Recovery from Stroke

The problem is she only has the use of her right arm. Mind you she does manage to cut people's hair (I could do with a trim), and sort of told me how to make a Bread Pudding on Wednesday evening.
Well that sounds really good and interactive. If you don't know what to say, maybe you could ask for more cookery tips and maybe type up the notes. If you use any of them you can discuss it.

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
Yokel, sorry to say this but we've been here before.

Contact gp , social services, community matron etc. Keep nagging them until they eventually give in and do their ******* jobs. This should not be your sole responsibility!

Yokel

LE
Well that sounds really good and interactive. If you don't know what to say, maybe you could ask for more cookery tips and maybe type up the notes. If you use any of them you can discuss it.
She is pretty much all there mentally, the problem is with her mostly disabled left side so she cannot stand unaided - at least not from her normal chair. She is still more than capable of telling people how to cook things, what plants go where, giving advice to carers..

Yokel, sorry to say this but we've been here before.

Contact gp , social services, community matron etc. Keep nagging them until they eventually give in and do their ******* jobs. This should not be your sole responsibility!
I have no idea where to turn for help....

StBob072

LE
Book Reviewer
I have no idea where to turn for help....
See my post!

This is in no way intended to be sarcastic, but you MUST get assistance from outside agencies who are qualified to do this! I'm sure there's a fair number of Arrsers who would go out of their way to help if it was physically possible, but asking on here is not getting you any further at the moment.

Please PM me if you wish. I can try and make enquiries for you if you don't feel up to it.

Yokel

LE
Yes please - the largest issue I think is not getting enough physiotherapy. She does not need to do hand stands or run a marathon, but being able to stand mostly on her on, walk more than five/six paces, and get into (and out of) a car would improve the situation for everyone.

Yokel

LE
I have just sent an e-mail to the RBL asking for help - and advice. As well was being RNR myself, Dad (her main carer - and feeling the strain) is ex RN, and my Grandfather (Mum's Dad) did twelve years in the RN before being recalled for World War Two.

I have really been feeling guilt for not being able to help more this week.

I have just sent an e-mail to the RBL asking for help - and advice. As well was being RNR myself, Dad (her main carer - and feeling the strain) is ex RN, and my Grandfather (Mum's Dad) did twelve years in the RN before being recalled for World War Two.

I have really been feeling guilt for not being able to help more this week.
King George Fund for Sailors?
Royal Navy Benevolent Fund?
Royal British Legion?

Yokel

LE
RNBT have helped the folks, although I am not entirely sure of the details. They (folks) would not tell me if my arse caught on fire. I do not think they have asked specifically for help with getting extra Physiotherapy, so I did.

RBL will be a good start.

Yokel

LE
RNBT have helped the folks, although I am not entirely sure of the details. They (folks) would not tell me if my arse caught on fire. I do not think they have asked specifically for help with getting extra Physiotherapy, so I did.

RBL will be a good start.
I got a fairly generic reply - saying that we are eligible for help and listing different types of help RBL provide, but nothing more specific. I must try to find the contact details for the Devon branch.

Yokel

LE
I did get some advice from my CoC - but the old man needs to action it himself really. In fairness to him he has been busy sorting other stuff out for Mum.

Mum had Physiotherapy today, and she (the Physio) seemed to agree we could help her a bit with walk, and eventually transferring into a car. As for the walking, my brother built her a summer house thing which does have a hand rail attached to one of the walls so she can practice walking without a quad stick - which should help with her standing.

I did get some advice from my CoC - but the old man needs to action it himself really. In fairness to him he has been busy sorting other stuff out for Mum.

Mum had Physiotherapy today, and she (the Physio) seemed to agree we could help her a bit with walk, and eventually transferring into a car. As for the walking, my brother built her a summer house thing which does have a hand rail attached to one of the walls so she can practice walking without a quad stick - which should help with her standing.
This sounds very positive.

Yokel

LE
Still need more therapy - the folks have a lot of stuff going on right now (so have I) and I have tried to point them in the right direction..... I am also near breaking point with my own issues.

One of the major issues is carers. Mum has had carers coming in since her return home - which was fine but the company seems to have gone downhill. Toxic management have driven staff away faster than new ones can be replaced.

Mum has has 0900 visits every morning to wash/dress/etc - if there is no carer then Dad has to do it. Now the company keep giving her visits at 1000. Since the visit takes about an hour this would mean she cannot have breakfast until after 1100. She has a hiatus hernia and cannot eat before being pulled around.

Trouble is that really eats into the day - and conflicts with Physiotherapy, going outside, etc.

What to do?

Yokel

LE
Also - are there any modified versions of first aid? For example - choking. What do you do if the person choking cannot stand? Surely someone must have thought about what to do if a disabled person needs first aid?

No advice from the hospital etc.....

Last edited:
Also - are there any modified versions of first aird? For example - choking. What do you do if the person choking cannot stand? Surely someone must have thought about what to do if a disabled person needs first aid?

No advice from the hospital etc.....
Is the bed electrically tiltable? Sounds like it's all done manually there. I would think that tilting it upwards towards vertical would help if that were an option. Another option is bypassing the asophagus and feeding liquid food by pipe. Hopefully she is not needing that.

Yokel

LE
She is not on a bed - but sitting upright on a sofa. We did try with a bed after she came out of hospital, but had no end of problems. Hence the interest in modified methods of first aid.

Anyway - the big issue is convincing my father to contact RBL to help in getting physiotherapy. I cannot do it really, he has to do it but seems hesitant to actually just talk to them. He was going to do it on Friday, but..... Arrgh FFS! I actually got guidance from my own CoC advising me that as a Reservist, I carry less weight than he does as an ex regular.

To add to the fun - the agency that provides the carers seems to have lost most of their staff, and seem to be trying to get rid of clients. One of the carers (not a regular one) manged to dislocated Mum's paralysed arm. Before then she had some movement in her left hand and the physio was working on it, but since then.

An X ray at the hospital confirmed the dislocation - but it was not worth the risk of operating. Mum wants to know if she can sue, how she would do that, and are there any time limits?

Yokel

LE
The $hit really has hit the fan. Since discharge Mum has had carers coming in fours times a day. Not a problem, until the last year of so when the management seemed to piss of more and more of their staff. They have offered Mum what they called 'rapids', but understandably Mum is not happy with the idea of receiving personal care from someone she has never met. She suggested being introduced to them, but the company has said no. The regular carers have become like friends, and as Mum is housebound are her main source of social interaction other than Dad, me, and my brother.

For the last month or so her usual 0900 visit has been moved to 1000. This no good for Mum, as it was mean not having breakfast until after 1100 - she has a hiatus hernia and cannot eat and then get moved and pulled around. The later time would also cause problems with the rare occasions when she has Physiotherapy.

I finally got Dad to drop a line to RBL yesterday with a view to trying to get more physiotherapy with a to help her stand/walk at least semi interdependently and go places in a car.

This morning a letter arrived from the Care Agency's office. They have unilaterally pulled out (surely they want to work?) and as of Sunday afternoon, Mum will have no carers. They have let the council and Devon Carers (????) know, but there is no service in place. The care package was arranged and funded by the NHS and Social Services.

Can they do that - pull out of a contract with not even a week's notice?

The grapevine suggests this company has over extended itself, and has been messing clients around so they complain etc, and then binning them for being difficult.

I have not got a f***ing where to go or who to talk to.

Last edited:
Your first port of call will be Social Services. They may have been informed by your current provider, they may not. Best to make sure.

Yokel

LE
Social Services do know, but are not sure if they have to find another provider, as they had found one before. As mentioned here, we have been put in this situation was less than seven days notice.

Why is everything so hard? It seems like a constant struggle to get the basics.

Yokel

LE
Mum had her last care visits today - it was emotional as it was a carer who she really likes. She will miss her. The loss of social interaction (with another woman) will effect her.

I am still shocked at the way this happened. No doubt the company will try to blame Mum for not accepting carers who have injured her, and been less than honest about it, or total strangers who have not been introduced. When there was a meeting, the company suggested that Mum could wear a mask if attended by a carer with poor personal hygiene. When she said one carer had put her hand in hot water and scolding it, they suggesting she could get a thermometer.

Latest Threads