Recommended books about British Army in Bosnia or Bosnia ?

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by youngrichie, Mar 15, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello Gents,

having been about 6 when these operations took place and far too young to understand, i'd like to read into it a bit. Had a quick look on amazon couldnt see anything that looked any good. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
  2. Personal favourite is Milos Stankovic's Trusted Mole.

If you want some straight historical stuff rather than a memoir stick another post on here & I'll put some more titles up. Yugoslavia - Death of a Nation is pretty good as are Noel Malcolm's books on Bosnia & Kosovo for getting an in-depth historical picture. N.B. these are fairly heavyweight, not bedtime/beach reading!
  3. There is a good one called "Cleanse their Souls" by Maj Monty Woolley, 9/12 wallah who served there as a Tp Comd. Its a localised view of the conflict rather than heavy political gumph.
  4. There's one called 'A Cold War - Front Line Operations in Bosnia 1995-1996' which covers the transition from UN to NATO, by Ben Parry.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE so I should probably be working....
  5. My favourite:

Winter Warriors"- Les Howard, 2 LI
    • Like Like x 1
  6. my fav is " the death of yugoslavia" it accompanies the BBC tv series
  7. He is also an arrser, good book too.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

I was 35 and a company commander in theatre. Can't say I understood much of it either. Shooting BiH and saving Croats one day and doing it the other way round two days later.

As for books:

Milosh's (or Mike Stanley as we were obliged to call him) for the sheer cussedness of the place.

Christopher Bellamy's 'Knights in White Armour' for a pre-Iraq view of the new world order and the UN.

Mike Rose's 'Fighting for Peace'.

Mark Cook's 'Promise of Hope' for a look at Croatia in 1992.

Misha Glenny - any by him for the historical and political background.

Kent-Payne 'Bosnia Warriors' for a view from a Warrior.

Haven't read Monty's.

And anything that Allan Little or Martin Bell have put together.

Better add, I suppose, that my lads only opened fire in response to people having a pop at us and getting a bit too close for comfort. They soon stopped.
  9. Behind enemy lines.
  10. Commando comics anyone?
  11. Brotherton Lad

Good idea, but much as I enjoyed reading of the exploits of Capt Hurricane as a boy, they never did explain that one of the prime political reasons for more than a decade of intervention in sandy places is a direct result of the failure to grasp the Bosnian nettle (or to leave it entirely to its own devices).

PS. Did this thread start off in the NAAFI? If so, a thousand apologies. Try the Sun or the Mail and get the fuzzy wuzzies while they're not looking.
  12. Back of the bog door in Vitez garage was always a good read ;-)
  13. Try Bob Stewarts "Broken lives" and its only 1p on Amazon
  14. Brotherton Lad

I bet you're the bloke that stuck my Rarden back on the wrong way.