Recommended air rifles

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by JJ123, Oct 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi there everyone,

As the name suggests, i'm after an air rifle. I'm looking for one that's fairly powerful (going to be used for pidgeons, rabbits etc), .22 calibre, and reasonably easy to maintain for under £300.

I was looking at a BSA lightning XL, from what i gather BSA make good quality stuff, and are a well known brand.

Any other suggestions or recomendations?
  2. If you want a BSA get yourself a second hand Airsporter - that'll sort 'em out and it's a big, sexy underlever.

Or a Weihrauch HW35 or HW80. All are good powerful, accurate hunting guns that second hand won't cost much more than half your budget.
  3. It's been a lot of years since I've been involved with air rifles but you won't go far wrong with an Airsporter, as long as the spring and washers are OK.
  4. or read the other zillion threads on air rifles :)
  5. :D :D :D yeah zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz............
  6. I did have a quick look, but most of the rifles being suggested were a bit out of my price range.
  7. The offerings from Gamo are cheap enough. I bought one from Trago Mills for £130 and that included a carrying handle on top. Here's the model that I should have bought CLICKY This one does have a half decent trigger pull. Mine does not
    You should be able to pick one up for about £200
  8. I use a gamo cfx royal and it bowls rabbits over out to about 40yds quite nicely only drawback is that the insertion of the pellet into the breech is very fiddly.
  9. Did you try putting the pellet in the air rifle first though?...

Before you tried blasting the bunny....

Edited to add; I dinny want to split hares....
  10. So what's your budget? (Including scope etc.)
  11. What pellets have you tried? I'm using the Crosman Accupels at present and I have the same problem as you. Its' p**s poor that breech tap design
  12. I'm using rws hollow point a good pellet with lots of knockdown. Hopefully i shall pick up a precharged one from the Czech republic in the new year.