Recommendations for new Guitar

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Tremaine, Jun 28, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Evening all, was thinking ,even at this old age of 50 , about purchasing a used Guitar. Maybe a Les Paul or at least something worthwhile. Price range around £1000 to £1500 to start with, and learn. There's reasons for the Les Paul / Gibson as it has a great tradition; some of the finest shredders, Moore, Sykes, etc . And that sound....

Seems a minefield, any Arrsers out there playing and collecting?

Many thanks

2. I'm not sure if I read your post correctly. Are you saying that you want to spend over a £1k on a guitar which you intend to learn on?
  3. Yes, that's my impression, Biscuits. I play although I'd hardly call myself a collector having 3 guitars. FWIW Tremaine, if you want a good quality guitar to learn on, go to your local Cash Converters. The chap in the Belfast one said to me they can hardly give them away. I pop in now and again to see what they've got, pedals etc. He told me that kids these days like the idea of playing guitar, get all the kit and then quickly lose interest when they see it really isn't as easy as Guitar Hero (although it's hardly difficult).

Example that I saw 3/4 weeks ago: 4 month old BC Rich ASM Pro (shaped like a strat) in piano black with BOSS 50 watt practice amp (also mint): £99,"we'd take £80"

Dunno about the amp, but the ASM Pro is about £600 sheets retail.

have a gander - it might surprise you.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. What SauceDoctor said. Save your money and have a look at the second hand market.
  5. **** me, check out the ad at the bottom of the thread...don't hang about do they. Mate, get yourself a cheap Yamaha Pacifica for less that £200. Good starter's guitar (still got mine), capable of most things and probably (alongside the second hand options) one of the best moves that you'll make. Do not for fucks sakes spend the amount you have mentioned on a hobby that you might not like, nor stick with. You can always spend that sort of dosh next year if you are still with it. Walk into any decent music shop and take your advice there. They won't take the piss, rip you off or advise that you spend a fortune. They'll want to keep your business as they know you'll come back if you take to it. Once you find a decent music shop, you tend to stay with them. They'll help you progress, and keep you right on expenditure.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Are you looking to copy the sound of the likes of Sykes and old time Moore (Lizzy days)? You'll obviously need the Amp rig to go with it, no point in having a gold guitar if you're going to use a tin amp. I use Schecter, got an old time Kramer and Jackson RR but they're just decorations, I use Schecter to practice and until I became ill, to play live. For practice I use a Hartke Piggyback 60w mini stack and live a Marshall JCM 2000 with a 4x12 Cab.

Remember if you're just starting out you don't need the top quality gear, I still wont pay more than 500 quid for a guitar although I am thinking of parting with a grand for a seven string Jeff Loomis Schecter with Floyd Rose. The Yamaha Pacifica as mentioned above is a good axe for starting out, I quite like the PRS Tremonti, 399 quid and a pretty good guitar.
  7. Suggestion: Take a mate along who can play and who knows what he's doing. Have him check out any guitar that you like the feel/look of - the "action", ie. the playability up the neck, trueness of the neck, intonation and that all the knobs and switches do what they're supposed to do.

I've seen a lot of people buy a borderline unplayable thing with 1/4 inch action at the 12th fret and then be put off for life by the discomfort involved in trying to play a plank.

8. Is this a waa? No, OK so do you want something to hang on the wall/impress your mates with/stand in front of a mirror with, or do you want to lean to play?

I don’t want to start a bun fight over learning with an electric or an acoustic, but I think you’ll find that the vast majority or accomplished (or pro if you like) guitarists all have at least one treasured acoustic which is used far more often when not on stage/studio. :wink:

I usually say to newby’s it’s like learning to drive on an automatic or a manual?

As already said, have someone who knows what a good action is inspect your possibles. Get some Les Paul if you want a Les Paul, but first or also get a nicely set-up acoustic and have it fitted with light strings – or in your case, super ultra light. And use a plain 3rd/G string.

AAFG, if you haven’t seen this before it may give you a larf? :omg:

YouTube - ‪Impossible Guitar: Concrete Block & Piezo‬‏

9. My 1st guitar was a cheap second hand Marlin Sidewinder. I used it for years until I figured I'd spend some money on a guitar that produced that sound that I wanted.
  10. Many thanks for the direct advice, slaps, and general input. Taking on board the input and will learn to play again, properly, after almost 30 years break , when a Yamaha 12 string cost me £100. Good point about cash converters and I will have a look.

Rose tinted specs to NHS glasses kind of thing, I reckon. Couldn't do justice to a decent Les Paul, okay.
  11. :)whilst i agree with the above posts on expenditure,i would also say the element of learning to play has vastly increased due to
    modern technology.wish the internet had been around a few decades back.also it's worth looking about second hand shops,and
    car boot meself a strat at barnados for fifteen notes.:)
  12. Buy an Epiphone. They are made by Gibson anyway, and just as good in my opinion, AND save £650 in the process.
    You know it makes sense !!
  13. Done that, nice jumbo bodied electro accoustic guitar with a nice tone.

I have a very similar German jumbo by Hopf, the quality and tone is very good and it cost not quite 400 sovs.
  14. Completely agree about the Yamaha Pacifica - excellent to learn on. Make sure you get the bloke in the shop to set it up properly for you - this is fairly straight forward but needs a bit of experience.

Most guitar shops are run by people who live and breath guitars and are sources of excellent info and tips.

I don't run a guitar shop btw. Just passing on many years of experience...