Recommend me a gas stove?

Preferably small cheap, and light!

Thanks

I'm using the same cooker as Blob, I have been toying with the idea of a jetboil?
hexi is always good as a back up especially if you end up on crab air and they take your gas canister off of you! Yor Q&M's don't do nice little butane cans - plenty of hexi though!

I used the hexi cooker on Herrick in the desert, it emitted no light at all. The QM's will not re-supp gas, so stick to hexi...It's free for a start!!

I have a Jetboil - it is great - it will do 2 cups worth of water in 3 mins. A tin of soup is a bit quicker at 2 mins on full power. I have also fried an egg in it - but won't do that again - it took me ages to clean it!. The obvious drawback is that you cannot take cas cannisters on a flight with you - but they can be shipped through the post. Just order some before you go to be delivered at your address on ops.

I also have a MSR fuel stove - better than the Jetboil as it will burn any form of combustible liquid fuel including diesel. The drawback is that it stays hot for a little while and may not be any good if you have to pack up and go quite quickly. Not a problem for me as I am RLC and we never do anything quickly.

Jetboil in daysack - Fuel stove in webbing - and I hardly leave the office nowadays. Great stuff.

Does this make me a fuel stove walt?

I'm with Blob and stitch.

I use a (brand new so haven't used it yet) Jet Boil. I was lent one by a (VERY) good friend. They are mint.

Have carried a hexi since basic (probably the same one), then moved to the crusader.

I have a multi stove too. Useful when on det. but not when on shanks pony.

MSR Pocket Rocket for Exercise.

Hexi for on tour - You don't want to be trying to source gas tins every couple of weeks when you're in a FOB.

Closet_Jibber said:
MSR Pocket Rocket for Exercise.

Hexi for on tour - You don't want to be trying to source gas tins every couple of weeks when you're in a FOB.
MSR pocket rocket, excellent piece of kit, trust me it's not called rocket for nothing, the little bastard produces the biggest flame i've seen from a gas stove! I always carry a hexi stove though, if I run out of gas or the stove breaks.

My brother has a coleman stove that he's going to give me. When I look online it says coleman gas must be used, is this really necessary or can I use any gas as long as it's got the correct screw fitting?

have to agree with everyone here Pocket Rocket is the best but the gas runs out pretty quickly. Gas is quite expensive and would be hard to find on ops i suppose. Hexi's fine though

tommy_cooker said:
have to agree with everyone here Pocket Rocket is the best but the gas runs out pretty quickly. Gas is quite expensive and would be hard to find on ops i suppose. Hexi's fine though
And yet your name is "tommy_cooker" :D

andb, you don't need Colemans fuel for their multi-fuel cookers. Refer to instructions for what you can use instead, and the problems* that this will bring.

*Nothing that bad, mainly increased fouling.

If you've lost your instructions (like I have) see here for pdf manuals.

andb said:
My brother has a coleman stove that he's going to give me. When I look online it says coleman gas must be used, is this really necessary or can I use any gas as long as it's got the correct screw fitting?[/quote]

I have an a small old coleman stove which I have used for years. In that time it has had all sorts of canisters fitted to it, from the proper coleman gas to the type meant for a blow torch from a hardware shop (bit of a balancing act).

I wouldn't pay £££££s for the latest fashion stove, get a cheapie and use hexi as a back up!

A civvy Campingaz stove. I've been using them for years, and the gas lasts for ages, however the stove needs looking after as it's a bit fragile.
Again, hexy for ops. The gas stove is fairly compact (although nowhere near a pocket rocket) but the gas isn't, and I want my stove to fit in my webbing. Also, it'd be just my luck to get shot in the gas cylinder :)

brucewillis said:
andb said:
My brother has a coleman stove that he's going to give me. When I look online it says coleman gas must be used, is this really necessary or can I use any gas as long as it's got the correct screw fitting?[/quote]

I have an a small old coleman stove which I have used for years. In that time it has had all sorts of canisters fitted to it, from the proper coleman gas to the type meant for a blow torch from a hardware shop (bit of a balancing act).

I wouldn't pay £££££s for the latest fashion stove, get a cheapie and use hexi as a back up!
The bugger just broke this week, you couldn't make it up could you!

And to be fair to Coleman, Its made by Epigas or something.

MSR all the way!! I had an early version of one it was the only thing that would make a boiling hot cuppa at altitude and would use more than one fuel, jet boil does a job but what are you going to dump to make space for it great for a quick cuppa from the back of a landy.

Hexy is free