recommend me a 4WD - or not....

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by cokecan, Jun 15, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. have a seemingly insurmountable problem:

i do about 35k on motorways per year, 99.99% of my driving is A road/Mway, 50mpg, 60+mph boring stuff - however, i live 2 miles up a steepish lane that will never see a gritter before the end of time, and last winter i was stuck, completely stuck - for several weeks we were unable to leave our house, and only the kindness of neighbours with proper 4WD's stopped us starving to death and being sacked.

my current wagon, a 56 2.0 TDCI mondeo estate, is wonderful - its utterly reliable, masses of room, comfortable to drive, gets 50-55mpg and is cheap to run, however it won't do 2 miles of upto 1in6 ice - even with those fancy 'snow glove' things on the tyres.

so advice please - will a 'normal car' with 4WD (Volvo, Audi, Skoda Subaru etc..) do the deed - 50mpg, and the ice wall - or will i need to get a 'proper' farm gate Landy-type thing for the ice wall and a 'normal' 2WD car for my 35k of motorway driving?

realisticly my budget is going to be about £8k.

ideas?

2. A 2 litre Subaru Forester will give you the room etc but the mpg will be about 27.

3. Audi allroad/quattro TDI? or Volvo XC70 maybe?
    most 2.0l 'proper' 4x4 (Nissan Xtrail, Freelander, Hyundai, Kia etc etc) will only give about a max of 40mpg but they will get you up the ice wall.

4. Volvo XC70 - go anywhere estate car with good MPG.

Having lived and worked in the North of Sweden in the depths of winter, it's the only way to get around, in style and comfort. Highly Recommended and there's plenty around 2nd hand within your budget.

5. Buy youself a £1k fourtrak or something similar and leave it at the end of the road, that way you can keep your " utterly reliable" "56 2.0 TDCI mondeo estate" and just play in your old shitty motor when you need to.

6. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I have a similiar situation. Audi quattro is the best compromise solution the big 4x4's are big, heavy and you lose on handling, performance and economy. Ideally the new'ish Audi option of air suspension raising the car up a few cm's for the odd times you actually need the extra ground clearance.

7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I had one for a short time, did not work for me. Up and down hills with sharp bends it was rubbish, just too much inertia going on - fine on the flat and on reasonable curves though for such a big vehicle.
    Its also a bus - narrow lanes, villages and car parks were a nightmare.

8. If you go for a Land Rover try a Discovery 4. Quick, not bad fuel economy and can do the off raod stuff convincingly.

9. TheIronDuke

TheIronDuke LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for your input girls, and your comments on upping the air suspension on an Audi barge were most welcome. Thanks.

Land Rover Defender. It'll cost you between £2k and £10k, depending on spec. It'll do 60mph on the motorway all day long, then climb a mountain and pull a house down. Go for the 300tdi rather than the girly V8.

OK, so your kids are strapped into the back benches in what looks like a bondage harness. Just turn up X-Ray Specs to volume 11 on the stereo and spit upon Audi driving girls.

10. I bought an Audi Allroad just before Christmas and that was just as well - apart from the tractors and Landys it was the only thing going in and out of the village in 9" of snow. The adjustable suspension gives you lots of clearance off-road and can be cranked down low for better fuel economy (did 1400 motorway miles last weekend across Europe at a shade under 40mpg).

Only downside is that they're not cheap and there aren't many around second hand. I believe that Skoda have their own versions which, second hand, might be better for your budget.

11. TheIronDuke

Are you a print rep? Just an associate of mine wants some leaflets delivered. Cash up front, yeah?

Jesus. Right my friends, ignore the air suspension bolloks of the fairy side of the street.

I shall say this once, and I shall not be in the mood for fucking questions, all right?

Land Rover

Are we clear?

12. TheIronDuke

Hey, sorry.

I come from a broken home.

13. Fronty

Fronty Old-Salt Book Reviewer

For the number of miles that you do, and for the number of times that you need proper 4WD, you are far better buying a cheap 4x4 and just leaving it down the bottom of the road like DFM said.

If you get something with proper low ratio as a day to day car and do that sort of mileage, you are going to get shafted on fuel, probably on road tax as well, so it would make a lot more sense to buy an old fourtrak/frontera/hilux/whatever and just use that as and when needed.

I mean, my Frontera has low ratio, has done 200k+ miles and still works. With the right tyres, it can cope with anything. You can get slightly dented ones with less mileage for under a grand on eBay...

14. Alsacien

I beg to differ I drive a Range Rover 4.4 V8 yes it is big and weighs 3 tonnes, but the performance and handling are excellent, not too good on the juice but I am converting to LPG so I have the duel fuel option.

The best option for this guy would be a long wheel base defender superb workhorse.

Magic

15. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I guess it depends on your personal expectations regarding performance and handling..... :)