Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recovery from Stroke

Yokel

LE
I think insurance is one of the reasons the carers cannot use equipment not specifically in the company documentation. They are also restricted in what creams they can apply.

I do not think that relying on carers for everything is a sustainable solution in the long term. Mum needs to be able to do as much as possible for herself.

Yokel

LE
She is still not at all keen at being in bed any more than she has to. Sadly arranging any kind of therapy takes times. She is still only eating a little, but it is hard for her lying and she is not using much energy. She is frustrated at not being able to get outdoors as the weather is good at the moment....

Currently waiting for the nurse. The old man has taken a day off and gone walking, supposedly akong the coast.

Yokel

LE
The bed must be paying off, as the nurse commented that the wounds on Mum's legs and arse have got much better - previously they have been described as 'like raw meat'. I still think she needs a break from it which will make eating and teeth cleaning easier, and give her exercise in using the right arm and legs.

Yokel

LE
Another visit by the Physiotherapist and OT today, to try to assess Mum's ability to stand - using the ReTurn stand. All alright - until she had to push and pull herself up. She has lost core strength from not using her stomach muscles and not being able to eat so much due to lying in bed - however it has done wonders for her legs.

We just need to push calories into her.

soleil

War Hero
Do you have any Complan in the cupboard? I can't remember whether you stocked up.

Have you asked the Physio and OT about getting her something firmer than a pillow to help her sit up?

Yokel

LE
Back to the prescribed nutritional milkshakes - I thought we had run out. Other than that it is a case of trying things, and paying enough attention to learn lessons, like not cutting the crust off sandwiches - long story.

Also try her with some simple exercises like lifting her bum or leaving forward and reaching.

Last edited:

soleil

War Hero
I wonder whether there are some fun exercises on YouTube for people who are confined to bed. I know that there are some for people who have to stay seated in a chair. That could work?

Yokel

LE
I have tried small things to get her leaning forward. Being in bed has really helped her wounds, but at the expense of loss of strength. The priority is building her strength back up, exercises but also making her eat and drink more.

Does whole milk contain more protein than semi skimmed? I am thinking of milkshakes? Would protein powders help? I am going to make a trifle as well.

Yokel

LE
The GP visited today - last time he was worried about Mum's wounds getting infected and causing Septicaemia. Today there was a bit of a communications breakdown as he thought Mum was on about leaving her bed permanently. No, it is about getting out for a few hours. She has said she will retry the Sara Stand.

She just needs to build strength in her core and right arm.

Yokel

LE
She needs to eat more - a lot more. Being supine is not really conducive to this. Also is it a natural tendency to sleep when lying - something I have noticed in myself. The falls and infection in July knocked the stuff out of her and she is struggling to recover.

I have learnt that she likes cold blancmange, so I have made one for her to have cold. I added some Sanatogen protein powder as she needs it.

soleil

War Hero
If she likes blancmange, she might like Creme Caramel as well.

Yokel

LE
We could try it, but the solution is getting her out of bed to eat and do other things. Wll show the link to her and the Old Man.....

Hopefully the high protein blancmange will help. We can also add the powder to her breakfast - Ready Brek or Wheatabix. I think she was put off normal porridge when I made her some and it was a bit crunchy....

Yokel

LE
We do have a lot of apples to use. I can make crumble.... I wonder if I could throw in some of the protein powder in it? I have had problems finding blancmange powder in recent years - do I need to go to more supermarkets or can it be ordered online?

When she was in hospital she sat for her meals. I can understand how it is now more difficult for her, and that being in that position is an appetite suppressor.

Yokel

LE
The Physiotherapists no longer have an objection to Mum getting into a chair during the day. The trouble is getting her there, as transfers from a lying position are not something she has done, and she still needs to eat more and build her strength back up.

We are now putting the high protein powder in everything we can. We are trying other things to make eating easier.

Last edited:

Yokel

LE
I can't remember whether she likes ice-cream? Can you mix it into ice-cream?
She does but stuff takes a lot of mixing - at least it did when I put some in a blancmange, which then extra filling. It can go in anything made with milk, and possibly a little bit in gravy and stirred in well.

Some gentle exercises would help too.