Recommend a rucksack

I don't want to end up on the Hillwalking Stupidity thread, and therefore I'd like to take more stuff with me.
I just took receipt of Craghoppers' finest Made in China 30L rucksack, but it's way smaller than I imagined. Nice, but has pockets for credit cards and iPad®, so more suited to cycling round Hoxton then tramping up hills.

Anyone got any suggestions?

Buy something not Made in China ?

mogreby

Old-Salt
I have an Osprey talon 44 I use most - some people find osprey has too many straps but I like it, can cinch it down for smaller loads etc. I find that 10kg is pretty much the upper limit for a comfortable carry but 10kg is a lot of kit in the civvy world. Great for overnights etc.

Bit of a left field suggestion.

35 litre Dutch military daysac. Well balanced, solid as a rock, nigh-on indestructible in daily use.

1620322049292.png

Last edited:
I think it'll be a while before anything not made in China becomes predominant. At least you've not purchased directly from Xdingdong Rucksack Ltd.

any particular wants&needs?
Deuter are good ...Some osprey are nice, , canbe expensve. I've got a talon that is theroretically brilliant, just doesn't suit me, but another one (dunno model) is great for around town, but terrible for 'the hills'. can be expensive...alpkit can be good - waterproof, cheap, GBR...
I have a lovely Grivel daysack from Needlesports in Keswick (?). Great black diamond climbing/alpine pack that works really well for shopping, bizarrely!

Osprey used to be 40% off with DDS, now it's only 20% but that's better than nothing...

I think it'll be a while before anything not made in China becomes predominant. At least you've not purchased directly from Xdingdong Rucksack Ltd.

Thing is - it doesn't need to be that way.

Living in this country, as a 30 - 50 year old I needed to earn enough wages to pay for a mortgage, kids education and pension.

At 60+ I find myself with the costs/ loss of earnings due to divorce.
I mean - who here ever put that into their life plan?

So there must be a bunch of 50- 70 year olds who still need to make a bit of top up dosh.

I think manufacturing with sewing machines an ideal solution to this.

For me it's a Berghaus Munro (about 18 years old; simple and robust) or a Camelbak Talon (Sandy coloured):

1620326463019.png

1620325807903.png

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
If you don't mind it in DPM.. an NI patrol daysack. I use mine all the time either out walking or for fishing.. Cracking bit of kit.
Hmmm...glad to hear you say that...I have one in the cupboard, might hoik it out and give it a wander.

The_Poltroon

Old-Salt
I quite like my Berghaus 35 + 8 freeflow for half a days wandering around the Brecon Beacons. Easy to throw a set of waterproofs inside as well as a couple of water bottles, a bit of lunch, a flask and a few other bits. It comes with a sternum strap, waist strap and a nifty little cover to pop on it when it starts raining. The back system lets air circulate and it’s generally not a bad little pack at all.

Anything more demanding and I use my old PLCE issue bergen ... side pouches on (which I find handier)

If you don't mind it in DPM.. an NI patrol daysack. I use mine all the time either out walking or for fishing.. Cracking bit of kit.

Acquired one modelled on the NI Patrol pack in coyote tan.

Was my pack of choice at the start of the current apocalypse before walking stopped. Cracking design and not in military colours*. I leave that to the screaming Prepper/Ramboista and their bug-out bag w*nk fest.

Excellent load capacity at 40litres, enough to go out overnight if you wanted. Not enough space to take the kitchen sink, and so makes you think "do I actually take it?"

*Though it did have my subdued Union Flag Thin Blue Line patch on it. Getting even more worn with age now (Does Jesse Ventura voice - "Just like me").

I have two Berghaus rucksacks; a daysack and a Munro or something, with side pouches. Something weird seems to happen to them when they get older. The proofing on the inside starts to peel off. They're still usable, but it makes them look a bit tatty.
I've had my Berghaus Roc 2 for 25 years or do.. Still going strong. Olive green. Superb bit of kit

Cruthin1967

Old-Salt
I don't want to end up on the Hillwalking Stupidity thread, and therefore I'd like to take more stuff with me.
I just took receipt of Craghoppers' finest Made in China 30L rucksack, but it's way smaller than I imagined. Nice, but has pockets for credit cards and iPad®, so more suited to cycling round Hoxton then tramping up hills.

Anyone got any suggestions?
Montane every time. Really hard wearing and excellent waterproofing. Have had one for 10+ years and it's still fine. UK company based somewhere in the North East.

Latest Threads