Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Recovery from Stroke

I wish Mum was getting more Physiotherapy - once a week on paper means on average once every other week. I had hoped we would have got her up and out to the garden centre of somewhere by now.

Also she gets very depressed and I have no idea what to say....

I wish Mum was getting more Physiotherapy - once a week on paper means on average once every other week. I had hoped we would have got her up and out to the garden centre of somewhere by now.

Also she gets very depressed and I have no idea what to say....
I wonder if asking her about happy times in the past might get her talking?

She talks all the time, but gets very down. That is understandable, and I know that emotional lability of one of the consequences of any kind of injury to the brain.

The problem is she only has the use of her right arm. Mind you she does manage to cut people's hair (I could do with a trim), and sort of told me how to make a Bread Pudding on Wednesday evening.

The problem is she only has the use of her right arm. Mind you she does manage to cut people's hair (I could do with a trim), and sort of told me how to make a Bread Pudding on Wednesday evening.
Well that sounds really good and interactive. If you don't know what to say, maybe you could ask for more cookery tips and maybe type up the notes. If you use any of them you can discuss it.

Yokel, sorry to say this but we've been here before.

Contact gp , social services, community matron etc. Keep nagging them until they eventually give in and do their ******* jobs. This should not be your sole responsibility!

Well that sounds really good and interactive. If you don't know what to say, maybe you could ask for more cookery tips and maybe type up the notes. If you use any of them you can discuss it.

She is pretty much all there mentally, the problem is with her mostly disabled left side so she cannot stand unaided - at least not from her normal chair. She is still more than capable of telling people how to cook things, what plants go where, giving advice to carers..

Yokel, sorry to say this but we've been here before.

Contact gp , social services, community matron etc. Keep nagging them until they eventually give in and do their ******* jobs. This should not be your sole responsibility!

I have no idea where to turn for help....

I have no idea where to turn for help....

See my post!

This is in no way intended to be sarcastic, but you MUST get assistance from outside agencies who are qualified to do this! I'm sure there's a fair number of Arrsers who would go out of their way to help if it was physically possible, but asking on here is not getting you any further at the moment.

Please PM me if you wish. I can try and make enquiries for you if you don't feel up to it.

Yes please - the largest issue I think is not getting enough physiotherapy. She does not need to do hand stands or run a marathon, but being able to stand mostly on her on, walk more than five/six paces, and get into (and out of) a car would improve the situation for everyone.

I have just sent an e-mail to the RBL asking for help - and advice. As well was being RNR myself, Dad (her main carer - and feeling the strain) is ex RN, and my Grandfather (Mum's Dad) did twelve years in the RN before being recalled for World War Two.

I have really been feeling guilt for not being able to help more this week.

I have just sent an e-mail to the RBL asking for help - and advice. As well was being RNR myself, Dad (her main carer - and feeling the strain) is ex RN, and my Grandfather (Mum's Dad) did twelve years in the RN before being recalled for World War Two.

I have really been feeling guilt for not being able to help more this week.

King George Fund for Sailors?
Royal Navy Benevolent Fund?
Royal British Legion?

RNBT have helped the folks, although I am not entirely sure of the details. They (folks) would not tell me if my arse caught on fire. I do not think they have asked specifically for help with getting extra Physiotherapy, so I did.

RBL will be a good start.

RNBT have helped the folks, although I am not entirely sure of the details. They (folks) would not tell me if my arse caught on fire. I do not think they have asked specifically for help with getting extra Physiotherapy, so I did.

RBL will be a good start.

I got a fairly generic reply - saying that we are eligible for help and listing different types of help RBL provide, but nothing more specific. I must try to find the contact details for the Devon branch.

I did get some advice from my CoC - but the old man needs to action it himself really. In fairness to him he has been busy sorting other stuff out for Mum.

Mum had Physiotherapy today, and she (the Physio) seemed to agree we could help her a bit with walk, and eventually transferring into a car. As for the walking, my brother built her a summer house thing which does have a hand rail attached to one of the walls so she can practice walking without a quad stick - which should help with her standing.