Recommend a rucksack

Durandal1

Old-Salt
Acquired one modelled on the NI Patrol pack in coyote tan.

Was my pack of choice at the start of the current apocalypse before walking stopped. Cracking design and not in military colours*. I leave that to the screaming Prepper/Ramboista and their bug-out bag w*nk fest.

Excellent load capacity at 40litres, enough to go out overnight if you wanted. Not enough space to take the kitchen sink, and so makes you think "do I actually take it?"

*Though it did have my subdued Union Flag Thin Blue Line patch on it. Getting even more worn with age now (Does Jesse Ventura voice - "Just like me").

I got a Highlander branded one from these people.
Patrol Pack Heavy Duty Military Rucksack 40 Litre
Absolutely bloody bombproof...
ruck.jpg

StormsInAfrica

War Hero
hazard4_patrol_pack_thermo_cap_daypack_BLK_4.jpg

I can highly recommend Hazard 4. I have their patrol pack. 1000D cordura and good for both work and treks out. They are pricey (though not Mystery Ranch pricey) but i've given mine 3 years of daily use and out most weekends and it hasn't lost so much as a stitch.

StormsInAfrica

War Hero
Important that it's the SF range, not the high st/sprtsdirect version

I’ve looked at these. In particular their new Odin bag. My requirement really is for being able to do the weekly shop and get it home on the bike. I take it from your comment the “high street” Karrimor bags are of lower quality with the SF bags justifying their price? Don’t mind paying more if the quality is justified.

Never had any trouble with Berghaus, they seem to fit me and don’t seem to wear out much. Ospreys are expensive and never used to come with a rain cover, you used to have to buy it separately, that may have changed.

I don’t have an Alpkit sack but a fair amount of their other kit and I really like it. It’s not all UK made, but this page will tell you what is if that matters to you:

UK Made

I’ve looked at these. In particular their new Odin bag. My requirement really is for being able to do the weekly shop and get it home on the bike. I take it from your comment the “high street” Karrimor bags are of lower quality with the SF bags justifying their price? Don’t mind paying more if the quality is justified.

I have a Karrimor Predator 45 as my proper hillwalking bag. Picked it up probably around 2016.

It has taken serious (and I mean serious) use in woods, mountains and deserts.

Never failed me, it will in all likelihood outlast me and be hander over to Master Boumer when I am too busted up to fly. For cutting around town stuff, it's probably overkill. You can live out of this for days, and womble up some serious mountains with it.

M012-Predator-Patrol-45-Coyote-5.jpg

I have an Osprey Atmos 65 which is the comfiest and best bergan that I have tried. The hip belt is amazing and makes a heavier pack feel very manageable. The quality seems to be excellent as well. My GF also has one and she was more than happy with it when we did the 30 miler last year and a few other yomps over Dartmoor and Brecon.

I am looking at getting a couple of Osprey Stratos 34's for simple day hiking. Although the Atmos 65's are ok with the straps tightened with less kit.

Never had any trouble with Berghaus, they seem to fit me and don’t seem to wear out much. Ospreys are expensive and never used to come with a rain cover, you used to have to buy it separately, that may have changed.

I don’t have an Alpkit sack but a fair amount of their other kit and I really like it. It’s not all UK made, but this page will tell you what is if that matters to you:

UK Made

Alpkit, not the best price and not the best performance but definitely the best price/performance ratio.

I take it from your comment the “high street” Karrimor bags are of lower quality with the SF bags justifying their price? Don’t mind paying more if the quality is justified.

Karrimor SF is the old Karrimor who built their reputation, Karrimor now is just a brand owned by Sports Direct.

Berghaus Munro

Won't go wrong with one of these.

The old (1990's?) Karrimor are all good. SF range still are.
The other Karrimor 'modern' ones are just a badge & 30% price hike on generic cheap packs.

Have a look in charity shops.
One pack I wish I'd kept was a 50L (maybe it was 45? +20 in the pockets) Lowe Alpine. Fold flat side pockets, quite 'stocky' but not too wide. internal support, two malleable alu strips. Gave it to my mate exactly so he could do shopping/scrounging on his pedal bike.
Still going strong 15 years later.