visit today, but Mum did have a quick wash from the carers. She is also having a little bit of breakfast. Her swollen leg and foot is going down and is almost back to normal. Not being able to put weight on her good leg had caused problems.

Do GPs get reports of ambulance call outs? That is twice in two weeks, the previous one was in 2017.

Poppy

LE
Correction - no nurse visit today, but Mum did have a quick wash from the carers. She is also having a little bit of breakfast. Her swollen leg and foot is going down and is almost back to normal. Not being able to put weight on her good leg had caused problems.

Do GPs get reports of ambulance call outs? That is twice in two weeks, the previous one was in 2017.
it's worth you phoning her GP - there may be more care available for her if you ask - or ask the district nurses maybe

Yokel

LE
it's worth you phoning her GP - there may be more care available for her if you ask - or ask the district nurses maybe
When she was discharged from hospital she had four care visits a day. A pair of carers to get up/wash/dress, two quick visits during the day, and a nightime one to get changed again. With the exception of the morning ones it was a bit hit and miss.

Late 2018 the provider pulled out with less than a week's notice. It took months to get the morning visits arranged. Lack of people (namely Physiotherapists) has caused problems from the start.

Apart from anything else it is isolating and depressing for all of us.

Yokel

LE
The Physio visited offchance (the old man phoned the office), and discussed things, such as a possibility of using some sort of belt with the ReTurn stand or some alternative that offers the ability to sit rather than fall.

Mum is off the antibiotics and her leg is returning to normal. She just needs to build her strength up so she can pull with her good arm and put weight on her good leg. She is starting the eat more normally.

The nurse dressed the wound on her arse. They are looking into things to relieve the pressure.

Poppy

LE
The Physio visited offchance (the old man phoned the office), and discussed things, such as a possibility of using some sort of belt with the ReTurn stand or some alternative that offers the ability to sit rather than fall.

Mum is off the antibiotics and her leg is returning to normal. She just needs to build her strength up so she can pull with her good arm and put weight on her good leg. She is starting the eat more normally.

The nurse dressed the wound on her arse. They are looking into things to relieve the pressure.
glad she's getting some help. Keep them on their toes - if you don't ask you don't get in my experience!

Yokel

LE
Sometimes it does feel that Mum (and the rest of us) have been forgotten about. Why will no politician make a commitment to investing in rehabilitation? More Physiotherapists and Occupational Therapists - both of whom are in short supply.

No only would it be humane, but it would save money on care costs and allow people to return to the workforce.

Yokel

LE
I think Mum is getting some of her strength back. We are still using two people for lifting, moving, and lowering, but she is able to push herself back into her chair. She is also starting to eat more normally, and having normal(ish) care visits.

The cellulitis and antibiotics just made her weak.

Yokel

LE
I think she is starting to get her energy back. I helped with getting her up/down several times in the night but they did one without me. Also a few minutes ago. She has eaten a bit, had her normal morning Cappuccino, and I got some Complan from Boots yesterday.

I am absolutely knackered - depression/anxiety/other life events, and not good ones.

Yokel

LE
Mum is getting stronger, but the problems caused by reduced movement of people due to Coronavirus will delay things like house modifications and getting her out and about.

She still eats little,, but she does start the day with a cuppicino and biscuits, then has Ready Break or Wheatabix later after the carers have come and gone. She insists she once had Complan and she ate it from a bowl, not as a drink? Eh?

soleil

War Hero
Mum is getting stronger, but the problems caused by reduced movement of people due to Coronavirus will delay things like house modifications and getting her out and about.

She still eats little,, but she does start the day with a cuppicino and biscuits, then has Ready Break or Wheatabix later after the carers have come and gone. She insists she once had Complan and she ate it from a bowl, not as a drink? Eh?
Pleased to hear that she is getting stronger, Yokel.

From what I can see, there used to be a product called "Complan & Oats Nutritious Vitamin Rich Cereal" - it's listed on Amazon but is out of stock - but it's from about 15 years ago. Danone bought Complan about 9 years ago and I think that they revised the product range then, dropping the Oats product.

The current range comprises Complan Original, Complan Soup and Complan Drinks. They do have a recipe book, though, if you fancy a go!

The banana cheesecake looks nice!

soleil

War Hero
By the way, further to my earlier suggestion of asking the GP/Nurse about Fortisip drinks, I thought that I would add that there is also something called Forticreme, which is a little creamy pudding - vanilla, banana, forest fruit and chocolate - it's very palatable!

Print out the page for it and ask whether your Mum could have some.

Poppy

LE
By the way, further to my earlier suggestion of asking the GP/Nurse about Fortisip drinks, I thought that I would add that there is also something called Forticreme, which is a little creamy pudding - vanilla, banana, forest fruit and chocolate - it's very palatable!

Print out the page for it and ask whether your Mum could have some.

my mum had that-she wasn't keen(but at least ir's on prescription so free) I think she had strawberry and vanilla

Yokel

LE
The COVID-19 outbreak is causing problems. Mum had not been able to have Physiotherapy, and there has been worries regarding carers. The sudden extra roles being performed by the council are delaying getting the house modifications done. The lockdown means my brother cannot visit- but he does phone.

Fortunately she and Dad have a volunteer to help with things - me!

soleil

War Hero
The COVID-19 outbreak is causing problems. Mum had not been able to have Physiotherapy, and there has been worries regarding carers. The sudden extra roles being performed by the council are delaying getting the house modifications done. The lockdown means my brother cannot visit- but he does phone.

Fortunately she and Dad have a volunteer to help with things - me!
Yokel

I'm wondering whether you could find a chair based exercise video for your Mum on YouTube; it would enable her to do some gentle movement while remaining seated and help with maintaining her mobility and flexibility.

I'm very touched by the posts you write about your Mum. It's not an easy situation to be in but you are doing really well; you can be proud of your efforts on her behalf. I can imagine how much your Mum must treasure you; she is grateful for the things you do for her, I'm sure of that.

Yokel

I'm wondering whether you could find a chair based exercise video for your Mum on YouTube; it would enable her to do some gentle movement while remaining seated and help with maintaining her mobility and flexibility.

I'm very touched by the posts you write about your Mum. It's not an easy situation to be in but you are doing really well; you can be proud of your efforts on her behalf. I can imagine how much your Mum must treasure you; she is grateful for the things you do for her, I'm sure of that.
This may sound silly and may raise a smile although it's not meant to be funny - I wonder if something as simple as buttock clenching exercises has any merit? It can be done sitting down.

Putting arms under a little tension (no weights, just her own muscle tension), while flexing them as if weight lifting is one way of toning arm muscles and might help circulation?

Yokel

LE
Right now she is still recovering from the Cellulitis and the skin damage left, and the priority is stay safe during the current pandemic. She has quite a lot of strength in her right arm and pulls herself up. Her left arm is paralysed and damaged at the shoulder.

I feel guilty for not helping more as she did so much when I was injured as a child, and still provides a listening ear.

Yokel

LE
Mum seems to be sleeping a lot and has a lean to her left side for some reason. Obviously the current COVID-19 crisis has delayed things such as the house modifications.

Her right foot is still not fully recovered and she cannot get a shoe on it, causing problems and pain when she stands on the return. The pain has kept her awake at night, which makes her sleepy during the day.

Yokel

LE
Mum did get phoned up by the Physio this week- but all non emergency visits are off. The house alterations have been delayed.

Mum has a phone from her niece yesterday explaining that her sister is not in an old folks'/nursing home that has gone into lockdown. As she has a simple phone she was unable to phone Mum.

Latest Threads