Recommendations for a end-of-hunt quaff

windswept398

War Hero
I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum. Mods, please move to appropriate forum.

I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Stroh Jagertee for a few months now based on a few recommendations here and elsewhere. Nobody here in Aus has stock at the moment and no-one can get it any time soon (I'm not sure if it is because of COVID shipping problems or if it has stopped being manufactured altogether. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know). I'm a bit peeved as I was hoping to get it in time for a hunting trip that I have coming up in a few months.

I'm looking for recommendations for warm alcohol drinks for the end of a days hunting when we're sitting around the camp-fire spinning a few yarns and generally bezzering.

If anyone wants to post their favourite recipes with alcohol that is currently on the market, it'll be gladly received.

Thanks in advance.
Whisky.

Don’t know if this helps or shipping is to Aus. Never tasted or heard of it before so your thoughts on it or recommendation would be of interest.
It better be the best bloody drink in the world!

Despite my last rant about the supplier telling me it is being shipped back to them after spending a week and a half in the shipping companies storage facility, the courier has finally contacted me. Turns out it was stuck there due to owing import tax.

Now this one bottle has cost me three times the amount it would have if I had bought it in Aus (had anyone here actually had stock of it)

Two parts Stroh rum, one part port, one part strong infusion of tea, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom with honey.

Infusion can be made by boiling a load of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves in water with honey, bunging in a couple of big spoons of loose leaf tea at the end, off the heat and allowing to cool. Remove the bits by filtering or a fine tea strainer once cool.

Bottle the mix or carry in a flask and when needed fill a mug with it to about a third, squeeze of lemon juice and top up with boiling water.
I'm going to take a crack at this recipe on the weekend. How much cinnamon, ginger, cardamon and cloves would you recommend?

For a litre of the tea, two teaspoons each of ground cinnamon, ground ginger, three or four cardamom pods crushed to get at the seeds and three or four cloves. Half cup of honey or just three or four dessert spoons of sugar and a dessert spoon of loose leaf tea. Needs to be quite concentrated so it can be watered down with booze and hot water and still provide flavour.

Best is to play about with it until you get a feel for things and do it by ear. Tweak the flavours to suit yourself.

ETA: I carry a mix of rum and port in a hip flask. Squeeze of lemon in a mug, sugar, splash of the booze and top up with hot water for a very nice toddy.

I don’t drink anymore but when I did, I certainly appreciated a good hit of bullshot (careful with the auto correct) during breaks on driven game shoots.

There are a ton of recipes out there and heated debate about what goes in it.

In its most simple form it’s Bovril with some vodka or Sherry in it, with a bit of Tabasco to add a kick.

Other recipes call for beef consome, tomato and various other bits and pieces.

It’s all good to be honest.
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, turns out Bovril is illegal to ship to Aus due to the possibility of Mad Cow disease.

The closest we have here is Bonox, which used to be the same as Bovril until it got sold to Kraft in America, who turned it into a liquid but still have to gall to call it a paste.

I might have to look at making a Bloody Sheila with it

If anyone wants to chime in with hot alcoholic drink recipes or even just drinks for keeping in a hip flask for when I'm out in in the bush late at night, I'm still collecting them.

Last edited:
Sorry about resurrecting an old thread, turns out Bovril is illegal to ship to Aus due to the possibility of Mad Cow disease.

The closest we have here is Bonox, which used to be the same as Bovril until it got sold to Kraft in America, who turned it into a liquid but still have to gall to call it a paste.

If anyone wants to chime in with hot alcoholic drink recipes or even just drinks for keeping in a hip flask for when I'm out in in the bush late at night, I'm still collecting them.
According to Wiki, Kraft Australia bought Bonox in 1935. Kraft owned all sorts of “Australian” brands for much of the 20th Century, including Vegemite and Coon. Any modern changes are due to it being flogged off to Bega ten years ago.

Easy enough to make your own beef extract. A Vietnamese mate of mine makes gallons of the stuff.

For hip flasks, try a 10/1 mix of Bushmills and Drambuie. The liqueur takes the edge off the whizzo and makes it pleasant to swig from the flask on cold nights. Also goes well in a cup of Earl Grey.

Not really a swigger myself, but mates appreciate it when handed round. I keep it in my man bag mainly for spiking Earl Grey or any other brew.

Sloe gin is popular here , ideal on a cold day but I`d guess it doesnt get too cold where you are ?

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Is the powdered stuff allowed?

It’s not a patch on the real thing but it’ll just about pass muster.

Downsides of living in a third world country.

I know a man who makes a good tincture of cannabis. Quite palatable. The alcohol is about 85% proof and has a strawberry note. Add in the earthy taste of weed and you’ve got tour perfect nip!

I think Rusty Nail is a 1/1 mix. This just takes the edge off the whizzo.

Just wondering, are there any dead roos, pigs, crocodiles, camels or drop bears yet?
After the bushfires and the floods, yeah there's plenty of dead things around.

If you're asking if I've shot anything other than a piece of paper recently, no. I'm not going till next month (earliest I could get in).

A funny side note, the office sparky called me up yesterday and said he had some stuff for me. Went and had a look, he was throwing out two old Christmas decorations and thought I could use them for target practice.

Between my .223, 12 gauge and my brothers compound bow, I reckon we'll have some fun with these.

reindeerdecorations.jpg

Latest Threads