Record Site Hits

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Bad CO, Dec 1, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

We received over 1.5 million hits last month (Nov) which is a new site record.

Really you lot should get out some more......
  2. You wish eh :wink: :lol:

Boney stop stalking me ok :wink:
  3. I know, its a sad old life we lead. But counting 1.5 million hits eh, the long winter nights must fly by :wink:

On a serious note, dont site stats like that attract more lucrative advertising for the site? If i sold something that military minded people might like to buy, i wouldnt mind 1.5 million people a month seeing my advert.

4. And with it I suspect more censorship.

I'm not moaning or making a critiscism, just saying what I think.
  5. didn't realise shagane had been that bus 8O
  6. On the advertising front......I have an idea for a death ray (not yet developed) that only costs £60,000,000,000, I can legitamally claim I am a British/European consortium and that developmernt will safely take 15 years and will eventually be outdated at time of issue. Oh and it wont do what it say's on the might have to tinker a bit :oops:
  7. Stalking you? i'm hacking your webcam, god your flexible :wink:

LWM, You dont work for EDS do you, i think they've just won that contract :?

8. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Re advertising: we just did a fairly large mailshot to try and attract advertisers and some will have noticed a link on the front page to a short 'we're great' spiel. I agree that the site should be very attractive to advertisers and NAAFI F are certainly pleased with the results, particularly their ability to 'interact' with you lot when necessary. The difficulty of course is getting that message out.

The other ads on the site (pizzas etc) are done through a company called Tradedoubler and are standard clickthrough banners modified to fit the forum titles. As most are not military related, they don't have the same success, although they're new and it's still a bit early to judge.

It's surpisingly hard to make money through internet advertising and the site still relies quite a lot on the donations bit, although as you'll have seen from the figures on the front page, we get more than enough every month - many thanks to all. We've also done quite a bit of work on trying to get the Google banners to show relevant stuff rather than 90% adverts for american army boots and 'meet-a-US-marine' sites, and this is starting to become significant ($5 a day ish).

We've discussed the Donations module wording - currently begging - and when we get another true advertiser we'll cut it or change the wording to reflect the fact that the site is comfortably supporting itself. We'll probably continue with it as after so long running the site, neither of us would complain about getting a reasonable return, and there are users who like to contribute (thank you!) and some who like the ability to show that they do. I'm certainly much more in favour of this approach than the various charging ideas that have cropped up over the years.

Now you didn't expect an answer as long as that I'll wager.
  9. You have a problem with US marines?? :wink: :D
  10. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Of course not. I currently try to meet as many as I can on meet-a-us-marine sites under the user name "Wendy".
  11. Glad to hear that. And forget about our date next week, Wendy.

Your keen sales pitch has motivated me to finally donate to the site. Now where is my extra gong? :D
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

On the way. Trying to make a US one, but it's not proving easy. Thanks and 'wait out'.

Failed. Tried overseas service ribbons etc, but didn't work so small. You're stuck with HM's GSM and 'Mention in ARRSE' oak leaf.
  13. Thanks, I'll wear it with pride.

Now I feel like a real British soldier, buying my gongs! :lol: :lol: :lol: