Recommendations for a end-of-hunt quaff

I apologise in advance if this is the wrong forum. Mods, please move to appropriate forum.

I've been trying to get my hands on a bottle of Stroh Jagertee for a few months now based on a few recommendations here and elsewhere. Nobody here in Aus has stock at the moment and no-one can get it any time soon (I'm not sure if it is because of COVID shipping problems or if it has stopped being manufactured altogether. If anyone knows for sure, please let me know). I'm a bit peeved as I was hoping to get it in time for a hunting trip that I have coming up in a few months.

I'm looking for recommendations for warm alcohol drinks for the end of a days hunting when we're sitting around the camp-fire spinning a few yarns and generally bezzering.

If anyone wants to post their favourite recipes with alcohol that is currently on the market, it'll be gladly received.

Thanks in advance.

Don’t know if this helps or shipping is to Aus. Never tasted or heard of it before so your thoughts on it or recommendation would be of interest.
Thanks, but they don't ship anywhere outside Europe.

RTU'd

War Hero
Have you thought of group sex and post it on arrse for all to see?
Other wise you are not real hunters?
1611744553654.png

Dranbuie is your type of drink.

Two parts Stroh rum, one part port, one part strong infusion of tea, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom with honey.

Infusion can be made by boiling a load of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves in water with honey, bunging in a couple of big spoons of loose leaf tea at the end, off the heat and allowing to cool. Remove the bits by filtering or a fine tea strainer once cool.

Bottle the mix or carry in a flask and when needed fill a mug with it to about a third, squeeze of lemon juice and top up with boiling water.

Two parts Stroh rum, one part port, one part strong infusion of tea, cinnamon, ginger, cloves and cardamom with honey.

Infusion can be made by boiling a load of cinnamon, ginger, cardamom and cloves in water with honey, bunging in a couple of big spoons of loose leaf tea at the end, off the heat and allowing to cool. Remove the bits by filtering or a fine tea strainer once cool.

Bottle the mix or carry in a flask and when needed fill a mug with it to about a third, squeeze of lemon juice and top up with boiling water.
Is that the Stroh 80? I've got a bottle of that. Any particular port?

Thanks,

You're going to be chucking hot water over it so any port will do. It's mainly there for richness. Stroh 80 if you like more alcohol, but 60 is fine. You can use any aromatic dark rum to be honest, but I like the flavour of Stroh in mulled drinks and toddies.

Southern Comfort, Vodka, Red Wine and maybe some spices, heat in a pan, chavvy as fook but I bet they haven’t had it before!

(Or again)

Betsy Ross. The full recipe is 50/50 Port and Brandy, a small shot of Orange Curacao and a dash of Angostora Bitters.

If we couldn’t get the Orange Curacao we had without. In a bar served chilled, out in the boonies as it came from the flask.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I don’t drink anymore but when I did, I certainly appreciated a good hit of bullshot (careful with the auto correct) during breaks on driven game shoots.

There are a ton of recipes out there and heated debate about what goes in it.

In its most simple form it’s Bovril with some vodka or Sherry in it, with a bit of Tabasco to add a kick.

Other recipes call for beef consome, tomato and various other bits and pieces.

It’s all good to be honest.

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Am I alone in having read 'end of hunt queef'? which I assume is an issue for horsey girls after a few hours in the saddle..

@scoldog if your hunting mates are Aussies, introduce them to the delights of warm beer. Serve them a Dogs Nose each.

A glass of warmed porter, gin, sugar and nutmeg.
I'll look into that, thanks.

We're planning on heading out in March/April which is our Autumn. It can get cold in the place where we are going to the point where it can get snow.

Myself and everyone else going have been off the beer for a while, but we do enjoy our spirits. My mate who taught me to shoot brews his own whisky even now and then. It's a nice drop to have when spending time around the campfire at the end of the day.

Last edited:
I'll look into that, thanks.

We're planning on heading out in March/April which is our Autumn. It can get cold in the place where we are going to the point where it can get snow.

Myself and everyone else going have been off the beer for a while, but we do enjoy our spirits. My mate who taught me to shoot brews his own whisky even now and then. It's a nice drop to have when spending time around the campfire at the end of the day.
I can imagine the shite you’ll get from an ocker for serving warm beer!

Last edited: