Recommendations for a decent dash cam?

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Given the number of d!ckheads on the road lately and changes to the highway code, I'm planning to fit a dashcam to the Volvo, preferably easy enough to be transferred to the MX5 when necessary.

I usually do 20k miles per year all over the country and since lockdown I've noticed that the standard of driving has fallen massively.

I'm therefore in the market for a decent dashcam which can be transferred between the two motors without costing an arm and a leg.

Recommendations please.

Same here - probably need front & rear facing now to make sure things are covered.

The new laws simply don't make any sense to me - just seem to invite accidents & conflict.

anglo

LE
Given the number of d!ckheads on the road lately and changes to the highway code, I'm planning to fit a dashcam to the Volvo, preferably easy enough to be transferred to the MX5 when necessary.

I usually do 20k miles per year all over the country and since lockdown I've noticed that the standard of driving has fallen massively.

I'm therefore in the market for a decent dashcam which can be transferred between the two motors without costing an arm and a leg.

Recommendations please.
Fit front and rear dashcams to both cars and leave in place, dashcams are cheap as chips now,
I paid £15 for my last one, it as everything on it, except GPS, and picture quality is excellent.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Got a couple off Amazon for about 35 quid a piece (not including memory cards). Seem to be adequate.

Hmmmmm - I can't see my own link!

Ritch

LE
Whatever you buy, don't get a flaming Nextbase.

I had one fitted from Halfords a couple of months ago. It was the latest model and cost me a couple of hundred IIRC. It was wired into the fusebox and had front and back capability. The mobile app you can download is mega shît - plenty of reviews agree with me.

I had a smash yesterday - I was hit by a van that carries window frames on a metal frame fixed to it's exterior. The car will be written off but the dash cam failed to record and save the file at the point of impact. I'd really suggest you buy something else.

20220124_142330.jpg

I have a cheapy front only Orskey as I recall 30 quid from amazon, other than a couple of niggles it's a good cam. Setting up was difficult as the instructions are rubbish, the max loop recording is 5 minutes I would have liked a bit more maybe upto 15. If you are going to be swapping a cam between motors then I guess you will need and extra wiring kit.

First,thanks to RBMK for starting this,its something that goes in and out of my spends list often.
Has any one got any comments/history with the ones you can just mount and not move dash and facia to "hard wire?"

First,thanks to RBMK for starting this,its something that goes in and out of my spends list often.
Has any one got any comments/history with the ones you can just mount and not move dash and facia to "hard wire?"
The Orskey I have comes with a tidy suction mount and I have it up next to the rear view mirror. The wiring kit was plenty long to enable running it along the top of the windscreen and then down the side tucked just under the edges of the interior trim(s), then across to the centre console tucking the wire out of sight just under the dash board (little bits of blue tac help) then down to the ciggy lighter where it plugs in.

@Ritch ouch - sorry to hear that - bummer.

I just ordered this - Amazon product

Similar for less on a deal right now - basically it costs about £1 more for this version with the rear-cam than the stand alone front only version.

1643132063441.png

Amazon product

I've used Orskey before - decent quality and the suction mounting is easily moved between vehicles.

preferably easy enough to be transferred to the MX5 when necessary.

Are you concerned someone may cut you up on your way to do a blue rinse?

Had a Viofo A119 for a few years now. It's forward facing only but due to its wedge shape, it tucks up nicely between the windscreen and the rearview mirror. Every couple of months it gives a bleep to remind you to re-format the SD card. Other than that, it's proved it's worth.

Have suggested to the kids that they get dashcams for their cars in view of the changes to the Lycra Louts Charter Highway Code.

I've got the Nextbase and think it's the mutt's! Only forward looking, but VERY easy to use and set up, lots of wire that can be pushed into the head-lining etc. Put the biggest card in there - gives a much longer recording loop.

Cable management on dashboards.

My car dash and surface to the windscreen seems to be made of some material that nothing, and i mean nothing will stick to.

I have tried all sorts of cable clips, double sided tape, super glue, everything i can think of and nothing will stick to it.

Ironically, if i spill a drop of tea or some other drink on it, a sticky mess that is extremely difficult to clean up but if it's an adhesive that I want on there, it just comes right off.

Any recommendations for cable management where it cannot be hidden using something that actually sticks?

My car dash and surface to the windscreen seems to be made of some material that nothing, and i mean nothing will stick to.

I have tried all sorts of cable clips, double sided tape, super glue, everything i can think of and nothing will stick to it.

Ironically, if i spill a drop of tea or some other drink on it, a sticky mess that is extremely difficult to clean up but if it's an adhesive that I want on there, it just comes right off.

Any recommendations for cable management where it cannot be hidden using something that actually sticks?

These work on glass and the plastic trim in our cars (Audi and VW):

Amazon product

964ST

LE

What type of car is it?

It is usually possible on modern cars to run cables under the head lining and down behind the a-pillar (without the requirement of having to remove them). The dash cabeling would ideally follow the outside edge and travelling under the dash to the scource, without being visible. (airbags and if you have a knee bag system (merc) then that would have to be taken into consideration!)

japseyewarrior

War Hero
What type of car is it?

It is usually possible on modern cars to run cables under the head lining and down behind the a-pillar (without the requirement of having to remove them). The dash cabeling would ideally follow the outside edge and travelling under the dash to the scource, without being visible. (airbags and if you have a knee bag system (merc) then that would have to be taken into consideration!)
As above.

Get a trim tool from Amazon (or a push bike tyre lever) and it's a doddle.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Going to head down to the local Halfrauds to have a look at some in the flesh.

Was thinking of having one professionally fitted, and rang up a local company -- £150 plus the camera cost.

Volvo XC40, evidently is a bugger to install the wiring neatly.