Recovering a deleted phone message

I've just accidentally deleted a message I *really* wanted to keep - any idea if I can recover it?

Samsung Galaxy S4 on 3.

TIA

BB

Subatomic

Clanker
You mean you want to sneakily check your missus' deleted messages due to suspicions.

Which is fine, obviously, but just say so.

:) you cynics...

Voicemail, MF.

Waldorfmuppet

Old-Salt
I tried a few years ago and the phone company were able to send me a list of the numbers I had called/txted but couldnt give me the content of the msgs. Had to pay for it and provide proof of ID etc.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
No, unless you stayed on the phone after deleting message. Can be recovered in voicemail as long as you don't hang up.

My understanding is that voicemails are stored on your service provider's system, not on your phone (though persons more knowledgeable may be able to tell us otherwise).

If that's the case, the only possible hope would be to ask your provider. Could imagine that the quicker you ask them, the better the chances of them being able to recover it, but could also imagine they have a policy of saying "no," because otherwise they'd have to set up an entire department just to deal with this sort of thing.

I've just accidentally deleted a message I *really* wanted to keep - any idea if I can recover it?

Samsung Galaxy S4 on 3.

TIA

BB
Contact 01242 221491 and ask the kind people at GCHQ to recover it for you.
Please note:
The nature of GCHQ’s business means that we will not usually connect external calls unless the caller has a name or telephone extension to provide to the operator. If you are unsure who to contact please provide the switchboard with as much detail as possible about your enquiry to ensure you are connected correctly.
Contact Us

I would laugh till I shat if the message contained a last minute deployment opportunity and the telephone number to arrange PDT and the caveat that if they don't hear from him today they'll presume he's not interested :)

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer

Samsung Galaxy S4 on 3.

TIA

BB
Was it a message from your Sergeant Major saying you could borrow his medals for the mess do and please don't lose them....

Wordsmith :)

You rang?

It depends, is the answer.

Smartphones typically download the VM to the phone itself, and keep it cached there until you delete it. Thus when on a plane, you can replay your messages. To prove, put your phone into airplane mode, and replay an old msg. It should work, if the phone is any good. iPhones keep deleted messages. Scroll to the bottom of the VM list and there's a "Deleted Messages" section. Go in there and you can recover deleted messages. Or permanently bin them by deleting from there. Works like the Trashcan on a computer. I have no idea if Samsung/Google ripped off that part of the IPR from Apple, never used a Galaxy. You might be lucky.

On the network side, again it depends. The VM platform can usually be configured for various behaviours. It may delete the VM as soon as you delete it on the phone. It may respect the Trashcan and only delete it when told to (upon permanently deleting "deleted messages" on the phone). It might simply delete them when delivered to the phone.

One thing you can do is call the VM line for roamers (+447782 333 123 in the case of 3 UK). See what's in there.

Then learn one of life's lessons. Don't cheap out and get a proper smartphone :)
Buggered if I can find a deleted messages file on my iPhone.

Boxy

GCM
I get the option to listen to deleted messages when ringing my voicemail...4s on EE iOS7.2

Follow these instructions:

1. Charge phone fully
2. Remove sim and type in *#3131#
3. Replace sim and reboot phone
4. Repeat the above whilst placing your neck under a gas axe
5. Bleed out quietly

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I would laugh till I shat if the message contained a last minute deployment opportunity and the telephone number to arrange PDT and the caveat that if they don't hear from him today they'll presume he's not interested :)
I was thinking much the same thing. Then he could say he'd pu this hat in the ring for a third time... unfortunately, he deleted the text.

Edit:

I was looking for a deploying gag and found this...

Was this you? Own up!

[video=youtube;LrFzlNkqMPY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LrFzlNkqMPY[/video]

I was thinking much the same thing. Then he could say he'd pu this hat in the ring for a third time... unfortunately, he deleted the text.
You're quite right - I deleted that text, along with guff from another half dozen dullards who, despite having nothing to say, wanted to say it.

Some might say that The Duke simply tidied up the thread, but that'd just be ridiculous.

You silly billy.

Latest Threads