Recording our history

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by goatbagthedruid, Dec 2, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What is the best way of recording current and recent operations?

We currently use the following means to communicate:

Letter/ eBluey
    Twitter (so they tell me)
    Social networking
    Instant messaging
    Phone calls
    Digital photo

If these means are not collated, then they will be lost; with it, we will loose the heritage we all should want to have.

There will be some people out there who know of a Digital archive for the Army or do we need to create on? Are the IWM doing anything? How do we solve this?

A slightly concerned GBTD
  2. There are a number of formal collection methods which provide an archive for posterity at unit level (all OpOs, CDs and a variety of other documents are captured). You might already know that the Army deployed on Op TELIC with an official historian to "capture the moment". The subsequently published "The Fight for Iraq: January-June 2003" was the Army's pictorial account of the war.

The human history is being well recorded through a wide variety of books, each contributing to the account. In my experience diaries and letters usually end up with the IWM or regimental museums as part of a bequest.
  3. The issue is that there will be a lot of digitial areas which are not recorded - it is very difficult to archive tweets and social networking sites.

Op Records only cover certain areas and not the human side. Sub-unit records are normally done by a junior officer who cuffs it. There needs to be a more formal approach.

4. Yes - furrowed brows on the exact solution, but the IWM is aware of the problems, and may even have a plan...

5. IWM have added this worthy project and one which should be considered by all service personnel as well as the CoC:

Can this go as a sticky please?

6. Interesting article, WOTMS, and I think an acknowledged problem in Main Building.
    IWM being a museum of the sociology of conflict, they are trying to hang the story around the individual serviceman or woman, following the way they present WW1 and WW2, rather than critique at the political or tactical levels. At this level, a lot can "survive", if it is captured in a timely fashion. This is a big challenge, but also a return to the roots of the museum, which was founded while WW1 was still being fought. My personal impression is that there is still a lot of hard record - blueys etc, as the RAF Reg chap on the video says.