Recommendations for a compact camera

I am looking for a compact camera to stow in my pocket when out walking on the hills. My phone camera is limited and use a lot of battery

Any recommendations

Could stretch to a sub 1k Leica, but photographs are only as good as the person that takes them, an expensive camera does not make you a good photographer.

Ideally looking at a sub £500

Archie

Panasonic LX100 or Lx100 ii

17MP MFT MOS Sensor
- DCI 4K Recording at 24.00 fps & 100 Mbps
- 4K Video Recording
- Leica DC Vario-Summilux f/1.7-2.8 Lens
- 24-75mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 2760k-dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3" 1240k-dot TFT LCD Touchscreen
- Built-In Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Connectivity
- Extended ISO 100-25600
- Lens & Body-Mounted Exposure Controls
- Includes Hot Shoe Flash

0lympus Stylus Tough TG-5

This one without a doubt, waterproof to 15 m, drop proof to 2.1 m dust proof crush proof 100kg . I've had the earlier model for years, it's been scuba diving, up mountains, into hot sandy places and still works perfectly
1561053008105.png

Last edited:

chimera

LE
Panasonic LX100 or Lx100 ii

17MP MFT MOS Sensor
- DCI 4K Recording at 24.00 fps & 100 Mbps
- 4K Video Recording
- Leica DC Vario-Summilux f/1.7-2.8 Lens
- 24-75mm (35mm Equivalent)
- 2760k-dot Electronic Viewfinder
- 3" 1240k-dot TFT LCD Touchscreen
- Built-In Wi-Fi & Bluetooth Connectivity
- Extended ISO 100-25600
- Lens & Body-Mounted Exposure Controls
- Includes Hot Shoe Flash
Gets my vote as well. Excellent piece of kit. If you are taking it hill walking, then invest in a hard case (easily available on EBay).

Gets my vote as well. Excellent piece of kit. If you are taking it hill walking, then invest in a hard case (easily available on EBay).
I have one. Wife has a Sony. Panasonic wins because of many things but mostly viewfinder. You can't see a back screen in sunlight!

Last edited:
I am looking for a compact camera to stow in my pocket when out walking on the hills. My phone camera is limited and use a lot of battery

Any recommendations

Could stretch to a sub 1k Leica, but photographs are only as good as the person that takes them, an expensive camera does not make you a good photographer.

Archie
Some great suggestions so far eg @tutankhamun Olympus Tough TG5 as an all weather camera, it's almost guaranteed to work in most conditions. I wasn't aware of how good this latest version is: Olympus TOUGH TG5 review - Cameralabs
@Kinch LX100 - Excellent camera. Nice bright lens and big sensor. Very good viewfinder. Lens does not collapse in to body and sticks out. Keep dust off it.
@lokiuk Fuji X100 and similar are very well regarded, again with a traditional camera interface.

Small shirt pocket cameras tend to shut down at the first hint of wind chill in winter so become limited to indoor use. Jacket pocket cameras (and DSLRs) seem to be better in that respect.

Whatever you decide on, buy two spare batteries and a separate USB charger and a mini tripod for the pocket or rucksack.

But the right camera can make all the difference, just received a beat up old full frame DSLR today, and the detail I can extract (not always a good thing, like photographing women they really don't want to see every imperfection on their body whatever they say) and low light ability is noticeable and just what I need to improve my nightclub photography

But then sometimes it not about a better photo, as being able to save yourself processing time later if you're taking a lot of photos

Another vote for Sony a6000 had mine for four years now and never had any trouble with it. The a6000 has been superseded by the a6300 and the a6500 but the a6000 is still a cracking camera easily portable and the option to interchange e mount lenes

Only other thing that will do the job admirably is the Ricoh GR II for around 500 quid. I had almost forgotten about this little gem - I had the GR I and could print to A2 Magnesium body you can stuff into any pocket - brilliant piece of kit.

My first pocket digitals were Canons, bless 'em.
Since then I have had 2 Nikon pocket cameras.
Both Nikons had issues with dust getting in the lens (results in dark spots that can spoil your photos). This was probably due to me carrying them everywhere, often in my pocket. The manufacturers guarantee didn't cover replacing the lens, which the Nikon repairers said was necessary in order to eliminate the dark spots. My next pocket camera will have to be dust-proof.
One of my Nikons had a very powerful zoom lens and no manual control of focus- utter shoite, although I was sometimes able to get good pics.
I am convinced pocket cameras that can be carried at all times are the way to go for the non professional non hobbyist since a camera is only of value if it's actually with you for taking pics.

I like the Panasonic DMC FZ bridge cameras, I have a DSLR and a Pany FZ35 but I use the Pany a lot more, it's pictures are punchy, it is lighter and its built-in zoom very useful.

Another vote for the Olympus TG5. Mines been to the Artic Circle, swimming and climbing waterfalls. Good as a point and shoot or more user controls if you want it. I believe it has a large ccd, rather than something from a camera phone, but a reduced pixel count to reduce noise. It can also shoot RAW if you want. It also has a nice fast F2.0 lens.

RP.

Any recommendations

Archie
Cannon Powershot S90 or S95. It's spot on; image quality is class. It shoots in RAW which means you can do a lot with the image files in post processing software (such as lightroom). Wait, I'll dig a couple of pics out and show you...

IMG_2724
by Whey-Aye-Banzai, on Flickr

IMG_2599

IMG_2675

IMG_2711-Pano

It's tough too; I rag it all over the place on long runs. I just stick it in a plastic sandwich bag to keep it dry.

Highly recommended.

Last edited:

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Panasonic Lumix all day. currently got a TZ (my second) and an LX7 for when I don't want to carry a DSLR all day.

little known fact - Leica rebadge quite a few Lumix models and sell them on as their own...at several multiples of the price for what is the same camera, made in the same factory.