Recommended books about British Army in Bosnia or Bosnia ?

Hello Gents,

having been about 6 when these operations took place and far too young to understand, i'd like to read into it a bit. Had a quick look on amazon couldnt see anything that looked any good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Personal favourite is Milos Stankovic's Trusted Mole.

If you want some straight historical stuff rather than a memoir stick another post on here & I'll put some more titles up. Yugoslavia - Death of a Nation is pretty good as are Noel Malcolm's books on Bosnia & Kosovo for getting an in-depth historical picture. N.B. these are fairly heavyweight, not bedtime/beach reading!

There is a good one called "Cleanse their Souls" by Maj Monty Woolley, 9/12 wallah who served there as a Tp Comd. Its a localised view of the conflict rather than heavy political gumph.

There's one called 'A Cold War - Front Line Operations in Bosnia 1995-1996' which covers the transition from UN to NATO, by Ben Parry.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....

Hello Gents,

having been about 6 when these operations took place and far too young to understand, i'd like to read into it a bit. Had a quick look on amazon couldnt see anything that looked any good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
I was 35 and a company commander in theatre. Can't say I understood much of it either. Shooting BiH and saving Croats one day and doing it the other way round two days later.

As for books:

Milosh's (or Mike Stanley as we were obliged to call him) for the sheer cussedness of the place.

Christopher Bellamy's 'Knights in White Armour' for a pre-Iraq view of the new world order and the UN.

Mike Rose's 'Fighting for Peace'.

Mark Cook's 'Promise of Hope' for a look at Croatia in 1992.

Misha Glenny - any by him for the historical and political background.

Kent-Payne 'Bosnia Warriors' for a view from a Warrior.

Haven't read Monty's.

And anything that Allan Little or Martin Bell have put together.

Better add, I suppose, that my lads only opened fire in response to people having a pop at us and getting a bit too close for comfort. They soon stopped.

Commando comics anyone?
Good idea, but much as I enjoyed reading of the exploits of Capt Hurricane as a boy, they never did explain that one of the prime political reasons for more than a decade of intervention in sandy places is a direct result of the failure to grasp the Bosnian nettle (or to leave it entirely to its own devices).

PS. Did this thread start off in the NAAFI? If so, a thousand apologies. Try the Sun or the Mail and get the fuzzy wuzzies while they're not looking.

I thought General Rose's Fighting for Peace was quite interesting, although I don't really know enough about the war to comment on whether it was particularly self-promoting or anything. It was fairly well written and gave a good insight into the task he and the UN mission faced.

I thought General Rose's Fighting for Peace was quite interesting, although I don't really know enough about the war to comment on whether it was particularly self-promoting or anything. It was fairly well written and gave a good insight into the task he and the UN mission faced.
I knew him in a couple of incarnations (nothing too exotic) and he never struck me as self-promoting. Very interesting family and educational background.

No doubt others will disagree.