Recommendations for a compact camera

My one piece of advice would be to go into a real shop that carries a decent range and handle a few cameras. What feels right in my hands might not be good for you. Take a bit of time, try working through the basic controls. At the end of the day, the best pictures come from looking carefully and being able to get the camera to do what you want before the moment has passed. The great thing about digital photography is you can see the result and have another go if the settings need tweaking. But the feel of the thing is more important than how many megapixels or modes the thing has.

I am looking for a compact camera to stow in my pocket when out walking on the hills. My phone camera is limited and use a lot of battery

Any recommendations

Could stretch to a sub 1k Leica, but photographs are only as good as the person that takes them, an expensive camera does not make you a good photographer.

Ideally looking at a sub £500

Archie
if you want a sub 1k Leica look at Panasonic's Lumix range as sub 1k Leica's are actually Pannies with a red label frock on.

Cannon Powershot S90 or S95. It's spot on; image quality is class. It shoots in RAW which means you can do a lot with the image files in post processing software (such as lightroom). Wait, I'll dig a couple of pics out and show you...

It's tough too; I rag it all over the place on long runs. I just stick it in a plastic sandwich bag to keep it dry.

Highly recommended.
Excellent cameras with surprising capability. A matte effect screen protector helps in bright light.
How does yours cope with freezing conditions, wind chill etc? Mine (a slightly later model) takes a huff and powers down.

Excellent cameras with surprising capability. A matte effect screen protector helps in bright light.
How does yours cope with freezing conditions, wind chill etc? Mine (a slightly later model) takes a huff and powers down.
It's never given me problems in the cold; as you can see from the pics, I've had it out in the snow and in the Brecon Beacons in winter.

Battery life is great too.

It's fast at the wide end (f/2) and it has excellent image stabilisation; so great for low light images too.

I am looking for a compact camera to stow in my pocket when out walking on the hills. My phone camera is limited and use a lot of battery

Any recommendations

Could stretch to a sub 1k Leica, but photographs are only as good as the person that takes them, an expensive camera does not make you a good photographer.

Ideally looking at a sub £500

Archie[/QUOTE
If size is a major consideration look at any of the Sony RX100 series. The original RX100 and the second version (35mm-100mm zoom equivalence in full frame 35mm terms) are still available in many venues and are dirt cheap considering they're 1" sensor full featured cameras. The later ones are considerably pricier, and except for the latest iteration (which is VERY expensive) offer less long focal length capability. I bought an original for basically the same reason as you, on sale, and have been delighted with it. Basically all the focal lengths I used to carry with me for the Leica M4 that was my "travel light" kit in something that fits in a shirt pocket. They're a bit fiddly if you have big hands, but nothing dramatic once you get used to the controls.

Two suggestions: if you go for an RX100, spend a little coin and buy the little stick-on handgrip...it makes a world of difference to the camera's handling. And for anything truly pocketable, invest in a cheap soft cloth sleeve such as those available from sunglass suppliers, or failing that a plastic sandwich bag: perspiration, getting caught in the rain, and dust can be a problem with many small digitals.

Fuji X range for me: I've had Canons, Nikons, Rollei and Robot wet-film cameras, as digital emerged I played with a few and a few years ago settled upon Fuji XP compacts, just buy in one spare battery and you're good for ten days use. I don't even take the charger abroad on holiday now. Genuinely waterproof and dustproof, and been dropped a couple of times, I discovered it didn't need even the padded case I bought for it. It's with me all the time as a pocket camera, used as a notebook on electronic circuits and engines, brilliant macro, OK underwater pix, and if it gets greasy I rub Fairy liquid on it and wash it under the tap. Unbelieveable, compared to the TLC needed on conventional cameras. Caused myself a problem, used the wrong charger lead but excellent after-sales by Fuji, I suspect they just swapped like for like.

I second the Olympus Tough range if they are still as sturdy. I have had one (possibly a Stylus Tough 8000) for the last 10 years and it has been everywhere with me, in webbing/covies/up mountains/underwater and been used by the kids as a toy being thrown round the house and still works great despite a few dings, scratches and dents.
It spent 4 days clipped to my harness in Italy being knocked about and never complained.
P6231451.JPG

Panasonic LX100 or Lx100 ii

17MP MFT MOS Sensor
- DCI 4K Recording at 24.00 fps & 100 Mbps
- 4K Video Recording
- Leica DC Vario-Summilux f/1.7-2.8 Lens
- 24-75mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 2760k-dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3" 1240k-dot TFT LCD Touchscreen
- Built-In Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Connectivity
- Extended ISO 100-25600
- Lens & Body-Mounted Exposure Controls
- Includes Hot Shoe Flash

Saw a TZ 95 yesterday in a camera shop, looks ok with good zoom and a swivel and tilt back screen

Archie

Panasonic LX100 or Lx100 ii

17MP MFT MOS Sensor
- DCI 4K Recording at 24.00 fps & 100 Mbps
- 4K Video Recording
- Leica DC Vario-Summilux f/1.7-2.8 Lens
- 24-75mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 2760k-dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3" 1240k-dot TFT LCD Touchscreen
- Built-In Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Connectivity
- Extended ISO 100-25600
- Lens & Body-Mounted Exposure Controls
- Includes Hot Shoe Flash
Excellent camera - used at Chicksands for, err, training. Excellent lens, and the advantage of both viewfinder and screen means that you can use it easily in bright light conditions, when the screen is otherwise saturated.