Recommendations for Joystick

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Hi,

My Thrustmaster Hotas X has crapped out after less than two years' light service. It has an uncontrollable drift to the right, which cannot be corrected via drivers, calibration, removal/reinstallation, different USB socket or wearing a witch's underpants on my head at midnight.

An Amazon review search tells me that this is indeed a very common thing, several people are on their 2nd/3rd/4th model.

I'm utterly pissed off with the state of peripherals these days. Back in the early 90s, I had a CH Flightstick which lasted for about five years, then an MS Sidewinder which lasted for about eight years. These expensive pieces of shite that's bought now are lasting a few months and it's made me wary of buying anything too expensive as it will just end up in a tech landfill.

Can anyone recommend a decent joystick (I'm not even bothered about seperate throttle anymore) that might last longer than a REME sergeant's NAAFI break?

Hi,

My Thrustmaster Hotas X has crapped out after less than two years' light service. It has an uncontrollable drift to the right, which cannot be corrected via drivers, calibration, removal/reinstallation, different USB socket or wearing a witch's underpants on my head at midnight.

An Amazon review search tells me that this is indeed a very common thing, several people are on their 2nd/3rd/4th model.

I'm utterly pissed off with the state of peripherals these days. Back in the early 90s, I had a CH Flightstick which lasted for about five years, then an MS Sidewinder which lasted for about eight years. These expensive pieces of shite that's bought now are lasting a few months and it's made me wary of buying anything too expensive as it will just end up in a tech landfill.

Can anyone recommend a decent joystick (I'm not even bothered about seperate throttle anymore) that might last longer than a REME sergeant's NAAFI break?

I got that beast for use on the Xbox and PC. It’s ok so far. Not one of the super expensive models either.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Thrustmaster T16000’s use the same sensors (hall effect) as Thrustmaster Warthogs.
So if you don’t want to drop shedloads on a great Hotas like a Warthog. You can atleast play with something that uses the same sensors.

Last edited:

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I've used this for, ooooh, 12+ years:

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Flight Stick for Xbox One & Windows - Works on Xbox Series X|S Amazon product

I'm guessing it's the same? It does have drift, but that's easily fixed by going into joystick settings and recalibrating every so often.

Depends what your budget is.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Thrustmaster T16000’s use the same sensors (hall effect) as Thrustmaster Warthogs.
So if you don’t want to drop shedloads on a great Hotas like a Warthog. You can atleast play with something that uses the same sensors.

Thanks, that's a great steer.

I'm trying to avoid shite sensors and it appears that Thrustmaster mainly use shite sensors except in their top of the range offerings.

I'll check that out.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer

Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas One Flight Stick for Xbox One & Windows - Works on Xbox Series X|S Amazon product

I'm guessing it's the same? It does have drift, but that's easily fixed by going into joystick settings and recalibrating every so often.

I come from an era of manual calibration with dials on the base of the joystick, so frequent calibrations aren't a major pain as long as it solves the issue.

However, I've tried recalibrating, but the sensor wanders around. Maybe I'm too old, but I spent £80 on it, which to me, is a reasonable amount of money - I wouldn't say that it was cheap shite but.......

Been working for me for yonks, but then I only use for Elite Dangerous these days

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I come from an era of manual calibration with dials on the base of the joystick, so frequent calibrations aren't a major pain as long as it solves the issue.

However, I've tried recalibrating, but the sensor wanders around. Maybe I'm too old, but I spent £80 on it, which to me, is a reasonable amount of money - I wouldn't say that it was cheap shite but.......
Ah, no, on a joy (certainly from my experience) the sensor will always move, even when the stick is still.

As long as you take it to the four corners as directed, it evens out and balances fine. Don't pay too much attention to it.

I'd calibrate, sensor would be going ******* mental, play the game and it was dead straight flying with no adverse drift.

Thanks, that's a great steer.

I'm trying to avoid shite sensors and it appears that Thrustmaster mainly use shite sensors except in their top of the range offerings.

I'll check that out.

I had a T16000 and found it to be a very good stick. However I realise that £350 seems like a hell of a lot of money for a HOTAS, but once I upgraded to a Warthog, I wish I had done it sooner. It really adds to the feel and connection with the game / sim. It is solidly made, very accurate and when used with Joystick Gremlin, far easier and more configurable than using the ropey Thrustmaster software.

If you ever need pedals, I'd recommend MFG Crosswinds. Brilliant pedals, far better than the various plastic offerings from CH & Thrustmaster.

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Ah, no, on a joy (certainly from my experience) the sensor will always move, even when the stick is still.

As long as you take it to the four corners as directed, it evens out and balances fine. Don't pay too much attention to it.

I'd calibrate, sensor would be going ******* mental, play the game and it was dead straight flying with no adverse drift.
Yeah, if the sensor was going wild in the calibration screen I wouldn't be too worried as long as it behaved ingame, but when playing games it would just roll me to the side. Elite Dangerous, DCS, doesn't matter.

Just can't get it to behave.

Bit late but IIRC the science Youtuber Scott Manly also use to do gaming videos and in the comments to a vid about Tie-Fighter he recommended the Saitek HOTAS system that's now made by Logitech.

I had a Sidewinder Precision Pro that was still in good working order when Microsoft dropped gameport drivers and unfortunately it won't work with USB. I replaced it with a T1600 which is OK after a few years although I've had to repair the twist control at least once, it's not a difficult job thankfully and you can find how-to instructions on the net.
I didn't buy the matching throttle because it felt a bit notchy but you can now get third-party bearing kits that solve the problem. In any case the throttle on the stick is good enough for most casual gaming.

Latest Threads