Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Recommendations for a end-of-hunt quaff

I can imagine the shite you’ll get from an occer for serving warm beer!
Thankfully I'm not shooting with any ockers. We've already weeded the dangerous ones out from our shooting trips due to concerns about their firearms handling and competency (we have 'getting pissed and handling firearms' down as a big no-no, but other things like shooting from behind and over the heads of your shooting buddies without warning was enough to get one young trigger happy ********'s arse kicked).

The ones in my remaining group tend to be a bit more sophisticated with their alcohol consumption. They'll probably jump at the chance of having some mulled ale or other warm drink.

Last edited:
You can do a gluhwein or mulled ale in advance, bottle in empty two litre Coke bottles and chuck in a pot on the fire as needed. Good slug of rum in the pot before serving. Don't let it boil at any point.

Spice mix is cloves, cinnamon, ginger. Chuck in brown sugar or honey (might be an issue for anyone allergic to bee stings), squeeze of lemon, squeeze of orange juice and lob the lemon and orange husks in the ale/wine as it heats to capture the aromatic oils in the skin. Strain, cool and bottle. Remember the bottle of rum to spike it before serving.

Use red wine or a dark ale/stout/porter as the base.

Mattb

LE
What’s wrong with just adding some whisky or whiskey to a coffee?

Try brandy and Benedictine in equal proportions. They counterbalance each other brilliantly.

Warming enough on its own but you can add an equal amount of hot water for a toddy styleee drink.

Adding water also has the benefit of keeping you conscious for longer.

I spent a weekend with a group of a dozen of us ranging from LCpl to WO2 (all Int Corps - from 2 Sqn 13 Sig Regt) with the German Jaeger reserves. We used an old Canadian missile base and trained in entry methods and FIBUA. Great fun had by all, ending at about 1800 on Saturday after the final assault with ham hocks, mash, saurkraut and lashings of 'Fusileertee' Hot red wine with extra brandy and herbs. I was told the exact recipe is a closely guarded secret. We certainly slept well that night!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have to vent my spleen.

I found a place in Europe that ships Jagertee to Aus. Ordered a bottle (twice the price than what it costs in Aus if it was available here) and waited patiently on its arrival.

It's been sitting in a Sydney warehouse for the last week and a half now, today I get a message saying that it is being shipped back to the supplier for no reason!

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but I have to vent my spleen.

I found a place in Europe that ships Jagertee to Aus. Ordered a bottle (twice the price than what it costs in Aus if it was available here) and waited patiently on its arrival.

It's been sitting in a Sydney warehouse for the last week and a half now, today I get a message saying that it is being shipped back to the supplier for no reason!
Probably lack of customs clearance. It’s not uncommon.

Or one Customs bloke said to another Customs bloke "Good stuff that. You should try it".
Private import in Australia can be an absolute pain in the arrse. If your goods sail through customs, it’s easy. But if they’re picked up, the paperwork and costs are crazy. And if you don’t respond quickly, your goods will be sent back. Or destroyed (which may, or may not, be a euphemism consumed by customs)

And if you don’t respond quickly, your goods will be sent back. Or destroyed (which may, or may not, be a euphemism consumed by customs)
Apparently, the worthless bastards at the quarantine facility have been trying to contact me. Despite having my address, landline number, mobile number and email address, I haven't heard a peep from them.

Apparently, the worthless bastards at the quarantine facility have been trying to contact me. Despite having my address, landline number, mobile number and email address, I haven't heard a peep from them.
Happened to me. I left my ocean sailing gear in the UK after the 2019 Fastnet as I didn’t expect to need it here before returning back last year. Covid interfered.

My brother sent it to me so that I could do the Hobart. Customs held it and sent it back, result being my gear has now done a circumnavigation without me!! I’d have been severely pissed if I’d frozen by way down south.

Tyk

LE
@Ravers mentioned it, but a classic warmer and relaxer is Bovril and sherry, possibly with some zap like Tabasco added. Try other booze like rum if you prefer, many ways to skin that cat.

Sounds like Saffer customs. You have to track your shipment then contact them when it lands or they do nothing and threaten to return to sender, all the while claiming inability to contact you.

Go the rum/port/lemon juice/infusion of cloves, cinnamon and ginger route. It's way less stressful.

I don’t think @scoldog will be skinning cats.
I normally shoot them, if possible, or at least throw rocks at the bastards.

On a side note, the property I'll be shooting on for years has had a feral cat on it that has almost became the stuff of legends. The farmer has told me that everyone there has seen it, but no-one has been able to shoot the thing. It's been evading me for about 10 years now, but on the last trip to the property my shooting buddies son supposedly got a round into it. It did a runner before he could verify the shot though, but it hasn't been seen since so he must have killed it.

Last edited:
Sounds like Saffer customs. You have to track your shipment then contact them when it lands or they do nothing and threaten to return to sender, all the while claiming inability to contact you.

Go the rum/port/lemon juice/infusion of cloves, cinnamon and ginger route. It's way less stressful.
Sounds like it. Any good recipies? (preferably easy ones that can be made with simple ingredients and the most basic equipment in a shearers shed with no power or electricity?)

Latest Threads