Recovery from Stroke

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Paradoxes. Cheese contains saturated fat but on the other hand it helps neutralise acids in the mouth. In small amounts, maybe it's okay. In any case best ask a dentist about options. Paging @Fang_Farrier in case he has any ideas for oral hygiene for patients with limited mobility?

If you Google caring for smiles guide for families, there is a resource there.
But ideally a domiciliary visit from the dental team would be the best idea.
These might be from your own dentist or by the local community dental service.

Yokel

LE
Yes - I have given it an 'informative' rating in lieu of thanks. Mum's problems is postural same with her eating, so the key is trying getting her into a more sitting upright type position. I think I will drop a line to her GP and the nurses in case they have any suggestions.

Yokel

LE
Can you get chocolate with protein added? Mum struggles because of her posture, but liquids and soft things are alright, so why not some chocolate to melt in her mouth? Lots of calories, which she needs, and possibly protein etc. I wonder if it is time to visit the health food shop?

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Can you get chocolate with protein added? Mum struggles because of her posture, but liquids and soft things are alright, so why not some chocolate to melt in her mouth? Lots of calories, which she needs, and possibly protein etc. I wonder if it is time to visit the health food shop?

Or make your own

Yokel

LE
Maybe try some normal milk chocolate first! I did find something at Holland and Barratt. My thinking is that it will melt in her mouth and be easy to swallow.

The senior physiotherapists and the occupational therapist are seeing her in Wednesday to pick up where they left of, and start working to improve her posture for eating and to get her more mobile - off the bed.

Maybe try some normal milk chocolate first! I did find something at Holland and Barratt. My thinking is that it will melt in her mouth and be easy to swallow.

The senior physiotherapists and the occupational therapist are seeing her in Wednesday to pick up where they left of, and start working to improve her posture for eating and to get her more mobile - off the bed.
Thank goodness.

Yokel

LE
The Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist today. Mum seems to have her mind made up her is going in a (recliner?) chair, but worrying they did point out some of the difficulties, and that a sudden change is posture might be dangerous - heart attack. They did have a chat with her, and tried moving her bed into a more chair like position whilst checking her blood pressure. Mum's blood pressure held up well.

Helpfully they are going to put together some instructions so we can do that with her every day. That also asked about the house adaptations and her wheelchair.

The Physiotherapist and Occupational Therapist today. Mum seems to have her mind made up her is going in a (recliner?) chair, but worrying they did point out some of the difficulties, and that a sudden change is posture might be dangerous - heart attack. They did have a chat with her, and tried moving her bed into a more chair like position whilst checking her blood pressure. Mum's blood pressure held up well.

Helpfully they are going to put together some instructions so we can do that with her every day. That also asked about the house adaptations and her wheelchair.
A problem with a traditional recliner is physical weakness can make them harder to use. Perhaps they had something in mind?

Yokel

LE
The OT visited again today - previous visit cancelled due to migraine. She has produced an 'idiot's guide' to moving Mum's bed into more of an upright positions, and done it with us, measuring Mum's blood pressure as she went There was a lowering in blood pressure as she changed posture, but it recovered after a few minutes.

Something like this can be done regularly and hopefully prepare her for moving into a chair/wheelchair, and also it might be better for eating.

Last edited:
I know I [deservedly] take the p**s out of your Task Group ASW and Sea Harrier fixations, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly admire your support for your Mum in this difficult scenario.

As I've alluded to on another thread, some elderly folk have no-one and nothing to turn to in times of difficulty, your family are fortunate to have your persistence and support.

Yokel

LE
I know I [deservedly] take the p**s out of your Task Group ASW and Sea Harrier fixations, but I have to say that I wholeheartedly admire your support for your Mum in this difficult scenario.

As I've alluded to on another thread, some elderly folk have no-one and nothing to turn to in times of difficulty, your family are fortunate to have your persistence and support.

I just do my best. remembering how things where and what can be achieved, worrying about the basics steps needed to progress, and thinking about vital things often taken for granted. Integration is everything. Helping Mum is just the same!

I do take after her a lot, particularly in terms of temperament.

Yokel

LE
Not sure how much an improvement this is, but Mum has just had a couple of the chocolates I bought her. I thought chocolate would be a good thing for her as it is full of calories and melts at body temperature, so no great amount of biting and chewing.

She had no problem swallowing that - and a McDonald's milkshake just before that.

Yokel

LE
To my shame we have not yet done any of the exercises involving changing Mum's bed position and her posture. This was partly because her blood pressure seemed a bit low last time I measured it.

Mum has continued to munch a few chocolates and ate some of the trifle she asked me to make. Her main calorie and nutritional intake at the moment continues to be Fresubin (2 kcal/ml) mixed with Horlicks.

Yokel

LE
Frustratingly we are running low on the very neutral Fresubin drinks - the doctor tried to give her a substitute but Mum did not like it. We have got Strawberry and other ones that she can drink. I am hoping she was starting eating more solid stuff - hopefully some baked potato this this lunchtime and a bit of hot cross bun sometime.

She was unable to COVID-19 jab, but my father is due his second dose this week, and as a carer my GP arranged for me to queue jump - I am too young (ish) and healthy to be in a priority group.

Yokel

LE
Not much to report - but Mum ate a jacket potato with cheese. Not the skin though. A good bit of nutrition. She has also been drinking normal Horlicks and she did have a McDonald's milkshake.

The letter from the dietics finally arrived this morning, although it seems to assume that she can attend an appointment at the hospital.

Yokel

LE
The dietician will do a consultation over the phone next week as they cannot visit. Since she had run out of the neutral Fresubin, I tried adding cream to Mum's Horlicks to bulk up the calories. Bad mistake - it made her ill. She is better today but she has not eaten much or done exercises. She said that she had hoped to have a couple of meals yesterday. I was trying to help!

If she was stronger she would need less care. Bit of a catch 22.

Yokel

LE
I went to pick up the Fresubin drinks from the dispensary today, only to find that they had ordered the wrong ones. Not neutral, but toffee flavoured ones. No good for putting in horlicks or coffee, and too sickly for her to drink from the bottle. If only they had listened to the nurse who tried to order 56 neutral ones.

Part of the damage to her brain makes her emotionally labile. She was a bit emotional watching some of the TV news coverage of the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.

Last edited:

Poppy

LE
I went to pick up the Fresubin drinks from the dispensary today, only to find that they had ordered the wrong ones. Not neutral, but toffee flavoured ones. No good for putting in horlicks or coffee, and two sickly for her to drink from the bottle. If only they had listened to the nurse who tried to order 56 neutral ones.

Part of the damage to her brain makes her emotionally labile. She was a bit emotional watching some of the TV news coverage of the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh.
I phoned the unit manager at my mum's place yesterday and she said the mood there was sombre due to the news about HRH - it hadn't occurred to me but he was part of their generation and history - they would have known him from when he first started courting the then Princess Elizabeth . they have a different perspective to a younger generation who see him as a respected older man

Yokel

LE
Some progress - Mum has been continuing to eat small and/or soft things like a backed potato or a boiled egg. The dispensary also managed to sort out the neutral Fresubin for her, to go in Horlicks etc.

The dietician called via phone. I suggested that we take the call by mobile and put it on loudspeaker. Outcomes include the Fresubin being asked to go on repeat prescription, the doctor being asked to prescribe a multi vitamin supplement, Mum agreeing to try some new protein supplements, and more advice, and being sent more advice in the post.

Mum said she wants a pasty from the local bakery tommorow - the filling if not the pastry. She wants savoury things.