Reconnaissance Soldier

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by phonetrader1221, Feb 10, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,

How long do you have to serve before you can become a reconnaissance soldier because on the armys website it just says ''when you have spent some time with your unit''?

Thanks

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

3. I'd suggest you haven't been in long enough yet, if you need to come onto the internet to find stuff out!

4. no timescale really! you can volunteer! it may take some time to get in but keep on asking!!

5. In an Infantry Bn it depends. The recce platoon are generally considered to be the best soldiers in the Bn (though other members of the Bn may disagree with this). It's very unlikely you'll get put forward for a recce cadre in your first couple of years.

When you've finished training and get to your unit give it time to settle in and get some experience behind you and then speak to your CoC about it.

6. Might be a simple answer, but if you want to be a recce soldier, why don't you join a recce regiment? The clues in the name really.

The recce regiments are: HCR, QDG, QRL, LD and 9/12L.

7. Because the recce platoon are gods among men?

Or, the OP wants to join the Infantry or he'd have posted this in the RAC forum.

8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It used to be a requirement to be a class 1 inf, that meant at least 3 years in Bn. Not sure about now and during ops the entry requiremnts get lowered but you still have to pass some rigorous training and phys to pass.

9. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

It's not that uncommon these days. I know a few lads who joined battalion fresh out of depot, but just in time for deployment. They proved themselves on tour and in the invariable post-tour shake up, got themselves put forward for a Recce cadre. I know that in old currency a bloke would do a year as a Class 1 Infantryman before being allowed to progress to support or PJNCO cadres (dependent on battalion), but the experience on Ops these days has allowed the cream to rise a lot faster in some cases.

10. True, but they must have had something about them to have been deemed suitable candidates after a tour and a bit in Bn. The only people who I know who managed it had been part of a gold medal winning Cambrian Patrol team.