Recovery from Stroke

Muscle tone? Regaining strength?
Her left arm has more movement than it did, which is important as she uses it to stand. The Physio also said she had more strength that before in her left leg. The aim has always been to get her to the point where we can help with walking practice.

Physio again today - the a wait of another two weeks. If only she could get a period of me intensive therapy to consolidate improvements and get to the stage we can help her practice, and then work on getting her out and about.

Still waiting to hear back from RBL.

The RBL lady has replied. Apparently the Physiotherapy people have suggested Mum's carers can help her practice walking, despite the fact they only visit in the mornings and are busy. Also, the Physio that sees her had not said Mum is at the stage where Dad and I can help her practice..... Which is what we have been aiming for.

She (RBL lady) is looking into possible ways to help.

Last edited:
The RBL lady has replied. Apparently the Physiotherapy people have suggested Mum's carers can help her practice walking, despite the fact they only visit in the mornings and are busy. Also, the Physio that sees her had not said Mum is at the stage where Dad and I can help her practice..... Which is what we have been aiming for.

She (RBL lady) is looking into possible ways to help.
carers (as mum's said when she had them) aren't qualified to do physio which is what it is. It's the NHS trying to do things on the cheap :(

you'll need to fight I'm afraid......we gave up and mum's in a care home where her care is very good

They are probably not insured either! My point is if the Physio who sees her thinks Mum is not ready to be helped by family members, then why would carers be any better? The NHS has never really done rehabilitation, odd since it get set up in the aftermath of WWII when many men returned to civilian life with life changing injuries.

My own experience with my own severe injury (hit by car and brain injured at age seven) was that there was little rehabilitation, it was the folks (particularly Mum) who taught me to use my hands again, so I feel guilty for not being able to do more to help her.

Bit of a rough day today - Mum had a migraine early this morning and called the cancel her fortnightly Physiotherapy, only to be told the Physio was ill and would not be attending anyway.

Meanwhile, my father (her main carer) is fatigued by things like having to help her get up for personal care. Surely this one of the things she needs physiotherapy for? She can get up from a commode or wheelchair, nut her usual soft chair is a harder option.

I am not feeling that great about things today - sadly this is not the only source of stress in my life right now.

Latest Threads