Recommendations for car shampoo and polish?

I've decided I'm going to stop being idle and clean my own car, so recommendations greatfuly received..

Daxx

MIA
Book Reviewer
Pay someone else to do it.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Another vote for Autoglym.

Turtle Wax is also pretty good, I prefer the paste to the spray.
There is a very expensive "graphene" one but I've not tried that due to cost.

MER.
Superb stuff
71XnxSIKyAL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

If you have never clay barred the paint, it will need it.
1624219043198.png

Even on brand new zero miles delivered cars, the paint is full of grits, micro iron filings, and pollutants.
After SnowFoam or at least a "2 bucket" method wash...without sponges.
Polishing is "the art" of removing a micro layer or dead paint or lacquer...very carefully.
What it does do is expose the paint to pollution & damage unless the restored surface is sealed.
Depends on how your budget (or interest) stretches.
My favourite is Poorboys Carnuba but there are hundreds of "favourites".

This is 27 years old original paint.

Fr SpodoKomodo

Old-Salt
My brother used to run a car detailing business for beer tokens.

Reliable brands who sell in the UK:

Autoglym, Autofinesse, Bilt Hamber, Meguiars, Carpro, Gyeon, Gtechniq, Chemical Guys, Poorboys, Zymol, Sonax, Menzerma, Dodo Juice, Optimum

Any sort of shampoo and wax polish product from those brands is going to be bob on. No sticky cheapo crap like you'd find in the own brand stuff at a petrol station or the vehicle section in Tesco.

How much do you care about the car?

Are you bothered about swirl marks like in the picture below? Easily caused by improper washing technique e.g. a ratty sponge in a bucket full of gritty dirty water.

1624217987042.png

If so and you'd rather keep the new Mercedes as mentioned above pristine, I'll write out a very quick rough guide and post some youtube videos about some useful products to have and the basics to know. Car detailing is a rabbit hole capable of becoming a money pit if you're inexperienced but a satisfying one when your motor comes up looking phenomenal, as in picture 2 which is where a car has had a paint correction with an electric polisher following a proper cleaning and decontamination process, including with a clay bar as @Ecosse mentions. I would caution you about rushing into claying though without first ensuring you know what you're doing.

1624218727610.png

If you have never clay barred the paint, it will need it.
View attachment 583161
Even on brand new zero miles delivered cars, the paint is full of grits, micro iron filings, and pollutants.
After SnowFoam or at least a "2 bucket" method wash...without sponges.
Polishing is "the art" of removing a micro layer or dead paint or lacquer...very carefully.
What it does do is expose the paint to pollution & damage unless the restored surface is sealed.
Depends on how your budget (or interest) stretches.
My favourite is Poorboys Carnuba but there are hundreds of "favourites".

This is 27 years old original paint.

Driven locally to old dears needing a blue rinse.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
poundland washing liquid

(I don't use it myself I have a team of Eastern Europeans to clean our cars)

Excellent advice and knowledge above, but lets face it, B_B is going to be like most of us. He’ll do it once, to a high level of detail, then next time think, ‘fück this’ and take it down the Polish car wash.

I washed mine, Mrs D's and the younger offspring's cars this afternoon. Hose only as I couldn't be ARRSEd plumbing in the jet wash. bucket, sponge and Halfords finest gallon container of wash/wax. Quick once over with all chamois and a three looked pretty good. Mine is dark blue, SWMBO has silver and sprog has a white one.

KnightsofRowallan

LE
Book Reviewer
I've used and tried just about everything it seems, AutoGlym, PoorBoys, Turtlewax, Meguiars, G3, Zymol, Simoniz, etc etc.
If you want to keep it simple then you can't go too far wrong with Autoglym, Halfords often have it all on 3 for 2.
For ultimate ease, using a pressure washer Polar series powerwash series is quick easy and gives decent results.

The tactic is do the one deep clean then its quick and easy to keep it up.
also DO NOT USE WASHING UP LIQUID!

So here's a pretty foolproof and fairly low cost guide for decent results.

The DEEP clean - couple of times a year

If you want to put in a bit more effort and get really good results then the key is prepping the paint.
Start with a good wash, AutoGlym shampoo is good, as is Poorboys super slick.
If it needs it, clay the car. Clay bars can be a bit tricky so the easiest way is using a G3 Pro deep clay mit. You can do this while the car is soaped up or use it with a detailing spray afterward. Leaves the paint smooth as glass.

OR use AutoGlym Magma, easy to use, removes quite a bit of contaminants from the paint. good on alloys too.

G3 Scratch removal paste next to remove any scratches.
I'll then polish the paint using G3 Paint renovator or Meguiars Deep Crystal, I have a power polisher to do this; just takes longer by hand. take your time, don't go too hard at it.
I also sometimes then use AutoGlym HD Polish but it can be a bit of a pain in the arse.
I might then use Poorboys black hole/white diamond depending on how the paint looks.

For wax, Poorboys Natty Paste is excellent. A good balance of ease to put on and easy to remove and lasts 6-8 weeks on its own. There's no dust and it doesn't matter if you get on plastic trim. Smells great too.
Then I use AutoGlym Extra Gloss Protectant. This lasts 4 to 6 months, depending on weather.
You car now looks better than brand new!

The ROUTINE clean

With all that done cleaning the car is now a 30ish min job. Wash with Turtle Wax ZipWax then whilst wet, spray it with Autogylm AquaWax or Meguirs QuikWax as you dry the car. job done, low effort, car looks great.
Over winter I might use the Autoglym polar stuff.

Wheels

I use either Autoglym custom wheel cleaner (as its not too aggressive/acidic) or Simoniz alloy wheel cleaner.
Poorboys Wheel sealant (a bit of a faff) or Autogylm wheel protector (expensive).
Finish with Meguiars endurance tyre gloss.

As a general rule if you care about your paint work DO NOT USE MECHANICAL CAR WASHES.
And be very wary of "handwashes", they use a lot of TFR which strips any waxes, sealants etc you've put on, plus you'll nearly always get swirl marks thanks to them using washmitts they've using on 100+ cars a day!

Now you might think this is all a waste of time, but when you come to sell it, there is often a dividend to this effort.

Needless to say when I drop my car off for servicing I often ask them NOT to wash it.
I'm now looking into these "lifetime" ceramic coatings.

Last edited: