Recommendation for a router table

Discussion in 'DIY' started by Toland, Oct 6, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Mrs T has decided to renew her love of wood crafting and has requested I purchase her a router table( and router) so she can make stuff, it keeps her off the wine so saves me grief.
    I am not after anything too expensive, say a couple of hundred pounds with the router and various bits included so can anyone give me some advice on what I should be looking for.
    Thanks in advance

2. Trend make professional stuff and are good but if I were yoi I would wait until ALDI have them in store, they are not bad and do a decent job, cheap as well so you get more bang for your buck!

3. Trend - mega bucks but nice

Ferm - not quite as pricey but not bad

Wolfcraft - they do a reasonably priced folding one.

Aldi - still good if it's just for the shed.

The router is the crux of it, are you making mouldings from softwood or hard wood?

How deep do you need to go?

4. I believe she will be making mouldings with both hard and soft wood, as for depth I should think mostly quite shallow but I will ask her later and get a definite answer.

5. Get around a 2KW in a 1/2" if it's hardwood.

Others will say thats overkill but I have seen too many 1/4 routers that died a death, you can also handily use it to do worktops.

6. Bosch for router and table, not the cheapest, but the tables, and rails, for longer work pieces make them far more capable than the run of the mill stuff. Buy a cheap one and you'll end up replacing it.
    Wolfcraft make some good jointing jigs though, finger/dovetailing for workpieces up to 22mm thick.

7. Bosch and Makita have always done good routers as have Dewalt.

The trouble with Dewalt is that the servicing and warranty is crap as they fob you off with service agents, of which there are not that many these days, Makita and Bosch have a much faster turn around time as they take on repairs in house in 5 working days. Bosch will actualy pick up dead blue kit from you by carrier and send it back to you FOC if it's in the warranty period.

8. I have a selection of routers from a big thing from B&Q to a small one, with about four other sizes inbetween, I dont know the makes but I choose the motor size for the job. if its hard wood then its usually a large size which I also use for a routing job thats going to take alot of routing as the motor wont get burnt out. For the small fiddly jobs obviously a small router. I have a home made router table similar to that made in the New wankee Workshop which does the job excelently and a plate which fits all my routers. took a while to build but well worth the effort!

9. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

not had much call for a table but it might be worth scouring ebay for a start and looking up kits as often you can get the router table for an extra 50 quid.

1/4 inch ones will chatter and stutter in a table, they also wear if abused but most 1/2 inch are pretty indestructable.

10. I have recently bought a book called, Complete Routing by Alan Holtham, ISBN 978-0-9557935-1-6 ( a complete guide to the latest routing products and techniques) sponsored & published by Trend, for £20, theres some very valuable information for beginers and also for the experienced carpenter. worth looking at. Covers everything including router tables even making your own![​IMG]

11. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

is that one of those marital aid books then - like the joy of shelves?

12. I is, it Will keep you out of harms way for many hours!

13. Cheers for the book details Chunkie, just bought off ebay.