Records of Militrary intelligence in WWII occupied Europe

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by dj22l, Dec 31, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am searching for interview records of persons entering Syria during WWII which was at that time ruled by Britian. The people I am interested in were detained for questioning as they had escaped from from Nazi occupied Europe via Turkey.

Would such interviews have been conducted by the army and if so which branch/department is it likely to have been. Most importantly where would the archives be stored?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

2. The questioning of displaced persons, refugees, prisoners of war and other interested persons, or any matters pertaining to counter-intelligence during wartime, would have been carried out by officers and SNCOs of the Intelligence Corps Field Security units in World War Two.

For further information, you may wish to approach the Curator of the Museum of Defence Intelligence, who address and contact details are available through the MODUK website

3. Syria was Vichy French up until July 1941, when the British defeated them in the region. Anecdotal evidence suggests that Vichy handed any interesting refugees or escaped PoWs over to the Germans prior to this date.

4. Thank you for the replies. The people I am interested in entered Syria in 1944 when I believe it was under British control. Though they entered via Turkey they had come from Nazi controlled Europe.