Recommendation for a beginners camera

Discussion in 'Photography' started by Zarathustra, Jun 23, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm trying to find things to fill the large amount of spare time I now have on my hands and one of the things I've always wanted to do was take up photography, so I've decided to give it a bash.

Aside from a couple of weeks doing photography at Lydd a few years ago I've got no experience (I don't count the odd holiday/tour photo).

Can some one recommend a good beginner level camera and some good website for me to take a look at?

Cheers
    -Crow

2. You wanting a digital SLR?

3. Yes, probably should've made that clearer.

4. You can pick up a 2nd hand Canon 350d DSLR with extra lenses etc for a very reasonable price on ebay. Unless you want to buy new?

That's what I did. Very happy with the camera.

5. Or, you could buy one of these?

snaphappy_0_innerbig.jpg

6. Too many flowers for my liking and not pink enough, will have a look on ebay though, thanks.

7. 123

123 LE

Why not just use your phone​

8. Why not kill yourself?

• Like Like x 1
  9. http://m.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond200
    That's my camera but things will have moved on since I bought that. I don't change them often so I get the best I can afford at the time.
    It'll just give you a bit of an idea. People will argue Nikon V Canon but I've always had Nikons.

• Like Like x 1
  10. 123

123 LE

Oh dear

11. I wouldn't worry about Nikon v Canon, but I would select either or.

Many of the other marques give you great value for money and are extremely good cameras, but with Nikon or Canon you know your investment in terms of lenses and other accessories will stand you in good stead. Other manufacturers tend to change their mount system or overall design fairly frequently, the 'big two' tend to endure.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

In terms of websites, I'd seriously recommend Talk Photography. The amount of information and knowledge available on there is huge.

Any of the recent Canon or Nikon's will be easily adequate to produce good photos once you get to grip with them. By recent, I mean the last 5 years or so. Cameras that are supposedly four generations old (Canon 20D, Nikon D40 etc) are still bloody good & can be picked up for sub £200.

More thoughts later, I've got a triathlon to photograph in 6 hours! :)