Recommended DIY website software?

Discussion in 'Gaming and Software' started by 4(T), Feb 21, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Despite having been a senior IT manager for a major international corporation, I've never tried to compile my own website. I'm currently using an old copy of MS Frontpage, but not finding it particularly helpful or intuitive (Step 1: Is your PC switched on? Step 2: Write your webpage. Step 3: Upload your webpage. Step 4: Here are 100 web tools that you'll never need and which we won't explain, so don't press the wrong button by mistake...., etc).

Whats a decent step-by-step "websites-for-dummies" package thats actually written in plain English, or has a dead easy interface?
  2. I have downloaded the free version of Coffee Cup. Looks pretty useful.

3. Your "websites for dummies" comment is actually quite a good one. There are a few of the for dummies series of books devoted to web authoring/design which can be incredibly useful. They also give trial versions of software on a DVD included with the book that you can try while you complete the exercises in the book.

I'm a dreamweaver fan - its bloody expensive but a trial version can be downloaded from Macromedia's website of the latest offering, and older Version 4 licences are not that expensive to buy on ebay. The software is aimed at the professional, but remains extremely easy to use if you only want to do the basics. It also handles the FTP upload of your site and the file/extension management etc. Excellent software all round.

You can also do yourself a great deal of favours by learning basic HTML - makes de-bugging and cleaning up your code alot easier.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Dreamweaver all the way mate, once you know a little HTML you'll fly through dreamweaver, and if you ever get stuck, either get that 'for dummies' book, or ask a website maker like myself or Boney...
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Dreamweaver MX as mentioned above.

Utterly intuitive. Very easy to use and does all of the work for you.
  6. But I would recomend getting the full Studio FX.
  7. Netscape Composer. Those above will remove you from the actual code. Better yet any old book of HTML and use Notepad.
  8. And if you want to be really uncomfortable you could sleep on a bed of nails and eat raw nettles.
  9. Why stand up when you can sit down?

Why sit down when you can lay down?

Why lay down when you can levitate? and use DW, like the man said.

I'd like to experiment with Joomla but unable to find time to get out of the hammock...
  10. Easy:

1. Open Notepad
    2. Copy and paste the following into notepad:

<html><colour=red><body>Hello World!</body></colour></html>

3. Save it as Index.html.

4. Get some webspace and host the file.

5. Voila.

11. Thanks for the responses.

Been away trying out the Coffee Cup link provided by Interceptor; yes its pretty good, although I had to upgrade to the "trial" version in order to activate the drag-and-drop facility, which was the sort of thing I was after. Now stuck on trying to format some tables (column widths, justification, borders) - Coffee Cup seems quite poor at this.

Yes, I understand how to compile HTML, but its not exactly user-friendly compared to a drag-and-drop package which can be compared to Powerpoint for ease of use.
  12. 14 days later and you compare some shareware web development tool to Powerpoint. FFS man, why didn't you just pay for Dreamweaver MX or something.
  13. DW Mx is ok, didn't take long to master once you know the basics, and depending on how you use it.

Just about to switch my site to Joomla (thanks to my friendly web guru), supposed to be easy but not actually tried it yet.

If you get hosted byYahoo, you could try their own inhouse site builder, as long as you're not making a massive website (in size) it's actually quite easy, if a little buggy sometimes.

Zee choice is yours!
  14. 4T, what exactly do you want the site for?
    It may be the case that there is something freely available that will do what you need - e.g. if you want a forum, then you can't go far wrong with dragonfly/cpgnuke/phpbb, if you need a cms then joomla, xoops & various others will fit the bill nicely, if you need a phot gallery, I always recommend minigal. Don't try to reinvent the wheel - someone may have already done all the hard work for you.

15. I'm just doing a basic "things for sale" site: simple home page with logo and text, then one or more pages of templates where I can insert a standard-size photo and a text paragraph for each item. Much like a photo-gallery.

Don't need all the bells & whistles - which is why I wasn't planning on spending £170 on dreamweaver, etc....