Recommendation for Port

Discussion in 'The Lamp and Sandbag II - The Tall Story Strikes B' started by Auld-Yin, Nov 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Gentlement (and Ladies harrumph) I thought this the most appropriate forum as the years of experience that has been accumulated by our 'senior' (not senile) members should be of great help.

Christmas is but a short couple of months away and I am seeking the advice from fellow Arrsers for a nice Port to help the Christmas Lunch to slide its way down and also to raise to Aunty Betty at 3pm.

Obviously I would have to do some research and try out several prior to said event so how about some recommendations for a bottle of Port which you have found to be most palatable.

Over to Arrse.

A-Y

2. At your age formaldehyde would be the better option.

3. Auld-Yin

Vintage or non-vintage?

4. Don't laugh but for the price M and S port is worth a go.

5. Surely at your age any Port in a storm is good news, if you knows what I mean. :wink:

SK

6. Warre's Heritage is in my drinks cabinet. It's actually not too bad for a "supermarket" port. :wink:

7. 25 year old tawny port from Taylors..........expensive but delicious and warming

8. Buckfast not good enough for you this year then?

9. Auld-Yin

Nah. I'm not into that English pis h.

10. Quarles Harris 1997 Vintage - taste the difference as they say. :p

11. Southampton's not bad
    Or for deeper draft vessels
    Felixstowe

12. d'Arenberg McLaren Vale vintage fortified shiraz. It doesn't say "Port" on the label, so decant it before your guests see the bottle. Tastes like something that costs 5x the amount.

13. You can't beat a bottle of Warres Warrior. Unless you have two of them!

14. The Port from the Cadet Training Center at Frimley Park is more than adequate for the relatively small price of £10:50 per bottle

Zippy483

15. Nah go for the M and S gubbins, top darts and good price.
    Gash.