Recommendations needed.

Gents,
Can anyone recommend a really good and informative book about the Soviet 'war' in Afghanistan. This is an area of history that I have recently taken an interest in.
Cheers

Last edited:
Smartascarrots has beaten me to it but I happily second his suggestions. Afghantsy is excellent.

You also come to realise that, despite being green conscripts in many cases, the you Soviets sent into Afghan really were hard as nails in their own fashion.

ou also come to realise that, despite being green conscripts in many cases, the you Soviets sent into Afghan really were hard as nails in their own fashion.
I was quite surprised by how good some of the conscript units actually were and how much they achieved. Certainly, a lot of what I saw in the newsreels or read in Braithwaite's book seemed oddly familiar from more current films.

I was quite surprised by how good some of the conscript units actually were and how much they achieved. Certainly, a lot of what I saw in the newsreels or read in Braithwaite's book seemed oddly familiar from more current films.
There's been one or two decent movies about the Soviets in Afghan that have covered true events. If they are even 25% true to the history it makes you scratch your head in wonder.

Boys in Zinc might interest you too. It's not a history, more a collection of reminiscences by Soviet soldiers and soldiers' families, particularly bereaved families.

The title is an allusion to the Soviet practice of putting the coffins in zinc containers to minimise decay during transit home.

Incidentally, I spent a month in Moscow, studying at the Military Cadre of the Moscow State institute for International Relations in 2006. A very senior Russian officer (and serial Afghan Veteran) asked me 'What the hell are you lot doing in Afghanistan? they have already beaten you twice and the Soviet Union once. Learn you lessons and go home alive'. He had a point.

Smartascarrots has beaten me to it but I happily second his suggestions. Afghantsy is excellent.

You also come to realise that, despite being green conscripts in many cases, the you Soviets sent into Afghan really were hard as nails in their own fashion.
I'll third the book, an excellent read.
At the risk of a slight thread tangent, there was a great documentary made by Channel 4, late '80's/early '90's, covering a few Russian units out there.
A very moving soundtrack to it-alas, my copy was on VHS and long lost.

I'll third the book, an excellent read.
At the risk of a slight thread tangent, there was a great documentary made by Channel 4, late '80's/early '90's, covering a few Russian units out there.
A very moving soundtrack to it-alas, my copy was on VHS and long lost.
The one I mentioned above had quite a few songs written by the servicemen themselves. It ended on the very atmospheric parody Ех, Афган.

I would add in The Bear Went Over the Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics in Afghanistan by Lester Grau as another good starting point.
The "companion" book The Other Side of the Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics in the Soviet-Afghan War by the same author is also very good.

Zhopa

War Hero

Tuffty

War Hero
You don't need books, just watch Rambo II or was it III or was it IIII, Afghans good guys, Russians bad guys

combatintman

War Hero
RAND Study here on morale and performance factors in the Soviet Army. Probably a bit niche but again free ...

Somewhere on the web you should be able to find either weekly or monthly summaries of the war. I stumbled across a couple when I was doing something for work a few months back. Inevitably I can't for the life of me find the damn things now :mad:

Latest Threads