Recovering a relative's medals

Discussion in 'Medals' started by Fronty, Nov 12, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

With Remembrance Day almost on us, my grandfather in law was thinking of his father, a veteran of both the Great War and World War II.

I've seen photos of his father, and Grandad mentioned that he had won seven medals in WW1 and three in WW2, including a DCM in the first War. He also mentioned that his brother had sold on his father's medals at some point in the past, something that he's has never been happy about. He also mentioned that pretty much all of the paperwork that existed about them has gone too, so he has effectively nothing left about his father's wars.

And so my question: How can I get my Grandad's father's medals back, or at least copies of them?

From how he talks about it, it would mean a lot to him, and I would like to find out more about a man that, judging from the DCM, was a very brave man.

Any ideas welcome, and thanks in advance.

2. A few recent threads about this have a look around and you could also try the search function.
  3. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I can't help with the physical medals but I do have a months access to which has some of the WW1 and 2 records in it, if you PM me a name and any other info you may ahve I'll have a look on there and see if it brings anything up.

4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

I may have done a bit better than a I thought I would - quite scarily better actually...hope Fronty thinks so anyway..;)

Must do more of this geneology stuff, it's quite fun once I get going.

Fronty if you need more help give me a shout.

5. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Unless you can find the actual medals and barring the Mons Star WW1 campaign medals weren't marked to individuals, you will have to buy replacements. Plenty of places to do that!

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!
  6. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

Thanks to some stellar research by Mr. Reaction, I've now got a ton of info on the medals. However, I don't think that getting them bacl is going to be an option given that S_R found a link to their last sale where they went under the hammer for over £6k.

Thanks very much for all your help and suggestions. I really appreciate it.
  7. All WW1 medals were named to the recipient, not just the Mons Star

WW2 medals were issued unamed

You could try posting on British Medals Forum • Index page , someone may have them or seen them on offer.

Dix Noonan & Webb Auctioneers have an extensive auction archive online, if they have sold them then they will be online. They may even forward a polite letter to the buyer if you ask.

Expect to have to pay market value or higher to get them back. Collectors will be genuinely cautious if approached by family members as more often than not it can degenerate into a bitter feud over right of guardianship.

The best way to approach it is to make it clear that you are interested at market rate and would like first refusal if they are ever up for sale.

I have a couple of these offers pending on family medals. It's frustrating but you never know.

Good luck
  8. Just read your last. If you need some good replacements at cost price let me know
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Sorry I was misinformed! I was told the only way was if a medal in the group was gallantry it was named, I was told that they were issued regardless the difference being WW2 you had to apply if you had left the service already.

Some mornings its hardly worth chewing through the straps! Sent from my Blackberry!
  10. that was the case with WW2 but all WW1 campaign medals were named.

Other Ranks Number Rank Name Regt/Corps

Officers Rank Name
  11. Sure they were sold & not that someone "borrowed" then to bling up his rig at a dinner night :wink:
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Yup 100% just checked the wifes grandads set upstairs. As you describe but a mons star with date clasp named to a Bdr but his victory medal to a Lt, so he saw the whole thing out! His WW1 set loose mounted and his WW2 set just loose as he left at end of hostilities. Loose ones include defence medal, 39 to 45, africa and italy stars. Got around the old gunner BEF in both scraps!