Recommendations for hiking backpack

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum and please move if necessary, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a half-decent cheap bergen?

Back in the day, I used to have a Berghaus Crusader, but they're a bit rich for my blood these days. I need something that I can use to replace my current day bag that I take to work, but also something that on weekends, I can go for a ramble with.

I'm looking for something:
  1. That has reasonable zips that won't fall apart
  2. Ideally 50 litres
  3. Preferably under £50.00?
It doesn't need to be super ally, but a lot of the cheaper military-style backpacks on Amazon seem to suffer from the same problem - zips breaking.

Any ideas?

I've used a 5.11 Rush24 almost daily for the past 4 years now. It's still going strong with just one of the zip tags needing replacing. Tough as old boots but may be too pricey for your budget

Apologies if this is in the wrong part of the forum and please move if necessary, but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a half-decent cheap bergen?

Back in the day, I used to have a Berghaus Crusader, but they're a bit rich for my blood these days. I need something that I can use to replace my current day bag that I take to work, but also something that on weekends, I can go for a ramble with.

I'm looking for something:
  1. That has reasonable zips that won't fall apart
  2. Ideally 50 litres
  3. Preferably under £50.00?
It doesn't need to be super ally, but a lot of the cheaper military-style backpacks on Amazon seem to suffer from the same problem - zips breaking.

Any ideas?
Montane normally make good kit, I've seen others with a similar version to this and it was good - it's only half the size you want (but still an ideal size for rambling at the weekend) at £30 you can't go wrong:

MONTANE Featherlite 23 Backpack

1557913381232.png

1557913420585.png

You could opt for the larger 30L at just over £50 - Montane Synergy 30

It's bloody cheap for a Montane bit of kit.

Edit: I might actually buy one myself on the way home.

Last edited:
Cheapo Regatta rucksacks will last around 5 years , those from Class Ohlsen a bit longer. Unless you plan staying out overnight, 50litres is too big for bimbling with, you'll only fill it with unnecessary shite and be uncomfortable after half a mile.

Last edited:
I was going to recommend a Berghaus Centurio 30l with rocket packs - mine’s been excellent and with load of different configurations it’s really adaptable- if you can stand the pisstaking you can even wear the rocket packs as a separate daysack- they come with their own yoke for this purpose.
However I see that this stuff is well over £100 now, so I’d look on auction sites for used Berghaus (Munro’s 35l if you can live with that) or Osprey stuff.
Buy cheap stuff and it’ll either fail structurally or make your life a misery with gash ergonomics.

Mountain Warehouse(MW) or Trespass, both do good kit and not paying for a brand.
I have a 30ltr day rucksack from MW and has lasted 5 years & been run over by a MAN truck & still fine.
Think it was about £25 when bought, well made and lasted longer than a branded name.

Mountain Warehouse(MW) or Trespass, both do good kit and not paying for a brand.
I have a 30ltr day rucksack from MW and has lasted 5 years & been run over by a MAN truck & still fine.
Think it was about £25 when bought, well made and lasted longer than a branded name.
I bought a couple of Mountain Warehouse fleeces on which the stitching was unravelling within a couple of weeks. I’d not trust their gear for anything longer than a weekend.

Dutch daysacks appear on endicotts/ kit monster for your budget

If you look at Lowe alpine,they are light enough with whistles part of the sternum strap.

Go outdoors is just as good for price match discounts

Lowe Alpine Peak Ascent 42 is £63 from Cotswold Outdoor at the minute.

Big enough for an overnighter, or crank down the compression straps for a day hike. Pretty tough. Nicely padded straps, a decent waistbelt and padded back. Not heavy either, but there are lighter, smaller options if you'll only ever be out for a day.

I've been abusing a Deuter Guide bag for a few seasons. Well made, no weak zips or silly pouches and comfy. It was under a hundred quid in a sale.

The side access zip is great for quickly finding stuff.

I got an Osprey from TKMaxx, Decathlon do some cheap ok ones, or go on tacebook and join outdoor gear exchange. Only one I've splashed out on is a Lowe Alpine as that's for whole days/weekend walks. It all depends on what you want it for....go in a shop with gear load up and try it on

Latest Threads