recommended kit for spring challenge, (1 bravo)

BB, does that mean that some of us will have to sober up at some point?

God no, just don't post bolleaux!

Phew, had me worried for a moment there.

I'm completely sober as a matter of fact, just a rant as it really grips my shit how lads looking to join the Regular Army/TA get shot down on a regular basis with comments like "ask your recruiter what colour the boat house is" and "ask for 49 Para on your first dreamsheet".

Just think we can all be a bit more helpful, and then take the piss once they have the information.

cheers all,

i really cant wait, until i am fully trained and i am able to say im a british soldier! (might sound a bit sad!) thank you for the sound advice lads!

STAB-fusilier said:
cheers all,

i really cant wait, until i am fully trained and i am able to say im a british soldier! (might sound a bit sad!) thank you for the sound advice lads!
Keen as fuck, might have the odd nause moment while he's there, but so does everyone. Good luck mate, just remember to channel the keenness into the right areas.

Show some professional courtesy and check your spelling before you post. If thats too much trouble then use a spell checker, it takes less than 60 seconds. Sticking any old shit on just lowers the standards. Don't forget, your an ambassador for your unit / regiment / corp / whatever, if you cant be arsed to meet basic standards then don't expect anyone to want to help you, please don't waste the time of your unit / regiment / corp / whatever, just funk off.

Back to the topic, why are you going out buying gucci boots and what not? Whilst your in training you should stick to issue kit, as the many previous soldiers have done before you. If you can pass out with the issue kit, then you earn the right to the luxuries of gucci kit.

In regards to kit, off the top of my head...

All the issue stuff is a given, get yourself some good canoe sacks, for your bergan, pouches / field jacket, a spork, some water proofer to re-waterproof your kit, go to a Timpsons and get yourself a couple of them keyring hoop thingy majigs that your keys go onto, put them on your sleeping bags zip handle, field jacket etc, some WD-40, get some zinc oxide tape for your feet, some dark tape for general bits and bobs, pacing beads and an extra pouch for your webbing, a few bungees, hessian sack for your roll mat, get some black elastic strips sewed onto your webbing around the shoulders and on the pouches to aid you in your cam an con, iron / ironing board, safety whistle, spare combi-tool that you keep in your jacket to hand, a couple of black karibiners with one being clipped onto the back of your helmet so you can pop it on your webbing, make sure your well stocked up on boot polish, with both an on and off brush. Get yourself a map case, a note pad case, inside it you should have a rite in the rain pad, a few pencils, sharpener, pen, calculator, permanent marker, and some pre-printed laminated templates for things like route card, range card, sentry list, ammocas etc. Take a little bit of nail varnish, its good for wiping off the permanent marker off your laminated cards and doubles up to make you look like a proper field princess on your Saturday night field boogie, all the other boys will be so jealous.

Don't look like a bag of shit, look professional, do the business and you'll get on just fine.

You can be forgiven for making mistakes, its part of the learning process be it bad spelling or bad admin, but if you've been picked up on it once, then you should learn from your experience. Take it all in and you will do well.

Good list. Don't forget to get a hair cut, and DEFINATELY get a neck shave- they pull you up on that at first muster parade. Also spread the advice you get on here to your muckers. The fewer mongs you have in your section the more time the DS will have to teach you stuff.

cheers KF,

i bought my boots because I alpine walk and orienteer so killing two birds with one stone eh!. as for showing professional courtesy, thats all well and good, but i came on here because i thought that the members would be able to help/advise. not ridicule.

i will make sure i have a hair cut and so on JJ.

Dry_Clean_Only

War Hero
JonnoJonno said:
Good list. Don't forget to get a hair cut, and DEFINATELY get a neck shave- they pull you up on that at first muster parade. Also spread the advice you get on here to your muckers. The fewer mongs you have in your section the more time the DS will have to teach you stuff.
Top point. Information and knowledge isn't a something which needs to be kept in a box and monitored constantly in case someone wants some. It's best shared out and the assuming you are modest about it, the best thing is that it will make your firepair/fireteam/section etc far more capable both as individuals but more importantly collectively.

No one wants to be carrying dead weight and if you have got a neat tip for staying warm when it's pissing down, or can put your basha up in a way that it withstands the fiercest storm then let your mates know. That way everyone might get some sleep and that will put them on their toes when you're attacked at dawn...

The_Duke

LE
STAB-fusilier said:
cheers KF,

i bought my boots because I alpine walk and orienteer so killing two birds with one stone eh!. as for showing professional courtesy, thats all well and good, but i came on here because i thought that the members would be able to help/advise. not ridicule.

i will make sure i have a hair cut and so on JJ.
They have - dozens of times, on a number of different threads. There is even a wiki entry for it.

Perhaps you are not as switched on as your Cadet training leads you to think you are?