Records of a bad apple Naval Officer

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bushmills, May 9, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Might be an Idea to look up National archives and see what their Military side has to offer. It looks a bit complex but may assist.

2. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

National Archives and the National Maritime Museum.

The Admiralty used to maintain a list of officers blacklisted from further appointments - I'm damned if I can remember what its called but it's in the National Archives. Its about the right time period for this Flynn character to be in it.

He's not in O'Byrne's Biographical Dictionary of Naval Officers - I looked in my copy. But that's not entirely surprising as O'Byrne wrote and asked for biographical details.

You can download a PDF of it from A naval biographical dictionary: comprising the life and services of every living officer in Her Majesty's navy, from the rank of admiral of the fleet to that of lieutenant, inclusive : O'Byrne, William R., 1823-1896 : Free Download & Streaming : Int

Wordsmith

3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

You could try grubbing through the appropriate Navy Lists of which there are runs of hardcopy in Kew, and in Portsmouth Public Library (upstairs, take id). The account of his prior 'legitimate' services must have come from him and is, I suspect, not to be trusted. There might be more in The Times archive, probably accessible to you via your County library card.

4. Sounds a fascinating search, please keep us updated and if I had time I'd certainly offer to help! Think there's a basis for an excellent book on this chap!