Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovery from Stroke

Yokel

LE
I tried one of those mugs/cup thing babies have with a thing to sip from on the lid

Yes we have one of them. Unfortunately as Mum cannot grip due to a swollen hand we have to do it for her. Not nice for her as she has no control - but she needs it.

She has been tilted today to help with the bum and leg wounds, and to elevate her arm, but it made things harder when she tried a sandwich. Hopefully she will try something soft later.

Poppy

LE
Yes we have one of them. Unfortunately as Mum cannot grip due to a swollen hand we have to do it for her. Not nice for her as she has no control - but she needs it.

She has been tilted today to help with the bum and leg wounds, and to elevate her arm, but it made things harder when she tried a sandwich. Hopefully she will try something soft later.

have you tried lifting her head and spoon feeding her? I did that once for mum with cauliflower cheese as it's her favourite - you could maybe use yoghurt or something

Yokel

LE
Since her hand has been swollen Dad has been doing that every morning with porridge of a sort. The trouble is being interrupted by nurses! We need to get her to take as many of those drinks as possible, and anything else. We also need to get her eating more solid stuff, and to bring that hand back into use as soon as possible.

Yokel

LE
Eating and drinking is still an issue. Mind you, Mum had an attack of the runny s**** yesterday so she had nothing then. Getting stuff in via straw is hard - as we are having to do it whilst ge hand is swollen. The nurse today said she is dehydrated.

She had one of the 200ml/400 kcal drinks about half an hour ago - but in a beaker. Maybe try another later. I had hoped she would try some Macaroni pudding I made yesterday as it is soft and full of calories.

Yokel

LE
Mum's wounds are recovering, and the swelling in her hand is starting to subside. My main concern is her lack of calorific intake - we were able to get hold of some Strawberry flavoured versions of the nutritional drinks but it is a struggle to get her to have more than one a day. She is wary of solid food - but she ate it before she went into hospital.

I wish she would have some porridge or something in the mornings but I think being moved around by the carers and put partly on her side puts her off. Having said that, right now she is having a little custard from a pot. Only a few mouthfuls though...

I am starting to add sugar to her drinking water. Every calorie counts.

Yokel

LE
The Occupational Therapist visited and Mum seemed somewhat annoyed that she cannot get a chair before Christmas - so many setbacks starting in July. However the OT did move the bed into more of a sitting position as a first step.

There was a blood pressure drop, which the OT will speak about with the nurses and Mum's GP. For nearly five years Mum coped with standing repeatedly throughout the day.

Aaargh!

Yokel

LE
Can anyone recommend an exercise to help the swelling in Mum's hand to go down and to bring her fingers back into use? She can grip lightly but it causes her pain. Yet I think that she needs to do this several times a day, and also elevating her arm would help?

Any ideas for a hand exercise?

Poppy

LE
Can anyone recommend an exercise to help the swelling in Mum's hand to go down and to bring her fingers back into use? She can grip lightly but it causes her pain. Yet I think that she needs to do this several times a day, and also elevating her arm would help?

Any ideas for a hand exercise?

try a stress relief ball - soft and easy to squeeze

Yokel

LE
The swelling in her hand has gone down but she seems unable to grip. She can use her hand to scratch an itch. Although she has not been eating solids, she says she wants Christmas dinner.

I also seem to be having trouble measuring her blood pressure this morning. The machine does work - I tried it on myself.

Yokel

LE
She said she would try eating solid food today - nothing. She said she would take her blood pressure tablet once it had been measured - nothing. We were meant to be seeing a nurse today - nothing. I was meant to be doing stuff today but instead I got sent shopping with a few minutes notice.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
MiL had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) in the car whilst Mrs F was taking her to shops.

All the signs of a stroke, face, arm, speech, sudden onset.

Ambulance called, by time it arrived, partial recovery.

Admitted to hospital, CAT scan, blood tests. Released same day with slight change of meds.

MiL has no recollection of event and is annoyed that Mrs F called an ambulance!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The swelling in her hand has gone down but she seems unable to grip. She can use her hand to scratch an itch. Although she has not been eating solids, she says she wants Christmas dinner.

I also seem to be having trouble measuring her blood pressure this morning. The machine does work - I tried it on myself.

Have you got the right size cuff?

Yokel

LE
MiL had a TIA (transient ischemic attack) in the car whilst Mrs F was taking her to shops.

All the signs of a stroke, face, arm, speech, sudden onset.

Ambulance called, by time it arrived, partial recovery.

Admitted to hospital, CAT scan, blood tests. Released same day with slight change of meds.

MiL has no recollection of event and is annoyed that Mrs F called an ambulance!

Scary to see that happen. Was Mrs F alright?

Hypertension?

Have you got the right size cuff?

I put the cuff on the wrong way up. But then again I have not used it for months.

Mum tried to eat a bit of chipolata and egg sandwich this afternoon, but struggled to chew and swallow - hopefully because she is out of practice. She needs to try with softer things like custard or rice pudding.

I had to go out this morning and did not have chance to speak to the nurse.

Last edited:

964ST

Old-Salt
@Yokel You are going through a very testing time, and you seem to be doing everything in your power to assist your Mum.
I lost my mother last year (probably a bad term of phrase, cause I know exactly where she is ( on the mantelpiece in the house that my sister inherited). She was admitted to a Macmillan care home with terminal cancer, and I cannot thank them enough for there dedication and level of attention to the needs of their patient. (If members need to donate they are an excellent recipient).
Bad year! Dog died, one month later my Mum, one month later my Nephew and one month later my Father-in law.
I wish you and your Mum all the best.

Yokel

LE
@Yokel You are going through a very testing time, and you seem to be doing everything in your power to assist your Mum.
I lost my mother last year (probably a bad term of phrase, cause I know exactly where she is ( on the mantelpiece in the house that my sister inherited). She was admitted to a Macmillan care home with terminal cancer, and I cannot thank them enough for there dedication and level of attention to the needs of their patient. (If members need to donate they are an excellent recipient).
Bad year! Dog died, one month later my Mum, one month later my Nephew and one month later my Father-in law.
I wish you and your Mum all the best.

Thanks mate and my condolences. God Bless!

You could argue that Mum is my carer - not so much at the moment but earlier in the year she has been my main source of support and listening. I get my temperament from her.

Yokel

LE
I suspected that Christmas Day would be difficult. Mum really wanted to get up and sit in a chair to eat Christmas Dinner, but:

1 She has not eaten solids for well over a month.
2. She was not got out of bed, last attempt resulted in syncope and a trip to hospital.
3. She would be unable to grip the ReTurn stand.

She got a right sad on. We tried to give her a little but to lunch but no. She did try a few small mouthfuls of Christmas Pudding. She perked up a bit to learn of our investigations into family history and then presents.

Yokel

LE
Mum also had a little taster of sandwich and then cheese this evening, She has trouble swallowing which I suspect is because she is laying on her side. I will speak to the nurse about it tomorrow - put her on her back to eat.

She is at least asking for things - and she had one of her drinks.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Mum also had a little taster of sandwich and then cheese this evening, She has trouble swallowing which I suspect is because she is laying on her side. I will speak to the nurse about it tomorrow - put her on her back to eat.

She is at least asking for things - and she had one of her drinks.

Swallowing is the domain of the Speech and language therapist.

When did she last have her swallowing assessed?

This might be useful

Apologies if you already aware.

Yokel

LE
Swallowing is the domain of the Speech and language therapist.

When did she last have her swallowing assessed?

This might be useful

Apologies if you already aware.

I believe the last time was in 2015. All the years she ate sitting she had not problem. It became a bit of her problem now she is lying, but she still ate a bit. One of the reasons for wanting to get her into a chair was for eating....

Since discharge in November she has been on her side which has caused problems with eating.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I believe the last time was in 2015. All the years she ate sitting she had not problem. It became a bit of her problem now she is lying, but she still ate a bit. One of the reasons for wanting to get her into a chair was for eating....

Since discharge in November she has been on her side which has caused problems with eating.

Definitely needs seen by a SALT then, especially if she has not had anything too solid for a while and is trying to go back onto them.

Latest Threads