Recommend a Book for a good laugh

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by bitterandtwisted, Aug 20, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I am big fan of books that me make laugh.

Happyslapped by Jellyfish by Karl pilkington has had me wetting myself.

But I am big fan of the podcasts, by listening to his drivel..

However my question is this. Is there any good book fellow arrsers can recommed which is full wit and droll...which will have me laughing like a loon.

Greatful for some suggestions except Viz.

So come on what is the funniest book you have ever read? I am open to any type of theme, military or not.

2. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Pretty well any of the Night Watch Books in the Discworld series by Terry Prattchet, If you like "Noir Homage" "Aberystwyth Mon Amour", "The Unbearable Lightness of Being in Aberystwyth", "Last Tango in Aberystwyt"h, and "Dont Cry for Me Aberystwyth" all by Malcolm Pryce. Any of the Flashman books, and "Don't Cry for Me Sergeant Major" which contains once of the best quotes that I've ever heard about the run up to the Falkland Islands Campaign (Bootie Sergeant to Bootie who is leaving a pub: "Are there many in there?" Bootie: "Yes Sarge" Bootie Sergeant: "Sh1t, It wasn't like this in "The Longest Day"").

3. Labour Party Manifesto.

4. More Horses Arse by Carlie Adams is good for a fair few chuckles
    Failing that the classic Spike Milliagans Adolf Hitler and my part in his downfall

5. Anything by Robert Rankin if you like surreal plot twists, parodies and in-jokes. And Elvis. And brussels sprouts.

6. Bill Bryson's book about travelling around UK made me laugh out loud -'Journey round a small island?'

7. Round Ireland with a Fridge by Tony Hawkes (Funny bloke not the septic skateboarder)

[​IMG]

laughed hugely.

8. i have the Milligan Book and the Bryson ones but thanks anyhow guys...

Couldnt really get into rankin but still open minded, to give it another shot

9. any more recommends guys?

10. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

My 18-year-old and I have both enjoyed

'An Utterly Impartial History of Britain or 2000 years of Upper Class Idiots in charge' by John O'Farrell.

11. Mm there food for thought - I quite like Mr C also

12. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Have you done 'Picking up the Brass' yet?

13. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

The RAF drill manual.

14. No have heard reports - is it must buy, I know convoy and riggers wrote it , they stopped printing when I wanted to buy a copy.

15. Pretty much anything by Tom Sharpe is worth a look.

George MacDonald Fraser's McAuslan books are fantastic reads if you want to keep it in a more military vein though.